PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Exhaust TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Pypes exhaust kit (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828630)

64speed 04-07-2019 10:46 PM

Pypes exhaust kit

I am looking at the Pypes exhaust kit for my 64 and I wanted some feedback from people running it. I am running Doug’s headers about how short does the piper come up from the header meaning how long a piece will I need to mate the Pypes to the header collector? Anyone have any leaks? I have never run a clamped together system before it has always been welded with no x pipe or anything and this will be my first self installed system. I can’t have any leaks because of the oxygen sensor. Is the Pypes the best system to get for a 3 inch x pipe system on an a body? All my previous other systems I have ever run have been welded up by the exhaust shop and crush bent. Finally the tips come out right at the back bumper straight out but I want them curved to come out at the quarter panel kinda pointed to the ground. Will it hurt performance to have them crush bent ove to the side a little that far back?

wbnapier 04-08-2019 11:46 AM

I just visited their booth at the Good Guys Show in Del Mar. They had a 64-67 GM A-body set up on display. X style.

The system looked good and they run to about 6" + or - from the header exhaust flange for long tube headers.

They have a piece that mates up with your header exhaust flange (depending on collector size and exhaust size). You would cut this to length, slide on and clamp on exhaust side and bolt up the other side to the header exhaust flange. This piece is about 2' long, so they have a cut-to-length solution for different headers.

They have a show discount, about $400+ shipping or something in that ballpark.

64speed 04-08-2019 09:27 PM

I was reading old posts on here and articles on the internet and some people have complained about the fit. Specifically how all the system tucks up under the car. I have never assembled an exhaust system before and I have never used clams I have always had a muffler shop crush bend a system and weld it up solid. How do you mount the hangars without a welder? I have one I am just curious. How do get the x pipe under the trans without it hanging too low. So many unknowns for me having no experience with it. Sorry if my questions are ridiculous

mf67gto 04-09-2019 09:24 PM

Pypes Exhaust kit

64speed - look at the Pypes site and the high tuck system. This is supposed to address your question and the x pipe will be behind the trans (closer to rearend).
https://pypesexhaust.com/i-23437301-...tem-sga20.html

Also many of the hangers would bolts into the frame in the factory spots - cross member over rear and near back end of car (tailpipe hanger). Let's see if anyone has installed this system. Looks like you would also need a down pipe if using Ram Air Exh manifolds or some type of extensions to connect up to the system. Hope this helps.

64speed 04-09-2019 09:47 PM

Damn that’s a shame because it’s exactly what I am looking for but I don’t want their mufflers and I need it in 3 inch. I have heard the flowmaster is a really good fitting kit. Anyone have any experience with it?

mf67gto 04-09-2019 10:08 PM

Take a look - you can order the system without mufflers. I'm assuming this is a street car only and you may have a set of headers with 3" collectors? This exh system starts at the cross member as you can see when you click on the pic and look at it more closely. Could you use a collector extension like Pypes sells to go from 3" to 2.5" - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-pvr16s/overview/

Just some options for you. Do you need 3" to the tailpipe?

64speed 04-09-2019 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mf67gto (Post 6011647)
Take a look - you can order the system without mufflers. I'm assuming this is a street car only and you may have a set of headers with 3" collectors? This exh system starts at the cross member as you can see when you click on the pic and look at it more closely. Could you use a collector extension like Pypes sells to go from 3" to 2.5" - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-pvr16s/overview/

Just some options for you. Do you need 3" to the tailpipe?

Yes I need 3 inch. 467 making an estimated 600/600

64speed 04-10-2019 10:01 PM

Well I got a reply from Pypes that said they didn’t make the high tuck system without mufflers or in the 3 inch size. I was advised that too big off an exhaust system would cause me to lose horsepower and torque. I know this rumor has been dispelled many times by many different sources so I guess I will be goingvwith the flowmaster system.

tom s 04-10-2019 10:23 PM

You have a street car,you don't NEED 3in.You want 3in,your going to have way more HP than you will use 90 percent of the time.JMO,Tom

tom s 04-10-2019 10:25 PM

I have driven a lot of 550-575 HP street cars and use 2.5 but have been mandrel bent.Tom

64speed 04-10-2019 11:53 PM

Tom that’s not the point it’s my money. If I want diesel stacks sell them to me. I just think outright lying and saying 3 inch exhaust will cause me to lose torque and horsepower is sorry. Oh yeah and he didn’t even spell lose correctly, I will “loose” horsepower

Marv 04-11-2019 12:27 AM

Taking out them refusing to sell you an exhaust I think 3in is going to make your life harder. Going to a smaller pipe (a twin 2.5in, for example) with mandrel bends would help you fit the exhaust tighter against the body, meaning you're not going to bash the pipes when you hit a bump at freeway speeds.

As for 3in being too big a guy I know has a very angry 582ci big-block Chevy in a Chevelle-sized car. Last time I saw it on the dyno it made 960hp to the tyre through a TH400 and 9in and it uses twin 2.75in pipes. That car has run low 8s in full trim at over 175mph.

Formulajones 04-11-2019 01:47 PM

We run a couple of 3" systems here on our A-body street cars. My fathers is a conglomeration of 3 different brands of stuff that is made to fit together and works quite well.

Mine is also a couple different brands that work fine together.

Both systems use an "X" cross over. Fitment is fine. On my car you can't even see the exhaust system, lol. It just takes time to tweak and move things around to your liking.

Pretty much every exhaust I do here are "Bolt On" kits but they are never simply "bolt on". They take some fiddling, cutting, tweaking, welding, etc...

I've done a ton of the Pypes systems, and currently run 2 of their systems on our cars here, and will finish installing another one on a customer car soon. They all have taken some time to install and get things where they need to be.

I've also used at least 3 or maybe 4 of the Flowmaster exhaust kits, both in tranverse and A-body dual muffler. Fitment wasn't any better with those than they have been with Pypes. They all simply need tweaking. I use Pypes these days because it's reasonably priced and it's stainless. Flowmaster is still using the same aluminized coated systems they've been selling for decades, and the prices aren't any cheaper.

One of my favorite systems to install were Torque Tech. They made the best fitting 3" systems on the planet, and is what most of the systems are comprised of on our A-bodies. Unfortunately they are no longer in business.

I even did a 4" system on one of our 4th gen Fbodies from Mufflex. Talk about a tight car to get an exhaust system on, with a panhard bar and torque arm. Yet that 4" system fit like a glove and tucked up nicely. Don't think they make anything for the older classics however.

64speed 04-11-2019 09:00 PM

I am sure a heavily modified Chevrolet will make excellent power with 2.5 but how much did he give up by not having 3? Also you dont think it’s ridiculous that in this day and time an exhaust company would tell me i would lose power with a bigger exhaust

Formulajones 04-11-2019 09:13 PM

In every single instance I've increased pipe size I gained performance whether at the track or a chassis Dyno, on various sized engines and HP levels.

ID67goat 04-11-2019 09:45 PM

Perhaps your best option is to buy a 3" kit and have a muffler shop install it. I did this and told them I wanted it to tuck up as tight as possible. With a few minor tweaks on their bender they made it fit great. I also had them weld flanges behind the mufflers so I could easily remove the head pipes if needed.

Chris65LeMans 04-11-2019 11:37 PM

If you’re going to daily drive the car, 3” will be much louder. My car’s a hot rod, so I told the exhaust shop I wanted it loud. I have 3 tube headers going into 3” pipes, with 2.5” after the mufflers. (Shop said they couldn’t fit 3” over the rear end.). All mandrel bent, and it’s loud all right.

Speargun 04-12-2019 07:54 PM

Check with a local muffler shop & see what they charge to install a system for you.
That's what I'm going to do next time as it will cost the same, or less, than a DIY kit and will end up fitting better. The other advantage is that if there is a problem, the shop should warranty their work and can fix it without having to call tech support, email photos, send back parts, etc....

TedRamAirII 04-12-2019 08:47 PM

I think finding a shop that has a way to make up Mandrel Bent pipes is going to be hard. Pipes bent on a tube bender by Bubba and Leroy are for grocery getters. Seems like you could use a OVAL pipe, that would be good for clearance issues.http://www.stainlessheaders.com/oval_exhaust_tubing

242177P 04-12-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedRamAirII (Post 6012713)
I think finding a shop that has a way to make up Mandrel Bent pipes is going to be hard. Pipes bent on a tube bender by Bubba and Leroy are for grocery getters. Seems like you could use a OVAL pipe, that would be good for clearance issues.http://www.stainlessheaders.com/oval_exhaust_tubing

While 'money is no object', make no mistake, he is price shopping.
If that sounds completely contradictory, well, it is.