PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   ram air hood (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872408)

SD455DJ 03-20-2024 08:33 PM

I certainly would use the good RA hood you have for your Formula. Who cares if it's technically correct for a '71/'72 Bird. None of my cars are concours show cars and they all have 'incorrect' replacement pieces on them. Now, if it was a high dollar nuts & bolts restoration, I could understand finding the correct parts. You have a rare and real RAIII Formula that you want to drive and enjoy, so have fun rebuilding it. I want to see it get done myself.

Dennis

Ramairnacho 03-21-2024 01:21 PM

non braced hood.

1 Attachment(s)
This just popped up and advertised as 1 year only. Im.very confused now. But I know this they are hard to find. Especially in my area.

grd777 03-21-2024 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramairnacho (Post 6493470)
This just popped up and advertised as 1 year only. Im.very confused now. But I know this they are hard to find. Especially in my area.

You have seen on BAT cars sell for big money, and they were not 100% correct
I say who cares as long as you are happy about the car you are restoring

RAIV70TA 03-21-2024 06:38 PM

I bought my 1st Pontiac 44yrs ago and became a die-hard enthusiast from that point forward. I was taught by the older guys to "never say never" when it came to how cars were built or optioned back then. I still believe that today. When I bought this car, I figured and still do, that the hood did not come on the car. Having said that, I have found blue paint under the hood vents. The car was originally Atoll. So at the very least, the hood was blue at some point in its life. I also believe that if you're not learning on a daily basis, you're not growing. I did not know about the ridge in the hood inlets, so class is in session! I didn't give the screen bolt holes much thought either. I have both A and F bodies, so I'm always looking for both. I tend to read more than participate, but would like to do more of the latter.

RAIV70TA 03-21-2024 06:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The car is worthy of the correct hood and hopefully I'll come across one.

Ramairnacho 03-21-2024 10:52 PM

hood

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAIV70TA (Post 6493540)

You can always find a non braced hood and simply cut the vents open screen and put ring retains on it. In the past 5 years I have seen only 2 real ra3 hoods for sale but didn't have the knowledge that I now have. I have looked and found nothing. but uncut ones . Good luck finding one. I happy with what I got. Ps. Formula Bruce has correct hardware for the ra hood if you need it

keith k 03-22-2024 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAIV70TA (Post 6493540)

Definitely worthy of a restoration. Great options, and an outstanding color combo!

eaglesan13 03-23-2024 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of my old cars, a 1970 Formula 400, April 1970 Norwood car with original (unbraced) hood. It had the worst bowed hood I have ever seen.

Ramairnacho 03-24-2024 01:34 AM

bowed hood

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglesan13 (Post 6494036)
One of my old cars, a 1970 Formula 400, April 1970 Norwood car with original (unbraced) hood. It had the worst bowed hood I have ever seen.

Does the bow cause the hood to lift in the back where it meets the fender edge over the hood hinge?

eaglesan13 03-30-2024 03:39 PM

No, it had a good fit at the front corner and at the rear corner, it was just bowed badly in the center.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramairnacho (Post 6494048)
Does the bow cause the hood to lift in the back where it meets the fender edge over the hood hinge?

Ramairnacho 03-31-2024 12:10 AM

bow

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglesan13 (Post 6495355)
No, it had a good fit at the front corner and at the rear corner, it was just bowed badly in the center.

it's hard to tell , but Im.still learning thou.