Showing results 1 to 25 of 398
Search took 0.07 seconds.
Search: Posts Made By: Schurkey
Forum: Pontiac - Street 04-22-2024, 01:49 AM
Replies: 43
Views: 1,830
Posted By Schurkey
Yeah, GM kept that a complete secret. Who would...

Yeah, GM kept that a complete secret. Who would have ever guessed that there was a resistor bypass wire? Certainly not an outside company designing products to be used on GM products. (Moreover,...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 04-19-2024, 04:38 PM
Replies: 43
Views: 1,830
Posted By Schurkey
I haven't dicked with points for thirty years. I...

I haven't dicked with points for thirty years. I make sure that every vehicle I own has an electronic ignition; and there's none better than the good ol' GM Delco HEI in good usable condition. The...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 04-02-2024, 01:14 AM
Replies: 20
Views: 1,200
Posted By Schurkey
If you readjust the choke pulloff, you also need...

If you readjust the choke pulloff, you also need to verify and perhaps readjust the linkage down to the fast idle cam.

The pulloff gets adjusted so the engine runs right--not too rich, not too...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 04-02-2024, 12:17 AM
Replies: 15
Views: 678
Posted By Schurkey
I don't understand why folks want to crank the...

I don't understand why folks want to crank the engine longer than needed. Fire the biitch up, get the oil pump spinning. Oil pressure builds quickly, oil film wedge builds almost instantly. Oil...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 03-27-2024, 11:11 PM
Replies: 8
Views: 580
Posted By Schurkey
I try to start all my core engines...assuming...

I try to start all my core engines...assuming they're in fully-assembled condition to begin with. Fresh oil and filter is recommended.
Forum: Pontiac - Street 03-25-2024, 05:10 PM
Replies: 31
Views: 1,621
Posted By Schurkey
Several errors and outright omissions in that...

Several errors and outright omissions in that video, none of which really matter. Kinda torques my jowls, though.

Also some good tips--using a spark tester in addition to an ohmmeter to test...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 03-24-2024, 03:53 AM
Replies: 23
Views: 1,043
Posted By Schurkey
First Guess: Both of you need to put the Severe...

First Guess: Both of you need to put the Severe Duty fan clutch in the recycle bin, and get a fan clutch actually recommended for your vehicles...which is almost certainly the standard-duty clutch. ...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 03-17-2024, 01:18 AM
Posted By Schurkey
Worthwhile. Good news. Not...

Worthwhile.

Good news.

Not unusual.

I have the sense that you won't feel right until you inspect the lifters and cam lobes. I suggest you remove and disassemble them one at a time for...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 03-13-2024, 07:01 PM
Replies: 13
Views: 667
Posted By Schurkey
You are WAY more generous than I would be. I'd...

You are WAY more generous than I would be. I'd cut those prices in half.

Remember that this engine was so disappointing that the previous owner cut his losses after twenty miles.
Forum: Pontiac - Street 03-11-2024, 03:23 AM
Replies: 25
Views: 998
Posted By Schurkey
I'd be ten times more likely to cram-in a 4L80E...

I'd be ten times more likely to cram-in a 4L80E or similar (4L85E) than to buy and build-up a 200-4R.

The '80E is inherently much stronger than the 200, but would need an electronic controller,...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 03-10-2024, 07:42 PM
Replies: 64
Views: 2,873
Posted By Schurkey
Tires last fifteen minutes, or fifteen years. ...

Tires last fifteen minutes, or fifteen years. Depends on how they're used.

The tire industry has some *insane* recommendations, clearly designed by product-liability lawyers not engineers.

Forum: Pontiac - Street 03-10-2024, 07:29 PM
Replies: 39
Views: 2,024
Posted By Schurkey
Thinnest oil that gives acceptable hot idle oil...

Thinnest oil that gives acceptable hot idle oil pressure, within reason.

GM went on a big crusade decades ago to get people away from 10W-40. This was beaten into our heads at the GM Dealership...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 03-09-2024, 01:20 AM
Replies: 16
Views: 1,045
Posted By Schurkey
Sure. Warm or cold, doesn't make a lot of...

Sure. Warm or cold, doesn't make a lot of difference. Cold tends to produce slightly lower pressures. Yes, absolutely disconnect power from the HEI for the reasons described previously.

Some...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 03-04-2024, 02:36 AM
Replies: 15
Views: 933
Posted By Schurkey
Theoretically, you don't need to leave the...

Theoretically, you don't need to leave the solenoid off to pull the drive into engagement with the ring gear. The starter housing has a slot on the underside that you cram a pick or thin screwdriver...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 03-04-2024, 12:46 AM
Posted By Schurkey
Ideally you would NOT pull plug wires off the...

Ideally you would NOT pull plug wires off the plugs with the engine running. This is very hard on the insulation of the secondary side of the ignition system, including the windings inside the...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 02-29-2024, 02:55 AM
Replies: 26
Views: 1,524
Posted By Schurkey
Sam Agnew had a major issue with Fel-Pro 1018...

Sam Agnew had a major issue with Fel-Pro 1018 gaskets, there's an oblong hole in them that was allowing an oil path on his home-ported Edelbrock heads. He replaced the oblong-hole Fel-Pros with...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 02-25-2024, 11:45 PM
Views: 1,482
Posted By Schurkey
You can be just about guaranteed that the rear...

You can be just about guaranteed that the rear leaf springs are broken if they're OEM GM springs--never mind the actual original springs the car was born with.

Firebird, Camaro, NOVA (Nova, Omega,...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 02-25-2024, 01:10 AM
Replies: 19
Views: 939
Posted By Schurkey
Every manufacturer I can think of mounted...

Every manufacturer I can think of mounted oil-filled coils on the engine, Pontiac included. Yes, the coil was typically mounted fairly close to the distributor.

The problem now is not so much...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 02-21-2024, 09:10 PM
Replies: 21
Views: 1,199
Posted By Schurkey
...and a thicker head gasket kills quench/squish,...

...and a thicker head gasket kills quench/squish, also leading to potentially more knock/ping.
Forum: Pontiac - Street 02-17-2024, 11:19 AM
Replies: 18
Views: 714
Posted By Schurkey
The "Ford solenoid" on the fender doesn't work...

The "Ford solenoid" on the fender doesn't work with typical permanent-magnet gear reduction (PMGR) starters. The starter doesn't disengage cleanly, so they tend to grind the flywheel and starter...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 02-15-2024, 08:11 PM
Replies: 10
Views: 689
Posted By Schurkey
396???

396???
Forum: Pontiac - Street 02-15-2024, 05:08 PM
Posted By Schurkey
When I mentioned high-failure Communist Crap...

When I mentioned high-failure Communist Crap ignition coils, the MSD Blaster 2 is among the ones I have in mind.

A properly-made oil-filled coil is totally non-sensitive to the angle it's mounted...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 02-14-2024, 09:42 PM
Replies: 22
Views: 1,393
Posted By Schurkey
An important issue that wasn't addressed: Debris...

An important issue that wasn't addressed: Debris put inside the engine due to the top-end service work.

I'm specifically talking about cleaning gasket surfaces with "surface conditioning discs"...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 02-14-2024, 09:02 PM
Posted By Schurkey
Oil-filled canister coils can be mounted in any...

Oil-filled canister coils can be mounted in any position you can imagine, from straight-up to straight-down, and anywhere in between.

Mopar, Ford, and Jaguar used to lay 'em on their sides. Chevy...
Forum: Pontiac - Street 02-11-2024, 11:56 PM
Replies: 8
Views: 472
Posted By Schurkey
1. The thrust plate is hardened. The iron or...

1. The thrust plate is hardened. The iron or aluminum cam gear isn't going to wear it. Pontiac--and others--built millions of engines without roller thrust bearings on the cam gear, and the only...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 398