PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   BATHTUB INTAKE (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647962)

Ducks Goat 07-16-2019 08:51 PM

I'm in as well, maybe even for 2 if the price is right.

62cat 07-26-2019 09:34 AM

I'm in also. My 62 needs one.

Baron Von Zeppelin 07-26-2019 10:13 AM

Would the proposed SchmidtMotorWorks final product be ABS plastic ?

Would the process stop there and you guys run ABS ?
Or would an ABS unit be used as a template to make a mold for casting in aluminum ?

I'm just curious , is all.

Quote:

SchmidtMotorWorks ---
Durability of a printed manifold is variable. My experience has been with using ABS.
It is inexpensive and easy to print but is only good for testing.
Ideally on a dyno.

tom s 07-26-2019 10:47 AM

Jon is out of town right now.We will get together.FYI,I will not be doing one for pre65 heads if it ever comes to pass.!Tom

mgarblik 07-26-2019 12:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin (Post 6044050)
Would the proposed SchmidtMotorWorks final product be ABS plastic ?

Would the process stop there and you guys run ABS ?
Or would an ABS unit be used as a template to make a mold for casting in aluminum ?

I'm just curious , is all.

Parts can be 3D printed in a wide variety of metals. I am assuming they would be 3D printed in aluminum. I could be wrong. I would be OK with some sort of plastic. Painted, most people would never know.

I was at an AMC race about 15 years ago, (Yea, no kidding), and a guy had made his own tunnel ram for his 390 AMX out of sheet Lexan, lexan tubes, glue and screws. It was cool and ran strong. Where there is a will, there is a way to get it done.

Skip Fix 07-26-2019 03:41 PM

I always though AMXs esp with fat slicks were cool looking! But hey I like Pontiacs and 409s!

There were some guys racing AMCs in the old NMCA Top Stock classes back in the 90s I raced against. T.D. Holland was one that always ran fast. He and his brother had a wrecking yard so a plentiful parts supply. One weekend in Memphis is hood popped loose on the big end hitting the windshield. Brother was there the next day with a new windshield and hood!

74SDformula 10-01-2019 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Davis (Post 6041193)
Agree Stan. There should be enough people that would Pony Up the cash up front so no one has to invest heavily. Hopefully Jon would be interested in help make this happen.

Mike, it was great to talk to you the other day. I REALLY hope you are able to make something happen on this deal!

brut4s 10-01-2019 11:30 PM

Me too!

tom s 10-02-2019 08:26 PM

I talked to Jon,without a late model to copy there wont be any made.I have not been able to put my hands on a late style intake.Tom

mgarblik 10-02-2019 08:34 PM

How many late model style manifolds were made? And do we know who has them? I have a feeling if each owner was contacted, one of them would allow a copy to be made. I could be wrong. Some people do want to have all the cool stuff for their own. I think I will be going the DCI Ram Air V route on my 62 Catalina, so my interest is waning somewhat. Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one though.

tom s 10-02-2019 10:02 PM

Randy Williams made all of the late models.I had 3 diff versions in my hands at one time for dyno work.I have contacted the owner of the stuff now and he has not replied back to me.I want one for my 62 421 GP with late heads.Tom

mgarblik 10-03-2019 08:50 AM

So if I understand you correctly, one person has ALL the late model versions in his sole possession now? None made it out into other private collections or on other race cars or street cars? If that's the case, the project could get much more complicated. Good luck.

tom s 10-03-2019 10:16 AM

Some had made it out.There is one on the 2 door 63 tempest wagon that Randy built.There have been some conversions done,in fact I did one and a board member now owns it.I have spent too much time thinking about doing this.It is now in someone else's hands to deal with it.Tom

ANDYA 10-11-2019 09:47 AM

Tom, do you know if anyone is going to take on the project? I'm still in for one and possibly a friend of mine wants one.

tom s 10-11-2019 09:54 AM

No clue,unless a late style falls into my lap its not going to happen from me.Tom

brut4s 01-25-2020 11:30 PM

Saw this on Facebook
https://m.facebook.com/groups/429669...13054209168748

Mike Davis 01-25-2020 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brut4s (Post 6104048)

For those not on facebook? What does it say?
Link does not show anything.

tom s 01-25-2020 11:59 PM

Same for me Mike

brut4s 01-26-2020 01:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go

R 70 Judge 01-26-2020 06:15 AM

I leave for a few years and the thread came back from the dead. lol! I just finished reading and catching up.

Tom, it’s a shame this never got done. Back when we talked about this even with scanning your bathtub it still would’ve been an expensive project. Hard to break even. I wanted the bathtub to happen so bad. I wanted one for my ‘63. We probably would’ve taken a beating $$$.

The easy way would be to borrow the molds but that didn’t work out in 2010 and doesn’t seem like it will work out now. Such a shame. That intake is such a cool part.

You’re a really good guy for trying so hard to make this happen over the years. Glad you found the video I took of you backing out of the garage. I got to drive your ‘63 when it had the aluminum block and bathtub. Drove wonderfully. Such a fun car. Your RA5 ‘69 TA was a blast as well.

If you ever get this going, add me to the list. I don’t even have a build going but I’d take one just in case.