PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Visitor from Pennsylvania here (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836211)

thepontiacman 12-06-2019 08:52 PM

Visitor from Pennsylvania here

Someone needs to come get this visitor from PA. Just showed up at shop.

I think he's a little early, hungry, and too far south.

First one I have seen around here in Alabama.

Maybe he likes Pontiacs. Ha.

Half-Inch Stud 12-06-2019 09:33 PM

...thought you were talking aboout me

thepontiacman 12-06-2019 09:39 PM

Ha, no you are transplanted now. As long as you like Pontiacs, your OK with me.

Firedup6975 12-06-2019 09:49 PM

Awwwwwww that’s Pontiac Pete. :D

salem1912 12-07-2019 12:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No it's Gus he works for the PA Lottery.

OZZIEVILLE 67 2 door 12-07-2019 01:03 AM

Can I ask what brand of animal it is , don't have them downunder

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

A Schab 12-07-2019 05:01 AM

Groundhog

Brian Baker 12-07-2019 05:24 AM

That there is a big ole Groundhog. Quite common in the eastern and north eastern USA.

When I was a kid, my Aunt and Uncle owned about 120 acres outside of Frederick, MD. what they didn't live on, they leased to a local cattle farmer. My cousins and I would walk the property and kill as many Groundhogs as we could find, and fill in their holes to keep the cattle from stepping in them and breaking a leg, which cost the cattle farmer a loss in profit if they weren't fully fattened up yet.

We''d find a hole and my cousin Scott would get his scoped rifle out and we'd sit off of it 50-75 yards or so, and when Scott gave the word we'd whistle, and those hogs would pop up out of their holes out of curiosity and BANG !!! Nothing but chunks from the shoulders up. To a threesome of 12-14 year old boys, this was the height of summertime entertainment in the country.

Half-Inch Stud 12-07-2019 09:24 AM

Gopher ; comes out for food. like a small groundhog.

Geoundhog; hibernates. Biggie sized in PA

Baron Von Zeppelin 12-07-2019 09:24 PM

I have a pair on my property.
The only ones i have ever seen in real life.

Maybe lil bit larger than Preston posted.
But maybe not PA size.
They have sort of big bushy tails, and waddle when they 'run'.
Like a really fat kid in gym class giving it their best - kind of run.

Firedup6975 12-07-2019 10:01 PM

The ones pictured are not from PA. The fur is way different on our groundhogs. As mentioned that’s a gopher, smaller and a more corse fur coat.

OCMDGTO 12-08-2019 05:05 PM

X2 you definitely need to feed them some lead

77 TRASHCAN 12-08-2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud (Post 6088485)
...thought you were talking aboout me

Lol, me too...
Have wondered how you have adjusted to Alabama...

Half-Inch Stud 12-08-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN (Post 6089118)
Lol, me too..Have wondered how you have adjusted to Alabama...

Today we corralled a stray lab-hound mix into the fenced yard where we are staying. Our dog likes him. Animal resucue better like tomorrow.

hurryinhoosier62 12-08-2019 10:27 PM

My paternal grandfather would call that “dinner”.

Region Warrior 12-09-2019 11:27 AM

Called Ground hogs, Woodchucks, and Whistle pigs as Brian stated cause they do stand up on hind legs when you do.
They borrow under brush piles, around large tree root systems, and sheds, etc.
That's a small one compared to round here. And yes they good on a bbq spit...

4dblnkldude 12-09-2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Region Warrior (Post 6089220)
Called Ground hogs, Woodchucks, and Whistle pigs as Brian stated cause they do stand up on hind legs when you do.
They borrow under brush piles, around large tree root systems, and sheds, etc.
That's a small one compared to round here. And yes they good on a bbq spit...

You eat those ****ers? I've shot a few in the garden with the bow and have thought about it. But they smell like crap and can't seem to get past that. I never smelled a worse animal after being freshly shot. Deer and rabbits and birds smell fresh, not bad at all....but those things...uugghh.

thepontiacman 12-10-2019 08:13 AM

I heard people used to eat them. My Uncle said he used to kill them and take to a older guy who loved to eat them.

As long as we have chicken, I,LL pass on groundhog.

dataway 12-10-2019 09:02 AM

I had one the size of a dog on my property and I battled him for five years. Had a tunnel that went all the way from the side of the hill on my property, across the road to a drainage ditch 20 yards away. Tried smoking him out, tried building my burning pile on top of his hole, tried my old stash of M80's .. half of which didn't detonate. Then, hated to do it but when MOAB on him, gasoline down the hole, pushed the fumes through with a few gentle blasts with a leaf blower ... lit it off ... never saw him again.

He was huge, but I never saw him when I had a gun in my hand and didn't really have time to wait for him, he was very shy.

dataway 12-10-2019 09:06 AM

BTW ... I have some beautiful bushes in my front yard that I've been growing for 25 years. Yew I think. Anyway, last winter the deer stripped them bare ... they almost didn't recover this spring, they are still kind of sparse. Just saw the wife off to work this morning and noticed they are at it again. They won't survive another stripping. I heard Bobbex deer repellent is good. I also happen to have 10 lbs of powdered sulfur in the shop ... wonder if that would work? Or ... can I cover them with a tarp?

Going to start letting the dogs go out front to do their business for a week or to, see if that helps.