PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   1971 Formula 455HO (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837835)

eaglesan13 02-09-2020 01:18 PM

1971 Formula 455HO

5 Attachment(s)
I found this car in Medford Oregon last June. It wasn't advertised, but I received an email from a guy I knew who told me the car belonged to a "friend of a friend" who was thinking of selling it. Needless to say, as soon as I found out about it I jumped in my car and took a road trip to Oregon.

The car was originally from Ontario Canada, and from some of the work orders I received with the car, it appears the car was in the Trenton Ontario area until at least 1994. Sometime after that the car went to Long Beach, Washington. In 2015, the owner sold the car to his cousin in Medford, and I bought the car from him.

The car was built in the Norwood plant during the second week of February 1971 (02B). The GM of Canada Vintage Vehicle paperwork (PHS) shows that the car was shipped to Hogan Pontiac Buick Ltd., Toronto, Ontario, Canada on February 12, 1971. The invoice shows the car was equipped as follows:

A01: GLASS TINTED - ALL WINDOWS
B42: MAT, LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT FLOOR COVER
B80: MOLDING, ROOF DRIP
B85: MOLDING, BELT REVEAL
B96: WHEEL OPENING MOLDING
C24: WIPERS - RECESSED PARK
C49: DEFROSTER: REAR WINDOW ELECTRIC
D35: MIRRORS: LT REMOTE AND RT MANUAL CONTROL - CUSTOM SPORT
D55: FRONT COMPARTMENT FLOOR CONSOLE
G80: REAR AXLE: SAFE-T-TRACK
H05: REAR AXLE - 3.73 RATIO
J50: BRAKES - VACUUM POWER
LS5: ENGINE: 455 CID - 4BBL - HO V8
M22: TRANSMISSION - 4 SPEED MANUAL HEAVY DUTY - CLOSE RATIO
N30: STEERING WHEEL - CUSTOM CUSION
N41: STEERING: POWER (VARIABLE RATIO)
PM7: TIRE: F60-15-B (2+2) BB B/WALL WHITE LETTERS
P05: WHEEL HONEYCOMB
U05: DUAL HORN
U30: RALLY GAUGE CLUSTER, CLOCK & TACHOMETER
U58: RADIO: AM/FM STEREO PUSHBUTTON
V01: RADIATOR: HEAVY DUTY
WU3: HOOD - RAM AIR INDUCTION
W54: DELUXE TRIM GROUP (BUCKET SEATS)
W66: MODEL OPTION: FIREBIRD FORMULA
W84: ADDITIONAL FUEL FOR DELIVERY
Z49: MANDATORY CANADIAN BASE EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS

The formula steering wheel and rear spoiler are not on the invoice, so they've been added at some point. The VIN stamps on the engine block and transmission case match the car, so they're original. The heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds and crossover, carburetor, distributor, air cleaner, cooling fan, radiator shroud, and alternator are all correct and probably original to the car. The rear axle gears have been changed to 3.08’s, (which I don’t care for). I doubt I’d put the 3.73 gears back in it, but I like the 3.42’s in my trans am, so I’ll probably put a set of those in this car.

The master cylinder is an aftermarket, but the original (EB code) master was in a box in the trunk. The radiator is incorrect, but I have a correct four core manual trans (FP code) radiator in the attic, so I’ll be installing that. There is an aftermarket am/fm cassette deck in the dash, but the original am/fm stereo radio and faceplate came with the car and they're in nice condition. The car has a mini starter in it, so unfortunately the 1108436 starter is missing. Other stuff that’s missing are the bumper jack, trunk mat, wheel opening moldings, and the rocker moldings.

The rear leaf springs are incorrect, and the car sits too high in the back for my liking, so I'll need to address that. The tires on the car are 225/60/15’s, which are too small, so I need to get some bigger tires to fill out the wheel wells. Sheet metal wise, it looks like it’s all the original stuff, and the body is really solid.

The odometer reading is 65,682, and considering the condition of the car, it would not surprise me if that was the original mileage. The car has had an inexpensive repaint, and the color is just a bit too dark. The original color is Lucern blue, but it now looks more like Atoll blue to me. The interior is black deluxe.

By coincidence, my 1971 Trans Am is also an 02B Norwood car. The body sequence numbers are only 684 units apart, so these two cars were built pretty close to each other (time wise). The date codes on the two cars are within days of each other on many of the parts. Both cars were shipped to Ontario Canada, with the Trans Am going to GM of Canada in Oshawa, and the Formula going to Hogan Pontiac in Toronto, a distance of about forty miles from each other.

eaglesan13 02-09-2020 01:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics...

Norwood 02-09-2020 01:24 PM

Looks like a great car.

napster 02-09-2020 01:42 PM

I think the word is SCORE! Nice looking car. Good luck with it.

Some times buying a car like that turns out to be a really good transaction. Instead of even buying a car off this site that turns out bad. You know the story you get verbally and then there is the story the car tells you. Both stories are different.

At any rate, looks like a really good condition car.

Jim

napster 02-09-2020 01:54 PM

You mentioned the car had a cheap repaint. Is there any of the original paint on the bottom side of the trunk lid?

72projectbird 02-09-2020 02:01 PM

Beautiful car! Lots of cool options.

The 70 Mustang and the Saleen Fox are also sweet!

johnta1 02-09-2020 02:36 PM

Very Nice!

:)

RicksGTO 02-09-2020 03:12 PM

wow, congrats on such a nicely optioned car!! It looks like a once in a lifetime find!

'ol Pinion head 02-09-2020 03:22 PM

Lov'in it! best color combo, M22, non AC, gauges...

Glad you pulled the trigger Chris.

FASTASSBIRD 02-09-2020 03:36 PM

3.73 in 71? I didn’t know that was even an option. Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judge273 02-09-2020 03:57 PM

Cool Chris!

When you can give us some dates on those parts.
What's the Alt number 927 or 928 with rear defogger.

Bentwheelbob 02-09-2020 06:16 PM

Congratulations. A very nice score and you should be thrilled. I look forward to seeing what you with the car. Much more rare than a TA and it only lacks the Y99 Handling Package.

Looks very presentable like it is. I would focus on getting the mechanical bits and small details right and drive the wheels off of it. Of course this comes from a guy that blew a perfectly fine ‘72 Formula 455 HO into a million pieces and made it too nice to drive. Whatever you do, it’s your car and I hope you enjoy it.

Pepper Judge 02-09-2020 06:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice find with great options! Good to see that it wasn't destroyed here in the southern Ontario winter weather.

Cool to see the Canadian Forces Base Trenton sticker too.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...6&d=1581265832

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...0&d=1581265894

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglesan13 (Post 6108722)

The car was originally from Ontario Canada, and from some of the work orders I received with the car, it appears the car was in the Trenton Ontario area until at least 1994...

The car was built in the Norwood plant during the second week of February 1971 (02B). The GM of Canada Vintage Vehicle paperwork (PHS) shows that the car was shipped to Hogan Pontiac Buick Ltd., Toronto, Ontario, Canada on February 12, 1971.

Hogan Pontiac Ltd. was one of the first and largest Pontiac dealers in the Toronto area until GM destroyed that in 2009. Reinvented as Hogan Chevrolet Buick GMC Limited and remains operational today but at a different location.

Would be cool if they still had paperwork for your car; might be worth a call (416) 291-5054 even though they moved from the Danforth to Sheppard Avenue East in the early 80's .

Photos of Hogan Pontiac Buick (Acadian GMC Vauxhall) circa 1968 and 1972 below. Grand Prix, Lemans, and Buick Wildcat to name a few are visible.

There may be a possibility to get the prior owner's names (from Ontario only) with the VIN. If you want me to look into it Chris, send me a PM.

Brewster 02-09-2020 07:56 PM

Beautiful ride and well optioned car. Gotta love the M22 in any ride let alone 455HO.
Hope to see it in Dayton Ohio this year at the nats. Its worth the trip especially with a ride like that. I think they even give an award for those who travel the furthest away.

keith k 02-09-2020 08:25 PM

Congrats, Chris - definitely a holy grail car! And a perfect pairing with your T/A :)

1965gp 02-09-2020 09:05 PM

Awesome looking Formula!

Need more pics of that 93 Saleen SSC.. probably the best looking Saleen ever made.

SD455DJ 02-10-2020 08:20 AM

Wow Chris! One of the very few with digger gears and Ram Air from the factory! That is such a great find and numbers matching just adds to the WOW factor. Congratulations!

Interesting that it doesn't have the Y99 handling pkg. that BWB pointed out, but has the 15" HC wheels. Is the N30 Steering Wheel - Custom Cushion not the Formula Wheel? How is the sheet metal?

Dennis

bird72 02-10-2020 01:06 PM

What an amazing car and score for you. Perfect drivetrain combo and no AC. Out of curiosity have you verified smaller Formula sway bars? Like others am surprised at the no Y99 with the big honeycombs. No matter, just a perfect option and color car. "WOW".

unruhjonny 02-10-2020 01:54 PM

wow!!
looks like you hit the jackpot!!
Congratulations!!

TTOP350 02-10-2020 02:27 PM

WOW very cool car!