PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Facebook Pontiac Pages (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841919)

TCSGTO 06-28-2020 04:32 PM

Facebook Pontiac Pages

Has anyone browsed some of the Pontiac specific pages on FB? I was scrolling through one today and some of the answers to tech questions were cringeworthy. Like wives tales you’d see in a 1974 Car Craft issue or advice from someone whose only opened a hood to check the oil.

There should be a link to this site attached to each of these pages.

JimFB400HO 06-28-2020 04:39 PM

What's Facebook?

einstein 06-28-2020 04:55 PM

Killed my FaceBerg early last year. One of my better life choices.

TCSGTO 06-28-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimFB400HO (Post 6155577)
What's Facebook?

It’s where you go For expert analysis on why Trump sucks or is great, COVID is a hoax or serious, or why you should put an Edelbrock 600 on a 455.

ponyakr 06-28-2020 05:48 PM

Opinions differ.

I like some Pontiac pages, like this one that has LOTS of pics of old Pontiac race cars.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintagepontiacdrag/

I think a LOT of guys nowadays think it's somehow "macho" to badmouth FB & join in with the other guys who are doing the same. They sorta give the impression that they think if you like anything about FB you are somehow an inferior human being. It's sorta like school kid bullys makin fun of wimpy geeks.

To each his own. I'm old enuff now that I could care less what other online guys think about me. :old: :D

cdrookie 06-28-2020 06:27 PM

I concur TCS.. I use to refer people here, but whether they are on this forum, or Facebook, they are still people. These days I'm convinced whenever someone asks a question, they already think they know the answer, and want everyone to tell them the same think they think. 50 people can tell them that round port headers won't fit Kauffman D ports, but they buy OBX round ports cause they are cheap then start a new post complaining about OBX, Kauffman, Pontiac engines, and Pontiac people, when they won't bolt up.

goatless 06-28-2020 06:47 PM

It's always amazing to me that so many people who have no clue what they're talking about are so quick to offer up definitive answers to car questions on FB. I have been added to so many Pontiac groups on FB, but only a few are worth visiting.

1965gp 06-28-2020 07:32 PM

Never got on FB. It’s interesting to see that it’s not seen as ‘cool’ anymore when people were literally living on it 5 years ago.

Ben M. 06-28-2020 08:15 PM

I gladly offer up help on bookfaces. Doesn't mean I'm not told I'm an idiot countless times. I still try to help.

goatless 06-28-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben M. (Post 6155653)
I gladly offer up help on bookfaces. Doesn't mean I'm not told I'm an idiot countless times. I still try to help.

I am always glad to help, it's just a little disheartening to see how many ignorant or uninformed answers are thrown up as fact. It leaves the person who asked the question unsure of what the actual right answer is. I don't want to belittle someone trying to help, but if you don't actually know for sure, at least preface your answer with "I think" or something like that. That's what I do.

bdk1976 06-28-2020 09:38 PM

If you’re on Facebook looking for advice about ANYTHING, you get what you deserve.

GT182 06-28-2020 10:50 PM

They couldn't pay me to have a Facebook or Twitter account. From what I've heard about both it would be like slitting your own throat or wrists with a butter knife.

66sprint6 06-28-2020 11:10 PM

scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, Something interesting, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll...

getmygoat 06-28-2020 11:30 PM

I'm frequently referring questions to these forums, where there is an answer ready and waiting in the archives.

Much more basic level of knowledge on facebook. Folks on here are the experts.

Will 06-29-2020 12:28 AM

TCSGTO - I know what you're talking about. I'm in a couple of facebook groups and the level of 1970s era advice giving is pretty spectacular. I try to offer correct information when I can, but there's only so much you can do.

TCSGTO 06-29-2020 06:27 AM

There are some good parts for sale pages on FB. So good it looks like it’s replacing forums like this and other sites like Craigslist. Lots more content and variety on the FB marketplaces.

Just skip over the posts about needing exhaust back pressure or you’ll loose all your torque.

Ben M. 06-29-2020 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCSGTO (Post 6155765)
Just skip over the posts about needing exhaust back pressure or you’ll loose all your torque.

Wow. That's some high school Mustang 5.0 talk right there...

Seriously, these days all I use the bookfaces for is buying and selling cars and parts, not worth it for much else.

Frank R 06-29-2020 09:58 AM

I belong to a few of the Pontiac pages and some of answers to tech questions are just embarrassing. The majority of answers are incorrect. Most of the answers come from people that purchased their car restored. Their only contribution to the vehicle has been polishing it. Now they’re a expert in Pontiac restoration.

form74 06-29-2020 10:44 AM

I use Facebook groups more to sell parts than get any useful info.

Ducks Goat 06-30-2020 08:34 AM

I belong to a few FB Pontiac groups as well and you are correct in that there are some very misinformed people out there spreading very bad information and advice.