PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   What size lugs and nuts? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834434)

F ROCK 10-01-2019 11:16 AM

What size lugs and nuts?

Hello All,
I just bought some new rear drums but my local pep boys cannot tell me what size the factory lugs were.
I don't have the car handy right now and would like to try to pick something up on the ride home tonight.
what size is recommended?
Thanks!

Keith Seymore 10-01-2019 11:37 AM

What kind of car?

Model Year?

steve25 10-01-2019 12:06 PM

Let me see now , you can get on line here to post up this question, yet you can't go on line to like ... the rock auto supply site to look up and find the info that you need.
A word that pops into my mind here is lazy!

F ROCK 10-01-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve25 (Post 6067310)
Let me see now , you can get on line here to post up this question, yet you can't go on line to like ... the rock auto supply site to look up and find the info that you need.
A word that pops into my mind here is lazy!

Thanks for your help.
A WORD THAT COMES TO MIND AFTER READING YOUR REPLY IS ASSHAT.

F ROCK 10-01-2019 12:14 PM

THE STREET SECTION..".NO QUESTION TOO SIMPLE HERE"

steve25 10-01-2019 12:19 PM

I call it as I see it !

F ROCK 10-01-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve25 (Post 6067316)
I call it as I see it !

SO DO I.

1968GTO421 10-01-2019 12:27 PM

Most likely lug nuts are 7/16"-20

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...249275&jsn=978

F ROCK 10-01-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 (Post 6067318)

Thank you.

I thought it would be better to ask my Pontiac "FRIENDS" what they were using, rather than go with what was posted for sale online.
This is some great Pontiac community we have.

jerry455 10-01-2019 12:40 PM

It could depend on which generation of car you have. In the 60's and 70's they were standard, in the 80's and newer they are metric. No is trying to give you a hard time, well maybe some, but in order to help our fellow Pontiac friend, we need some basic information.

RocktimusPryme 10-01-2019 01:07 PM

It just turned into the Race section for a second there.

F ROCK 10-01-2019 02:08 PM

Yeah; I THOUGHT this was a forum where quote " STREET, NO QUESTION TOO BASIC HERE"; and you could get answers for your simple questions from SUPPORTIVE fellow Pontiac owners; But the REALITY is that MOST of the folks that respond to my questions here are just giving critiques and sarcasm.
I didn't miss this forum when I took a break; and since I've returned I've noticed ALOT more fighting and unnecessary BULL****.

I've also noticed that some members , judging by the times and the amount of posts per day, have NOTHING else to do but respond to posts; and often it's just to jab at someone or argue, instead of giving answers or helping with good advise. I feel sorry for you. You really want to feel important, but you don't because you're not. You really want to feel respected in this forum but you don't because you're not.

...Suspend me I said BULL****...I probably don't need this forum.

Keith Seymore 10-01-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry455 (Post 6067326)
It could depend on which generation of car you have. In the 60's and 70's they were standard, in the 80's and newer they are metric. No is trying to give you a hard time, well maybe some, but in order to help our fellow Pontiac friend, we need some basic information.

x2.

Basic information is nice.

K

68lemans462 10-01-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F ROCK (Post 6067350)
Yeah; I THOUGHT this was a forum where quote " STREET, NO QUESTION TOO BASIC HERE"; and you could get answers for your simple questions from SUPPORTIVE fellow Pontiac owners; But the REALITY is that MOST of the folks that respond to my questions here are just giving critiques and sarcasm.
I didn't miss this forum when I took a break; and since I've returned I've noticed ALOT more fighting and unnecessary BULL****.

I've also noticed that some members , judging by the times and the amount of posts per day, have NOTHING else to do but respond to posts; and often it's just to jab at someone or argue, instead of giving answers or helping with good advise. I feel sorry for you. You really want to feel important, but you don't because you're not. You really want to feel respected in this forum but you don't because you're not.

...Suspend me I said BULL****...I probably don't need this forum.

Butthurt much? :rolleyes:

Formulajones 10-01-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 6067390)
x2.

Basic information is nice.

K

X3
I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt figuring he may not be able to search for info at the time he posted, so I was going to offer help but without even knowing what kind of car we were talking about I passed on advice since I couldn't give an accurate answer.

ZeGermanHam 10-01-2019 08:23 PM

Wow, some less than sterling behavior in this thread. Way to be welcoming, fellas...

A.W.Dille 10-01-2019 09:46 PM

7/16 x 20 for bolts and nuts. The main thing is the size of the knurl of the bolt where it goes into the axle. You'll need to know what the rearend was originally out of.

Formulajones 10-01-2019 10:15 PM

And to add to what A.W. said, It's been my experience in the last couple years that the parts store can't even look up that proper knurl stud per application, or they just don't want to waste time on it given the fact these cars are 50+ years old and things change. I've had to physically take an old stud in, mic the knurl, and then go through an assortment of studs in a book with various knurl diameters to find one that would work, then 99% of the time order that stud because they never seem to have it in stock. LOL

RocktimusPryme 10-02-2019 08:58 AM

Generally speaking, I support trying to find your own answers before soliciting for them. I try to do so myself most of the time. That said, with small parts like this the parts houses will often give mixed info. I had to buy new press in lugs and I went to about 5 different sources before I got what I felt was a consensus.

Mostly I think Summits website is the best for that stuff, but even it has steered me wrong before.

F ROCK 10-02-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme (Post 6067608)
Generally speaking, I support trying to find your own answers before soliciting for them. I try to do so myself most of the time. That said, with small parts like this the parts houses will often give mixed info. I had to buy new press in lugs and I went to about 5 different sources before I got what I felt was a consensus.

Mostly I think Summits website is the best for that stuff, but even it has steered me wrong before.

Exactly. I didn't want to waste a bunch of time sorting facts from fiction shopping online, as I am using my work computer.

Make and model? are you for real?
Well you could guess it's a Pontiac right? And i'm probably talking about a GP, lemans or bird right? although there are many models; how many different lugs were used? I don't really care. but not many. Most of our members here just want to belittle each other to make themselves feel important. Amusing now that I look at it.
I've got my lugs. Some of you guys are as bad as the girls behind the parts counters.