PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   What did you do with your Pontiac today? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868583)

BILL BOWMAN1 05-26-2024 11:46 AM

Probably not much today. Got to cut the grass as it’s supposed to pour tomorrow..
Washing the Catalina and putting some fresh gas in. It is on the list though.

Greg Reid 05-26-2024 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponchjoe (Post 6505740)
Bought it! Haven’t had a Pontiac for 7-8 yrs. I was playing with 62-66 GMCs, I’m stoked.

Wow. That's a BEAUTY!

BILL BOWMAN1 05-26-2024 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Long overdue bath!

71GP76TA 05-26-2024 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put a radio in the '72 T/A. Someone cut the original radio harness. Thankfully the dash was not cut. This radio made the most sense as it looks factoryish and fits the dash without modification.

Attachment 634324

67drake 05-26-2024 09:41 PM

Tried to take the cranking pressure on the ‘63. Unfortunately my 45 something year old gauge bit the dust. I disassembled and cleaned everything, put a new schrader valve in, ect, and it goes back to 0 between each compression stroke. No biggie, I’ll get a new one.
Gave the shop a much needed cleaning as I still had random junk on the benches and rolling cabinet top from doing my engine rebuild. Took longer than I expected.
Did my yearly inventory of wrenches, sockets, ect. If they are missing for more than a few months, I cruise eBay looking for replacements. I’m anal in some ways, so it drives me nuts to have multiple brands mixed in with my Snap On go to sets. So I pay up and order used replacements from the same era as my 1980’s sets. It cost me $75 or so to find and order my replacements tonight.

Verdoro 68 05-26-2024 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I got home from cruising around last weekend I noticed the front of the passenger fender was about 1/8" lower than front bumper so I investigated. Turns out the nuts for the core support bolts had backed off and the support was sagging. So I bought some new hardware, replaced the bushings and retightened the support. That raised the fenders about 1/8" above the front bumper. It would have been an easy fix to realign the front bumper and leave well enough alone, but the door to fender gaps have been bugging me (and they got even more out of whack with the core support fix) so I figured i'd adjust them while I was at it, and here we are...

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...1&d=1716778831

turbo69bird 05-26-2024 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 (Post 6505829)
When I got home from cruising around last weekend I noticed the front of the passenger fender was about 1/8" lower than front bumper so I investigated. Turns out the nuts for the core support bolts had backed off and the support was sagging. So I bought some new hardware, replaced the bushings and retightened the support. That raised the fenders about 1/8" above the front bumper. It would have been an easy fix to realign the front bumper and leave well enough alone, but the door to fender gaps have been bugging me (and they got even more out of whack with the core support fix) so I figured i'd adjust them while I was at it, and here we are...

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...1&d=1716778831

You ARE a sick sick man. Love it! 😍. Wish I had that drive to straighten everything on mine and get all
Sorted out ! It’s a lot of work but it’ll be worth it when it’s done

Verdoro 68 05-27-2024 12:31 AM

I just completed a major rear end swap, drove it for a weekend, and took it apart again. I definitely have a problem.

I thought this was a quick fix, but the more I inspected and compared to the passenger side, I realized the issue required multiple adjustments. This is definitely one of my least favorite jobs - especially when you’re trying to protect the paint.

RAIIIJudge 05-27-2024 12:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ken Verdoro, et al, that's badass and reminds me of where I've been the past year.

I've had this car since I was 17 (59 now) and used to beat the snot out of it as a kid. dad and I started a body-off resto in the late 90s that was never completed. he passed away 4 years ago, to-ta-lly pissed we (I, according to him) never completed it. anyway, I thought hard about selling car in pieces but instead brought her home last June to my POS garage and driveway and went to work. car has totally kicked my ass but she's finally getting there and should be on the road in a couple of weeks. still a small mountain of stuff to do (gaps, gaps gaps) and I'm sure more unknown's lurking but it feels good bringing this old friend home and I dream that my dad sees and is hopefully cutting me some slack.

some pics of how she arrived last spring and of a few days ago, first wash of the season.

(sorry 'bout the ford transgression)

Scarebird 05-27-2024 12:18 PM

looks good, almost there!

kingbuzzo 05-27-2024 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71GP76TA (Post 6505807)
Put a radio in the '72 T/A. Someone cut the original radio harness. Thankfully the dash was not cut. This radio made the most sense as it looks factoryish and fits the dash without modification.

Attachment 634324

that looks sharp in there... 👍

kingbuzzo 05-27-2024 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAIIIJudge (Post 6505898)
Ken Verdoro, et al, that's badass and reminds me of where I've been the past year.

Good on you for following it thru to completion...I hear the old man in the back of my head all the time too ��

Scarebird 05-27-2024 02:35 PM

After changing out the incorrect cam in the Gen V 5.3 the first mileage test (all city type driving) ended up with 19.39 MPG.

This with an engine in stock form that Holley dynos out at 405 horsies. I can live with that.

pontiacstogo 05-27-2024 03:11 PM

Pulled the weatherstrips and roof rails to remove the old (flakey, rusted) blowout clips and pop rivet in the new ones.

taktikian 05-27-2024 03:18 PM

Drove 45 miles

Took my Judge 45 miles to show it at Memorial Day show in Lake Helen , Fl. Boy oh boy. Been a long time for me. Was 99 degrees , and no A/C and 3:90 gears. Not as enjoyable as it used to be when I was 20 years younger. Hope you all have a great holiday

BILL BOWMAN1 05-28-2024 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welded a nut to some scrap steel so I could have a handle to polish these bumper bolts.

jhein 05-28-2024 06:47 PM

Frustration day today.

I was putting things back together after doing my compression test and I got my plug wires confused. So I pulled my cap off to find #1. That's when I found this:

https://i.imgur.com/Ex8ngJ7l.jpg

I don't know how the terminal got bent like that. I guess it must have hit a terminal in the cap?? I checked and all the cap terminals look OK. Nothing loose, bent or misaligned.

https://i.imgur.com/hl06e4Sl.jpg

The engine was running great so it must have been that way when my builder put it together and set the timing. The last time I looked at it was when I put in new springs and weights and it was not bent then. So I've ordered a new rotor.

67drake 05-28-2024 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yikes!
Hard to tell cause the picture is a little fuzzy, but is it this plastic? Marked in lower left of photo. Looks a little bent in the picture.

67drake 05-28-2024 07:54 PM

I figured until I can pull the engine this fall or winter to see what exactly is in my ‘69 400 that’s in my LeMans, I’ll try running some octane boost. I bought a couple cans of that Torco Accelerator and figured I’d try it out. I was getting detonation at WOT. I dumped a quart in, then went and filled up the 20 gallon LeMans tank. I went on a 15 mile ride, and after it warmed up, gave it a couple WOT pulls. No detonation heard. It is cool here, but barometer is well over 30. I’ll have to check it again on a hot day too.

jhein 05-28-2024 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67drake (Post 6506081)
Yikes!
Hard to tell cause the picture is a little fuzzy, but is it this plastic? Marked in lower left of photo. Looks a little bent in the picture.

I'm not sure exactly what you looking at but if something looks wrong on the rotor, it's just lighting, shadows, etc. The only thing I found bent was the terminal on the rotor.