PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   78 and Newer G-body Pontiac TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=443)
-   -   Wife's aero coupe project (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655690)

RA462 04-10-2013 10:01 AM

I have been following along here. Nice work! One question is that a fiberglass rear bumper or are you painting the steel one?

Hammertime Mike 04-10-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RA462 (Post 4898912)
I have been following along here. Nice work! One question is that a fiberglass rear bumper or are you painting the steel one?

I've only got steel bumpers right now. I do want to go with fiberglass bumpers eventually. Same goes with that heavy aero coupe nose piece. Fiberglass would be nice. I've got the bumper with the bumper cover to make the repair and paint work easier. The original bumpers on the aero coupes were painted like a charcoal color. I've been going back and forth whether to go painted or chrome. The bumper covers have two rows of chrome that runs the width of the bumpers. Alone that would really stand out.

Hammertime Mike 04-10-2013 11:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Had an 80 degree day yesterday and took full advantage of it. Got some paint on the decklid and rear bumper cover. It'll be nice to get those parts on the car. Now on to the front fenders.

poncho447 04-11-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammertime Mike (Post 4898974)
I've only got steel bumpers right now. I do want to go with fiberglass bumpers eventually. Same goes with that heavy aero coupe nose piece. Fiberglass would be nice. I've got the bumper with the bumper cover to make the repair and paint work easier. The original bumpers on the aero coupes were painted like a charcoal color. I've been going back and forth whether to go painted or chrome. The bumper covers have two rows of chrome that runs the width of the bumpers. Alone that would really stand out.

Lauren Engineering makes fiberglass front and rear bumpers for 78-87 G-body if you didn't already know that. http://www.laureneng.com/

I have used their bumpers before. The fit, finish and quality is excellent...far superior to any other manufacturer i have used.

Great work BTW, you have far more ambition than me.

Hammertime Mike 04-11-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poncho447 (Post 4899596)
Lauren Engineering makes fiberglass front and rear bumpers for 78-87 G-body if you didn't already know that. http://www.laureneng.com/

I have used their bumpers before. The fit, finish and quality is excellent...far superior to any other manufacturer i have used.

Great work BTW, you have far more ambition than me.

Thanks for that info. I'll definately check them out. As for ambition, fortunately this is my own project, so I can work on it as the mood dictates.:D

Hammertime Mike 04-15-2013 10:50 AM

I had a chance to call Lauren Engineering. They seem to make all the aero coupe components. I was checking out their nose piece, supposed to be a direct replacement. I'd like to be able to put their fiberglass nose and fiberglass bumper on my car. Just don't think it will happen this year.

Hammertime Mike 04-15-2013 11:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The glass guy came over and took the rear window out of the car. He resealed it and added a new factory looking molding too. Needless to say I was nervous having that rear window taken out. Fortunately all went well.

Hammertime Mike 04-16-2013 06:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the rear glass back on the car with the new molding.

Hammertime Mike 04-17-2013 09:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
With the rear glass done, I can put the decklid on. I waited to buff the decklid until I got it back on the car. Here's a few photos.

Hammertime Mike 04-17-2013 07:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally the back of the aero coupe is together. As you can see I went with the chrome rear bumper. I did buy the chrome strips that go on the bumper cover.

BruceWilkie 04-20-2013 12:13 AM

Looks sweet Mike!

My 84 GP is for sale... 90 Firebird will be the focus of my attention... Wish I could do both.

Hammertime Mike 04-20-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceWilkie (Post 4906642)
Looks sweet Mike!

My 84 GP is for sale... 90 Firebird will be the focus of my attention... Wish I could do both.

Thanks Bruce. I'd love to add your 84 to my stable. Motor poor right now and at the rate I'm going. I've got 20 yrs worth of restore work in my own back yard.

Hammertime Mike 04-29-2013 10:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Started on the front fenders. This is the last of the "custom"color parts. The fenders are solid, just a lot of small dents. I wouldn't have believed it in the beginning, but I was able to use all the original sheet metal on this car.

Hammertime Mike 04-29-2013 02:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The body work is done on the fenders. Time for some block sanding.

Transporter 04-29-2013 03:31 PM

The back turned out great Mike, just enough chrome on that bumper to break it up but not enough to look outta place.

Stan

Hammertime Mike 04-30-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transporter (Post 4914165)
The back turned out great Mike, just enough chrome on that bumper to break it up but not enough to look outta place.

Stan

Thanks Stan, I agree. Really wasn't going to know for sure until I bolted it on. There's a fine line between looking right or looking wrong. I will be painting the front bumper. I'd like to go fiberglass eventually up front.

Hammertime Mike 05-02-2013 03:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
These g-body cars have what I call inner fenders. Just finished them. I sand blasted the rust areas. Etch primed,primed and painted using some old por-15 that I had left. I'm now ready to paint the front fenders.

triathlonx13 05-02-2013 04:03 PM

Look'n good - nice to see your getting to the other end of the car !

Hammertime Mike 05-02-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triathlonx13 (Post 4916668)
Look'n good - nice to see your getting to the other end of the car !

Thanks, yea I'm flying at a snails pace:bored:

Hammertime Mike 05-03-2013 10:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Fenders are painted. Starting to run out of parts to paint.:hooray: