PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Pontiacs seen at Pigeon Forge (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833999)

400 4spd. 09-15-2019 06:15 PM

Pontiacs seen at Pigeon Forge

5 Attachment(s)
I just attended the 3 day Rod Run in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. Thousands upon thousands of cars were in attendance and scattered for miles down the main drag. Even though it was an almost all Chevy gathering of rat rods, restored and resto-modded muscle cars, pick ups, etc., I did find a few Pontiacs scattered throughout.

Here are some of them.

400 4spd. 09-15-2019 06:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A few more..

67TIGER 09-15-2019 06:18 PM

Those are great pictures, thanks for posting them.

tempest1964 09-15-2019 06:35 PM

Looks like you had a great w/e for the show. Thanks

fyrffytr1 09-15-2019 10:30 PM

Thanks for the pictures. I have been there a few times in the past. Used to you could sit a lawn chair out by the road and watch old cars drive by all day and well into the night. The last time I went 90% of the old cars were parked and there was not much to look at driving by. I don't know how it is now, the last time I was there was about 10 years ago.

mgarblik 09-16-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 (Post 6062359)
Thanks for the pictures. I have been there a few times in the past. Used to you could sit a lawn chair out by the road and watch old cars drive by all day and well into the night. The last time I went 90% of the old cars were parked and there was not much to look at driving by. I don't know how it is now, the last time I was there was about 10 years ago.

Was driving home from Ashville, NC last weekend and took a little detour through Gatlinburg and ran into the Pigeon Forge event by accident. It was huge! As mentioned, great cars lined the streets for miles on both sides of the road. But as someone who knows nothing about the event itself, what actually goes on once you drive your car to Pigeon Forge? Is it an actual organized event with car stuff to do? Or just a giant cruise-in? Curious for the future. BTW, very few Pontiacs from my casual drive through. I would guestimate about 50% Chevy and 50% everything else. I do remember seeing a few of the Pontiac's pictured though.

fyrffytr1 09-16-2019 05:15 PM

There is a large show on Saturday but I am not sure where they have it now. Used to have it at a big field on the north end of town. They had a top 25 area where high high dollar cars were shown. One of the cars was rolled off the enclosed trailer on spare tires, then jacked up and the spares swapped out for the show set!

400 4spd. 09-16-2019 05:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The weekend prior to this past one there was an event called "Shades of the Past". That one is a judged show for cars '72 and older. If you hit the link I gave you can scroll down and see the map of the location.
This past weekend was loosely organized and wasn't limited to 1972 and older, so there were a few cars and trucks from the '80s. The only new Challengers, Corvettes and Mustangs I saw were running the streets and not trying to dominate the parking spots.

https://www.pigeonforgetnguide.com/c...s-of-the-past/

400 4spd. 09-16-2019 05:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some others.

400 4spd. 09-16-2019 05:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Lots of this too....

fyrffytr1 09-16-2019 09:31 PM

Shades of the Past was the event I went to. Couldn't remember the name!

bkmont 09-17-2019 08:15 PM

My buddy and I have been hitting those two shows for quite awhile now.
It used to be called the Grand Rod Run. Named after the Grand Resort Hotel which by the way held the honor of being called the dirtiest hotel in the country at one time. The hotel has since been torn down. The event is now called the Pigeon Forge Rod Run held the weekend after the the Shades of the Past car show.

The Shades of the Past Show/Swap is set up in the Dollywood parking lots. They pick a roster of top cars on Friday. Those cars set-up for display inside the park's Splash Mountain area.

The Pigeon Forge Rod Run's main show is held at the Leconte Convention Center. It has an indoor show in the convention center and an outdoor show in the parking lot. It has a swap meet too.

Both shows always bring out a slew of cars up and down both sides of the Parkway.

The Rod Run shows seems to bring the most wheeler dealers - For Sale or Trade Up , Down or Sideways.

mgarblik 09-18-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkmont (Post 6063009)
My buddy and I have been hitting those two shows for quite awhile now.
It used to be called the Grand Rod Run. Named after the Grand Resort Hotel which by the way held the honor of being called the dirtiest hotel in the country at one time. The hotel has since been torn down. The event is now called the Pigeon Forge Rod Run held the weekend after the the Shades of the Past car show.

The Shades of the Past Show/Swap is set up in the Dollywood parking lots. They pick a roster of top cars on Friday. Those cars set-up for display inside the park's Splash Mountain area.

The Pigeon Forge Rod Run's main show is held at the Leconte Convention Center. It has an indoor show in the convention center and an outdoor show in the parking lot. It has a swap meet too.

Both shows always bring out a slew of cars up and down both sides of the Parkway.

The Rod Run shows seems to bring the most wheeler dealers - For Sale or Trade Up , Down or Sideways.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it could be fun coupled with other things for the family to do.