PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Members Helping Members (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   PY members help additional topic ideas (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506823)

Ccass 01-21-2007 03:59 PM

PY members help additional topic ideas

Post any member help topic ideas that you think should be added to this new Forum.

mwritter 01-21-2007 07:16 PM

How about an "other cars" or similar forum? Seems to be a number of questions in the old lobby about other antiques and daily drivers.

455Grandville 01-21-2007 07:26 PM

A humorous section; talk about the idiots that you come across at the autoparts counter. Swap stories of the stupidity you see in the automotive world.

What about a EBAY scam section ? Seems to be a new posting everyday.

GTOWAGON 01-21-2007 07:27 PM

I second the humor section I have a huge backlog of jokes to post

GTO JOHN 01-21-2007 08:41 PM

Since your asking here are a few of my ideas:

1. Forum for non-Pontiac auto related stuff. Many members have other makes, models, bikes, etc that would be easy to find info on those and keep the threads seperate from the Pontiac stuff.

2. Forum for eBay related autions, advice, scam alerts, deadbeat reporter, helpful links, etc, etc.

3. Possibly consider adding a PY reputation score to each members profile. It could be similar to the ebay feedback system with the exception that both PY members would need to acknowledge the transaction prior to the feedback actually being left. It could include comments similar to ebay or merely be a number attached to each members profile that would give other PY members an idea of the who they are about to deal with.

4. A PY Garage forum where members can post pics and comments about their rides. I realize we already have that capability but the garage section in a forum format makes for easier navigation.

Just my $.02 on a great site.

dancolkate 01-21-2007 09:01 PM

1) Maybe add the topic "inspecting cars or parts" for fellow members. I've done this in both directions and it is super helpful.
-- i.e. Looking for a fellow member to inspect a car in the Seattle area.

2) The handy-man topic is a good idea. That could almost be part of it's own forum titled "Around The Home"

3) Computers and networking (maybe consumer electronics in general).

Firedup6975 01-21-2007 09:12 PM

A suggestions Forum.

Firedup6975 01-21-2007 09:17 PM

A PY Celebrities Forum.

For PY Members who have been in Magazines like HPP, Car Craft, Pontiac Enthusiast ect. Not everyone has subscriptions, so it would be nice for the pictures and stories to be posted here for all to enjoy.

By the way, my moment of fame in the April 07 HPP, "My Pontiac and Me" Feature 4 pages! :)

dreamingmuscle 01-21-2007 10:46 PM

A religious/political forum to keep all the arguing in one section. It can be easily avoided by those who chose to. If you don't want your bubble busted don't post or view here

A look at my stuff for sale on ebay section would be nice too.

Glen

Old Blue 66 01-21-2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIREDup6975
A PY Celebrities Forum

By the way, my moment of fame in the April 07 HPP, "My Pontiac and Me" Feature 4 pages! :)

What a great segway MA. I agree with the need for some sort of an ebay section. I like when members post auctions of cars that have some sort of notoriety.

JimFB400HO 01-22-2007 01:34 AM

How about sports? Hate to not be able to brag about daBears.
GO BEARS!

baron_ 01-22-2007 02:22 AM

#1 biggie that a lot of other forums have

a "what is it worth" topic area (which specifically includes anything ebay related)
in each one of our forum areas, there's routinely 3 or 4 posts for people asking what xxx car or part is worth, whether xxx is a good deal, or what they should ask for xxxx, or screaming about an ebay auction - etc etc

Brandi Kay 01-22-2007 04:48 AM

maybe a therapy forum?

Colin 01-22-2007 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamingmuscle
A religious/political forum to keep all the arguing in one section. It can be easily avoided by those who chose to. If you don't want your bubble busted don't post or view here

A look at my stuff for sale on ebay section would be nice too.

Glen

I think thats a good idea myself. However, Im sure that some crybaby would still be stupid enough to go read posts there and whine about it. In my opinion it was simple enough as it was............if you see a topic with a title that you may not like then dont read it........if you dislike a certain persons posts use the ignore feature. Seems pretty simple to me but some people apparently have thin skin and have to continuously whine about things they dont agree with........petty BS.

Ccass 01-22-2007 12:09 PM

Keep 'em coming. Some are ideas we already came up with, some are ones we didn't think of.

Region Warrior 01-22-2007 12:38 PM

Home/garage maintaince, remodeling and repairs.
Although i rarely post, enjoy seeing every ones projects.

Other hobbies are cool also.

SGTGTO 01-22-2007 12:55 PM

Pro-touring/resto-mod. It would be nice to have a place to post and not be ridiculed for wanting larger than stock rims :)

You could also rename the Electrical section to "As George K. a question"

Old Blue 66 01-22-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandi Kay
maybe a therapy forum?

I'm not gonna ask...

Some sort of progress forum. It would be nice to chronicle the progress of those under restoration in one place.

dancolkate 01-22-2007 02:38 PM

A Military forum dedicated to the brave men and woman that serve our beautiful country every day.

SGTGTO 01-22-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancolkate
A Military forum dedicated to the brave men and woman that serve our beautiful country every day.

And give them huge discounts on PY purchases, and free parts. LOVE the idea!

68coupe 01-22-2007 03:14 PM

What about a "Those were the good old days!" topic.....Reminiscing about the good times and memories of the past!:cool:

gregneun 01-22-2007 09:53 PM

What about a borkering forum.

Firedup6975 01-22-2007 11:42 PM

Once again, a forum for....

PYs dearly departed Members

pontiacpetey 01-22-2007 11:59 PM

Definitely a non-pontiac auto section, I never seem to know whats up with my pickup.

A handy man section would be nice to see, for general garage finishing, driveways etc.

How about a cooking section so we can post what we ate while working on our cars, or what we had for breakfast.

shawn e. 01-23-2007 12:04 AM

Birthdays, Anniversaries, Personal Achievements, Milestones, Proud Parents or Grandparents.

455Grandville 01-23-2007 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregneun
What about a borkering forum.

I second that; especially with some of the recent events.

mwritter 01-30-2007 10:33 AM

I think a sticky in this forum listing members willing to inspect local vehicles for out-of-state members would be an excellent resource. I've needed such a person several times over the last couple of years and there's really no easy way to do it other than starting a new post every time. One "sticky" thread would make the search super-easy.

Ccass 01-30-2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwritter
I think a sticky in this forum listing members willing to inspect local vehicles for out-of-state members would be an excellent resource. I've needed such a person several times over the last couple of years and there's really no easy way to do it other than starting a new post every time. One "sticky" thread would make the search super-easy.

This is a good idea but very difficult to organize. Many members come and go. Some members may volunteer at one point but may not be available at other times. I know I wouldn't want to be on a permanent list to do this. ;)

baron_ 01-30-2007 11:57 AM

wasn't there a PY map of members, showing their location on a picture of the US and their name/car?

i suppose that could be linked to PY
all we'd have to do is associate the PY name with the person

niceta 01-30-2007 12:07 PM

It would be nice to be able to see who has websites about their cars/ restoration. Could be combined with, as someone already suggested a restore update forum. It is a good way to learn from each other about what to do and what not to do. I also find it interesting and inspiring to see others hard work in progress.

Phil Goat Nelson 02-12-2007 05:55 PM

How 'bout a "Media Forum" where Music / TV shows / DVD / movies alerts for coming shows etc or mentions of pertinent Pontiac related movies could be posted.

sandmanjoe 03-10-2007 08:09 AM

would like a section for only interiors/custom interiors, also a section on transmissions only would be nice.

Jack Gifford 04-14-2007 03:49 AM

I don't know a good forum title, but at times I want a dialogue about mechanical design subjects which aren't unique to Pontiacs. At present I have two examples-

1) Silent-chain camshaft drives, such as are OE on most pushrod engines. After reading about the advantages of silent-chain (HY-VO and others) on Morse's very informative website, I'm wondering why aftermarket cam drives are all roller-chains. I find it fascinating that silent-chain design exhibits zero (ZERO!) friction during chain bend/unbend.

2) Resilient driveshafts, such as the ISO-TEC line made by MSI for engine dynos- supposedly the most demanding application of any automotive-sized driveshaft. The ISO-TEC shafts are double-tube, with an elastomer between the tubes. To me, it's an intrigueing idea, since I've had 'unsolvable' vibration problems with certain 'big engine/small vehicle' combinations.

Maybe name it "Mechanical Design" forum?

(Thanks in advance- for moving these two discussion topics to the new forum, once you've added it!)

Edit: Looks like I didn't post this in the right place. I saw "...additional topic ideas" and was thinking it said "... additional forum ideas". Don't know where I should post it?

Jack Gifford 05-01-2007 11:55 PM

Our newest moderator was kind enough to read my post, and will be looking into the possibility of a "Mechanical Design" forum. Thanks Bart!

YVEYANT 06-20-2007 10:31 PM

I would love to see a Pro-Touring forum which would include, EFI, larger wheel/tire combos, proper fitment of such & suspension upgrades. Many of us have spoken about this before. If you go through the site there have been a lot of requests for such a forum recently as well as posting photos of such cars all over this site. There is such a great demand for it by the members. It would be very popular here and tastefull.
Many of the older gentlemen are not big on change when it comes to these cars and that is okay. They have a certain ideal of what the cars should look like and they are entitiled to that as the younger generation is also entitled to what they have envisioned their cars to be. This forum would encourage members to keep these posts and photos in one dedicated forum keeping everybody happy to see what they choose to see rather than running into someting that is of no interest to them.

sdbob 07-01-2007 10:38 AM

Health,diet,psyh,meaning of life around us.

Pontirag 07-12-2007 09:47 PM

what about a forum for 55-59GMC trucks

Pontirag 07-12-2007 09:47 PM

What about a forum ......for the children. what about the children

Jack Gifford 07-12-2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontirag
what about a forum for 55-59GMC trucks

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!
In fact, maybe all year GMC trucks, since the close Pontiac/GMC relationship spans many years.

crazy ray 03-06-2008 06:12 PM

How about restoration, and detail tricks, and ideas.

gman26 04-08-2008 05:57 PM

1. Maybe a forum showing businesses, services related to cars, that members have used; it can show members' ratings, good/bad comments, etc.

2. List transport services that have been used by members; comments, ratings, etc.

citydesk175 04-11-2008 10:30 PM

more ideas

1. tools: reccomended or despised
2. Tours: I will be at this show with this car on this date........ Look me up but bring beer.
3. Tours: announcement of an area and a date for a meeting, help arrange specifics.
4. Conference: Rent a hall somewhere, invite participants for classes, seminars & demos and sell table space to vendors.
5. major advice: What should I do with my life? what should I take in college?

6. Blog

citydesk175 04-11-2008 10:34 PM

7. Best Reference material
8. Retirement work
9. Give Keith a thread of his own

Jack Gifford 05-22-2008 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pontiac jack
Our newest moderator was kind enough to read my post, and will be looking into the possibility of a "Mechanical Design" forum. Thanks Bart!

So... any consideration for such a forum? (as I suggested in post#33)
Thanks.

71 GOLSVERT 02-16-2009 01:49 AM

Hello
I am not sure where to go. My nephew was given a 77 TA 403 shaker auto no T Tops with a/c, ps ,pb, tilt by his dad. My nephew likes the car but it's been sitting for about five years outside, and his dad never took care of it either. It's been a beater. They are rural and the Mice ect. have been at it. the interior is sun and heat cooked. He feels the engine and trans are ok at this time. Rust is minimal body is ok. He will propally not do anything with it for a long time if ever. I would like to buy it. My question is , is this car worth restoring or is it better to part it out? Thanks Dano

cuz68 04-27-2009 12:34 AM

I think PY has 90-per cent of the replys in place all ready. Thanks PY. And the most asked?s on any year of pontiacs.

johnta1 04-27-2009 10:47 AM

What about the couple that a lot of people have been wanting for years?

Turbochargers and/or EFI

and the SD 455 Forum. :D

:)

cuz68 04-27-2009 11:59 PM

Sorry Jonn there are not to many folks that own them.

baron_ 04-28-2009 12:12 AM

turbocharging would be prudent

maybe not SD455...as cuz68 said

jconner 06-04-2009 12:01 AM

need help with suspension 67 GP convertible

The wife just aquired a 67 GP convertible that looks great but will need much work.

First we would like to raise the car a little as it rides on beautiful 15" rallys but the old springs are tired and she sits too low. We would like to upgrade the power ft drums to discs.

Does anyone have experience swapping springs, spindles & brakes from other GM models? Could all those items come from one model?

She will also need a new top and several chrome and light peices. Could I get some feedback on whether I should have a custom top sewn or purchase one off the shelf?

We want to start working on these items right away to get her back into shape ASAP!

Thanks for the help.
jconner