PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   My New 1971 455 HO Formula (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769191)

Norwood 07-09-2018 06:45 PM

Dennis, what issue did you have with the Power Master starter? I tried one as a replacement for a mini starter that had been trouble free for years. I liked the idea of getting a stock type starter in the car to get rid of that mini starter sound. The Power masters sounded fine but it’s intermittent non start issues didn’t work out. I went as far as returning one and trying another but it had the same issue. If you think back a couple years ago we needed to ouch start it in Van Wert. I now have a parts store HD stock starter that has been trouble free for two years now.

SD455DJ 07-10-2018 07:13 AM

Craig, I probably was too harsh regarding my experience with the Powermaster line, but their stock style starter is nothing more than lipstick on a pig (am I being to harsh again???). Maybe I just got a bad one. I had nothing but problems since it was first installed and I admit that I didn't look at it too closely before I installed it. If I did I would have noticed the standard duty solenoid (shorter and heavy spring tension) and the standard duty starter with the shorter winding in the case. That would have been a good tip-off for coming issues. It always dragged noisily despite a variety of shims, or no shims, always growled the same, when cold....when hot, and nothing since it was dead after it heat soaked. After spraying it with cool water for 20 minutes with the hood open for ventilation, it would grind and growl slowly, but fast enough to start. I tried to find gas stations with a slope and enough room to 'push start' it if I had to. Yeah, the reman heavy duty starter seems to be working alright so far. We'll see soon after a couple hour/200 mile drive on a hot day to see how it really does. I'm hoping our 'Van Wert' days are behind us. I'm sure learning a lot about GM starters!

Dennis

Dennis

Norwood 07-10-2018 08:33 AM

Dennis, that’s 3 for 3 on the Poweemaster.

weranc55 07-10-2018 10:15 AM

Can you post a part # for the stock hd starter? I just bought a ac Delco from rock auto . I’m hoping that it will work fine

SD455DJ 07-10-2018 12:10 PM

Chuck, Mine was a basic remanufactured starter/new solenoid combo, don't recall what the unit number was. I sent to Powermatser back in the same box for the $15 core charge. Sorry.

Dennis

Norwood 07-10-2018 12:39 PM

Chuck , I have a Power Master i would sell.

SD455DJ 07-10-2018 02:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Dan just finished installing a new Pypes Race Pro transverse muffler to replace the old blown out pick-up truck muffler that came with the car (actually was a fist design Pypes transverse muffler that made an awful sound and prompted Pypes redesign the internal baffling shortly thereafter). It was a fairly easy in & out procedure and Dan said it sounds sooo much better! He took pictures down the inlets of the old and new to see if there was any visual differences...and there is!

Dennis

RicksGTO 07-10-2018 03:33 PM

I have the newer design cross-flow on mine and really like the sound, barely louder than the stock muffler. It has not changed in the 4-5 years I've had it on the car so far.

SD455DJ 07-11-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicksGTO (Post 5905293)
I have the newer design cross-flow on mine and really like the sound, barely louder than the stock muffler. It has not changed in the 4-5 years I've had it on the car so far.

Good to hear that it sounds good...supposed to make 50 hp more too! Just kidding.

Dennis

SD455DJ 07-16-2018 07:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple of pics of the new battery connections that aren't quite factory, but are a lot better design. They use a shouldered 9/16" nut that secures the side terminal to the battery via a short stud that threads into the side terminal post with an allen wrench. No more rounding the tiny 5/16" standard side terminal bolt. Finally getting 14 volts charging with the new diodes in the original alternator, too.

Dennis