PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Time to go (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798876)

cgeise 12-14-2016 02:23 PM

Time to go

I have been struggling with this for a while now, but I feel its time to move away from the Pontiac as a race engine. The struggles to get parts are just stupid, wait and wait and still nothing, the frustration has gotten to be to much for me, as all of us have a limited time on earth to pursue our hobbies and passions I feel it is time for a change. For what its worth ALL my Pontiac related engine components and acc. are for sale. As I write this I have a new BBC ordered from a very reputable builder so offers to "help" by selling me something while appreciated are not needed.

I have always loved the challenge of competing with "something different" and being able to beat the big guys but the constant challenge that the Pontiac vendors keep presenting us is just to much -- take care and good luck.

Curt

PAUL K 12-14-2016 02:34 PM

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your future endeavors! :)

Jim Zeek 12-14-2016 02:35 PM

understandable. keep me in mind if you ever decide to sell the firebird. always liked it. maybe we will see you at Vegas some time

Blued and Painted 12-14-2016 02:51 PM

Oh snap. The competition is in trouble now that your on a level playing field. Good luck with the Iconic BBC.

slowbird 12-14-2016 03:05 PM

I hear ya! I've been wanting to upgrade for a LONG time but the product i want i just can't get. Very frustrating! Good luck moving forward.

69FIREBIRD76MM 12-14-2016 03:39 PM

Isn't Proline engines the best out there?

Hooter 12-14-2016 03:50 PM

Best of luck Curt.

Jack Ferris 12-14-2016 04:15 PM

Just keep going fast.

cgeise 12-14-2016 04:56 PM

thanks to all and it is still a Firebird :)

Tom Vaught 12-14-2016 05:46 PM

Good Luck with your program and don't make excuses about why you wanted to switch.

There are a lot of good engines out there that are not traditional engines and if you really want to just race, buy the most durable, fast, engine combination that your budget allows, put it in the car, and go for it. Every day is a day you can't get back.

Tom V.

PontiacMatt72 12-14-2016 06:42 PM

I guess the modern LS engine hasn't caught up with the potential of BBC? I wouldn't know, just curious... seems that would be the route I would take if I ever ventured from Pontiac.

Good Luck Curt!

GTO Dan 12-14-2016 08:16 PM

Good luck Curt. It's been fun following you while carrying the Pontiac flag. Continued success!

BruceWilkie 12-14-2016 09:22 PM

Check in once in awhile. Dont like but understand the BBC switch and certainly glad its not SBC or LS platform. Best of luck to you.

S/st 54 12-14-2016 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgeise (Post 5668903)
I have been struggling with this for a while now, but I feel its time to move away from the Pontiac as a race engine. The struggles to get parts are just stupid, wait and wait and still nothing, the frustration has gotten to be to much for me, as all of us have a limited time on earth to pursue our hobbies and passions I feel it is time for a change. For what its worth ALL my Pontiac related engine components and acc. are for sale. As I write this I have a new BBC ordered from a very reputable builder so offers to "help" by selling me something while appreciated are not needed.

I have always loved the challenge of competing with "something different" and being able to beat the big guys but the constant challenge that the Pontiac vendors keep presenting us is just to much -- take care and good luck.

Curt

Curt I completely understand every word you said.....I felt kinda dirty going the big block route but I got over it the 1st time I let go of the button and by the 1/8th I was wondering what took me so long to make the switch? MY CAR IS HAPPY with that all aluminum motor in it!!!........I get it though your still a die hard and put in way more time and effort$ than most would dream about....GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND CLINT!

ponjohn 12-14-2016 10:26 PM

What is it that has taken a long time to get? Not the vendors but the parts, heads, blocks, cranks?

GTOGEORGE 12-14-2016 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponjohn (Post 5669057)
What is it that has taken a long time to get? Not the vendors but the parts, heads, blocks, cranks?

I was kinda wondering the same thing.

GTO George

Squidward 12-15-2016 06:29 AM

I get it. I don't go fast enough to outgrow Pontiac V8's. But if I WAS going to get deep into racing, I would go generic/cheap/highly available, and leave the Poncho motors for the classic street crowd.

BTW, your statement about the finite time we have to play in our hobbies/passions was insightful.

Good luck!

ho428 12-15-2016 09:58 AM

I'm in the same boat. Right now I'm in a class with very few cars that was created for us misfits. To build a correct AS or HTA car I'd need a 310 cu in or less engine, and to be competitive it needs to spin over 8000 and have at least 600 hp.
To do that I'll need a dry sump sbc. Modern LS isn't allowed.
If the misfit class doesn't grow more cars then some point I'll probably have to make the switch, but it's not something I want to do.
Building a short deck small cube short stroke Pontiac is just about impossible when a SBC is basically off the shelf, down to the headers and intake.
I do get a lot of kudo's at the track for doing it differently but that doesn't make it any faster.

taff2 12-15-2016 10:04 AM

To each their own I suppose, I don't race competitively(there's no money in it over here) so I don't need an engine that puts me on a level playing field, but, I can understand someone who races just to win would want that,good luck.

Half-Inch Stud 12-15-2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ho428 (Post 5669179)
I'm in the same boat. Right now I'm in a class with very few cars that was created for us misfits. To build a correct AS or HTA car I'd need a 310 cu in or less engine, and to be competitive it needs to spin over 8000 and have at least 600 hp.
To do that I'll need a dry sump sbc. Modern LS isn't allowed.
If the misfit class doesn't grow more cars then some point I'll probably have to make the switch, but it's not something I want to do.
Building a short deck small cube short stroke Pontiac is just about impossible when a SBC is basically off the shelf, down to the headers and intake.
I do get a lot of kudo's at the track for doing it differently but that doesn't make it any faster.

Makes a great goal: Perhaps a Butler inspired 303 build using an Al block can be afforded?