PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Speedmaster heads track results ? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851379)

Mike Davis 07-03-2021 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6261797)
The 461 I am building at this moment will not see a pump. It will see weight, ET and MPH and go from there. No used parts, well thought out Sparred little expense. Cam I am using made 815 and 865 HP on pump gas 535 and 505 engines. And will post what it does when ironed out and folks can say what they want no problem.
To me I would need to see a "wow" engine before I would think those Speedmasters are any better. Have not yet I need that before I throw my country under the bus on this.

If a 535 or 505 did not make at least those numbers I would be pissed.
The OP has a running engine and gave his results.
I have 3 sets of E heads and 2 sets of SM heads. I also do my own work, the SM heads are a decent head for a street/strip car.
You keep talking about these engines you are gonna build etc and keep throwing peoples names out there like you break bread with them daily.
How about instead of slamming everyone's build you spend the energy putting yours together and show us your Real World Experiences.

In fact, I will haul my home built, stock suspension, stock block, factory crank, Carter AFB fed 3750LB full interior street car all the way to Vegas for a match race with your light weight gutted 69 race car for $$$.

dragracerx2813 07-03-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Davis (Post 6261859)
I have 3 sets of E heads and 2 sets of SM heads. I also do my own work, the SM heads are a decent head for a street/strip car.
You keep talking about these engines you are gonna build etc and keep throwing peoples names out there like you break bread with them daily.
How about instead of slamming everyone's build you spend the energy putting yours together and show us your Real World Experiences.

In fact, I will haul my home built, stock suspension, stock block, factory crank, Carter AFB fed 3750LB full interior street car all the way to Vegas for a match race with your light weight gutted 69 race car for $$$.

It will never happen!

slowbird 07-03-2021 03:58 PM

[QUOTE=Dragncar;6261834]
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueghoast (Post 6261812)

What was the flow of the 2 heads ? Did yours have that little lip inside the intake port ? Seems like some have it and some don't. How big a valve can you fit in the SM head
E head will take a 2.25 and a High Port will take a 2.30".

Just clarify, both hp and e-heads have same valve spacing, so physical the same size valves will fit both heads.

Dragncar 07-03-2021 06:06 PM

Quote:

I am sure they are a decent street head for a "street car". Better head, better quality than a E head, thats the problem have. The very thing that started the whole real power deal for every single one of us. A industry stealing, copied, no R&D Chi Com head.
You should take offense to it too. But you jump all over them like its a good thing.
I am going to a rodeo, bull riding 4th of FREAKING JULY celebration with big fireworks today. "Merica" baby.
Stop it with you will tow to Vegas to race. No you won't.
BTW, few 505s have been past 860. Most have missed so save it.

Dragncar 07-03-2021 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=slowbird;6261896]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6261834)

Just clarify, both hp and e-heads have same valve spacing, so physical the same size valves will fit both heads.

Has anyone got a 2.30 valve in a E head ?

Mike Davis 07-03-2021 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6261920)

Apparently you don't know me. I put 15k+ miles a year on a rig just towing to the races.

slowbird 07-03-2021 08:14 PM

[QUOTE=Dragncar;6261921]
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowbird (Post 6261896)

Has anyone got a 2.30 valve in a E head ?

Doesn't matter if someone has, that doesn't change the fact that both heads have same spacing. But yes people have definitely ran bigger than 2.25 in e-heads

slowbird 07-03-2021 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Weiss (Post 6261811)
If that cam is from who I think. We are still waiting for him to post a dyno which shows those HP numbers. I mean a dyno sheet where all of the numbers add up.

Stan

He can show you one of my sheets and claim it's his. Does that count? Lol

dragracerx2813 07-04-2021 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6261920)
I am sure they are a decent street head for a "street car". Better head, better quality than a E head, thats the problem have. The very thing that started the whole real power deal for every single one of us. A industry stealing, copied, no R&D Chi Com head.
You should take offense to it too. But you jump all over them like its a good thing.
I am going to a rodeo, bull riding 4th of FREAKING JULY celebration with big fireworks today. "Merica" baby.

Maybe you need to reread the subject line. It doesn’t say anything about wanting a opinion. It say results.

Dragncar 07-04-2021 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=slowbird;6261939]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6261921)

Doesn't matter if someone has, that doesn't change the fact that both heads have same spacing. But yes people have definitely ran bigger than 2.25 in e-heads

The Gabby 400cfm E heads had 2.25, so did Brandywines. And Mikes.

Dragncar 07-04-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragracerx2813 (Post 6261996)
Maybe you need to reread the subject line. It doesn’t say anything about wanting a opinion. It say results.

It was a "opinion" that the SM heads are higher quality than Edelbrocks.
Not a direct comparison. Builds were different and the SM heads made a tad more power. Proves nothing.
We all have opinions. SM heads have slightly bigger ports stock. I can see it.
But until someone makes 740 on pump gas, stock block. Near 800 race gas or 900+ on a 535 SM heads are not better than Edelbrocks.
Yep, opinion.
We will probably never see a wide port SM head. Someone will have to go through a LOT of trouble when they can just order E heads with no pushrod holes.

Stan Weiss 07-04-2021 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowbird (Post 6261941)
He can show you one of my sheets and claim it's his. Does that count? Lol

Brian,
Here is one he can use.

Stan

Stan Weiss 07-04-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6262024)
Not a direct comparison. Builds were different and the SM heads made a tad more power. Proves nothing.
But until someone makes 740 on pump gas, stock block. Near 800 race gas or 900+ on a 535 SM heads are not better than Edelbrocks.
Yep, opinion.
We will probably never see a wide port SM head. Someone will have to go through a LOT of trouble when they can just order E heads with no pushrod holes.

No it was not. He look at both of them. Also please learn the difference between quality and performance. I has seen some heads that needed stop leak in the engine so that they wouldn't leak water into the engine set a nation record.

Stan

slowbird 07-04-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6262022)

The Gabby 400cfm E heads had 2.25, so did Brandywines. And Mikes.

Mike's was bigger. But again it DOESN'T matter both heads can physical fit the same valves!
Just because most haven't doesn't mean nothing or because 1 didn't it with HP heads doesn't mean it should be done either. Just means it can physical be done.

blueghoast 07-05-2021 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6262024)
Yep, opinion.

No, The SM heads made less power 1.6 less and 36 less torq, But with less
flow 5cfm less compression 3/4 of a point and had the stock valves.
I almost matched the power of the E-Head motor with the SM motor.
Other then those differances I was pretty well impressed. I can only
Emagine what will happen with more head work on the SM heads.
It's only a matter of Time.

GT

GTOGEORGE 07-05-2021 09:28 AM

The heads look nice………but the problem is it’s casted in China…..not the best country!

GTO George

blueghoast 07-05-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE (Post 6262167)
The heads look nice………but the problem is it’s casted in China…..not the best country!

GTO George

There cast in Australia not china. They have some bas ass stuff over there.

GT

Hammertime Mike 07-05-2021 06:34 PM

Other threads have corrected the made in China line. Yet it continues to prevail.

Dragncar 07-05-2021 08:50 PM

I bought a SPEEDMASTER !! 5 gallon fuel cell the same time some you bought heads in their last sale. Right on the box it says "Los Angeles, Sydney, SHANGHAI !!"
So, lots of people in Los Angeles are into hot rodding. It used to be the mecca of it. Plenty of Australians race American iron.
Hmm, Do folks in Communist CHINA, as in Shanghai race American iron ?
Well, I would say that is a big fat no. Those people have little FREEDOM to be into Hot Rods or race.
But what we all know is they "produce" lots and lots of parts for American Hot Rods. And they care little about copyright or manufacturing laws. I also bought a T400 yoke I am having second thoughts about actually using. The bar code on the box is fuzzy. Neither box,s say country of origin. Which is required by law. But we all know they care little about laws.
But Australia does, they would say its made in their country with pride.
I would say manufacturing is Shanghai,s end of the deal. Otherwise why would it be on the box ?
Until proven otherwise Made in China is my educated guess.

firechicken 07-05-2021 09:20 PM

Which is less patriotic, buying speedmaster heads or buying speedmaster fuel cells?

dragracerx2813 07-05-2021 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firechicken (Post 6262302)
Which is less patriotic, buying speedmaster heads or buying speedmaster fuel cells?

Or Speedmaster yokes!

GTOGEORGE 07-05-2021 09:54 PM

Why did the chicken cross the road?

GTO George

Dragncar 07-06-2021 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firechicken (Post 6262302)

Putting a Speedmaster cylinder head on your car. If it were not for the Edelbrock cylinder head the Pontiac world is a barren wasteland. They deserve the credit, and profit.

dragracerx2813 07-06-2021 09:04 AM

Looks like someone it throwing stone in their glass house.

opeliac 07-06-2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6262377)
Putting a Speedmaster cylinder head on your car. If it were not for the Edelbrock cylinder head the Pontiac world is a barren wasteland. They deserve the credit, and profit.

Edelbrock designed their heads off of a Pontiac round port...But Speedmaster is a criminal for designing a similar head?????

Seems like you are putting a lot of energy into this.

And, lets not forget that Edelbrock WAS NOT the first aluminum aftermarket Pontiac head.

GTOGEORGE 07-06-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opeliac (Post 6262422)
Edelbrock designed their heads off of a Pontiac round port...But Speedmaster is a criminal for designing a similar head?????

Seems like you are putting a lot of energy into this.

And, lets not forget that Edelbrock WAS NOT the first aluminum aftermarket Pontiac head.

Racers forget about Wensler…..if it wasn’t for Wensler there would be no edelbrock, hell KRE would have better the e head out……they did with the aluminum d port! Just saying!!

GTO George

70 bird 07-06-2021 06:09 PM

Compare Edelbrock head prices for Pontiac compared to other makes. I have no problem saying they are screwing Pontiac people. I enjoy seeing the competition.

ponjohn 07-06-2021 06:19 PM

You guys crack me up buying chinese products.

I'd like everyone to get up and check that label on any piece of clothing, or the computer or phone you are using or the shoes you are wearing.

Another thread gone down the crapper.

dragracerx2813 07-06-2021 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70 bird (Post 6262578)
Compare Edelbrock head prices for Pontiac compared to other makes. I have no problem saying they are screwing Pontiac people. I enjoy seeing the competition.

They are one of if not the most expensive head they sell.

dragracerx2813 07-07-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Mike, have run any of the SM heads yet? Or are you still running the E heads?

Mike Davis 07-07-2021 09:44 AM

I have E heads on my 66 and also on my spare engine. They have been done for years and hate to take them off as they work.
Put a 455 together for a friend and used the SM heads. Light port work, hyd cam, factory HO intake. Car runs good but is just a driver. Car is a 73 SD bird and his original heads were cracked.
I have a set when for when I retire my car back to street duty hopefully within the next year or so (depending if I can find another 65-67 body to build for a racecar).

dragracerx2813 07-07-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Davis (Post 6262707)
I have E heads on my 66 and also on my spare engine. They have been done for years and hate to take them off as they work.
Put a 455 together for a friend and used the SM heads. Light port work, hyd cam, factory HO intake. Car runs good but is just a driver. Car is a 73 SD bird and his original heads were cracked.
I have a set when for when I retire my car back to street duty hopefully within the next year or so (depending if I can find another 65-67 body to build for a racecar).

I have a set. I am going to clean the intake ports up and do a little work on the bowls. I am planning on putting them on my race car. It isn’t going to be anything crazy. I have a sft cam for. If I can get my 3700 lbs car in the high to mid 10’s I will be happy.

grandam1979 07-08-2021 04:57 PM

What are you using for stud girdles on the SM heads?

blueghoast 07-08-2021 11:13 PM

Any that fit the e-heads will work on the sm heads if that was what you were
asking.

GT

grandam1979 07-09-2021 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueghoast (Post 6263155)
asking.

GT

That is thanks

dragracerx2813 07-09-2021 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueghoast (Post 6263155)
asking.

GT

Have you run your car yet?

blueghoast 07-10-2021 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragracerx2813 (Post 6263327)
Have you run your car yet?

Just the e-head motor It's in my firebird. The one in my avatar.
It's pretty bad ass, Haven't been to the track yet but will soon.
The SM head motor is in my buddy's 4-door chevell and isn't
ready yet but he is very close so as soon as I know something
I'll be posting it. His car is pretty lite we are hoping for high
9's low 10's Only the track will tell.

GT

dragracerx2813 07-10-2021 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueghoast (Post 6263417)

GT

A Pontiac in a Chevy. Nothing makes me happier!

blueghoast 07-11-2021 05:47 PM

Oh Yeah. I'm converting all the chevy guy's to poncho power around here. LOL

GT

grandam1979 07-31-2021 11:27 PM

Made it to Norwalk with the out of the box SM heads car has a bog from the carb I’m using but has gone 10.91@126 see what tomorrow brings.

slowbird 08-01-2021 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandam1979 (Post 6268700)
Made it to Norwalk with the out of the box SM heads car has a bog from the carb I’m using but has gone 10.91@126 see what tomorrow brings.

Nice! Can you share more details about the engine and/or car weight

ponjohn 08-01-2021 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandam1979 (Post 6268700)

Is that the 78 Grand Am?

What is the whole combo?

That is exactly where I would like to be with the engine for my 73 Ventura

grandam1979 08-01-2021 01:57 PM

No time runs today right to first round car went 10.93@127 but my son Jake went red -.016 still very proud first car he has drag raced faster than 18.00 1990 Bonneville his grandmother gave him back in 2007. The car is a 1992 Firebird that is a very well thought out car but not tubbed and has 28-10 slicks on it. Also me being his dad and first time with a new car I had him shift at 5500

grandam1979 08-01-2021 03:27 PM

The engine is a 1970 455 + .060 good rods and pistons stock crank with the SM heads cam is a comp hydraulic roller .520/.540 236/242 113ls. I did use solid rollers I had on shelf. Intake is a SM Black Friday single plain I made match heads. Personally I would consider this engine a street engine at 10.7 and the little cam. Carb was the weak link this weekend I used a 800 spreadbore holley I had on shelf also. Probably not my greatest idea but I had it so I used it. Hopefully we will take it to the Pontiac race at Bunker Hill in two weeks with a improved carb setup.

ponjohn 08-01-2021 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandam1979 (Post 6268817)
The engine is a 1970 455 + .060 good rods and pistons stock crank with the SM heads cam is a comp hydraulic roller .520/.540 236/242 113ls. I did use solid rollers I had on shelf. Intake is a SM Black Friday single plain I made match heads. Personally I would consider this engine a street engine at 10.7 and the little cam. Carb was the weak link this weekend I used a 800 spreadbore holley I had on shelf also. Probably not my greatest idea but I had it so I used it. Hopefully we will take it to the Pontiac race at Bunker Hill in two weeks with a improved carb setup.

Very nice combo.

Do you know what it weighs?

'ol Pinion head 08-01-2021 10:27 PM

Impressive.

PONTIAC LARRY 08-02-2021 02:25 PM

excellent ! thanks for update ! Good job :)

grandam1979 08-16-2021 08:40 AM

Went to bunker hill on Saturday car went 6.82@100 bog is gone. Car was .2 quicker in the 1/8. Also learned the vacuum pump sucks out hardly any oil running the 1/8.

blueghoast 09-17-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueghoast (Post 6263417)

GT

OK-My buddies chevell with my speedmaster heads went to an 1/8 mile
track and went 106 MPH with a 1:56 60 FT. but only a 7:21 ET due to a
bit of a peddle fest. Haven't been back to the track yet but things look
promising. Can't wait and I'll be taking my firebird too. I'll let ya know.

GT

johnta1 09-17-2021 07:41 PM

That's a good MPH. Probably low 10's in quarter.
Was he running slicks?

:)