PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   1982-92 TA & FB TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=442)
-   -   Any Turbo charged experts out there??? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412989)

68ragtop 04-18-2002 08:51 PM

I just bought a 80 T/A with the 301 Turbo. The car has 52,000 miles but has been stored for the last 15 years. When I start the car, it runs, & gets progresivley rough as it warms up. 2-3 minutes. The turbo gets super hot The Gate valve does not seem to move. Should it? I know nothing about these engines.

Any input would be great!

68ragtop 04-18-2002 08:51 PM

I just bought a 80 T/A with the 301 Turbo. The car has 52,000 miles but has been stored for the last 15 years. When I start the car, it runs, & gets progresivley rough as it warms up. 2-3 minutes. The turbo gets super hot The Gate valve does not seem to move. Should it? I know nothing about these engines.

Any input would be great!

RossGN 04-18-2002 11:40 PM

I would first do the basic stuff..plugs, dist cap. rotor, timing, clean carb etc. and then see how it runs. The wastegate shouldnt open except under boost (its purpose is to bleed boost off after a certain level to avoid detonation).

The fact that it is a turbo does not really come into play until your accelerating and thus bulding boost. Get the car running well under part throttle conditions and then check any turbo associated problems (oiling, shaft play, exhaust leaks etc)

Ross ;)

78 Trans Am 04-19-2002 12:23 AM

Not that I am any type of turbo expert, but I have owned 2 Chrysler turbo cars. I had something very similar happen, to the point that the turbo glowed red at night. I had a plugged catalytic converter, a very bad thing for any car, but worse for a turbo, as now the exhaust has no where to go. Luckily I didnt kill the turbo. Uncork the exhaust and see what happens, hopefully this helps.

68ragtop 04-19-2002 07:24 AM

Thanks for the input. I did change the wires, cap & rotor, & the plugs. IT just seems a little rough at idle. While it's running, if I manualy open the wast gate. it speeds up a touch & seems smoother. I removed the exhaust pipe & used a long screwdriver to reach the blades of the turbo.
The unit seems to spin easy. Maybe that is just the way these cars are?

Thanks again

mike nixon 04-19-2002 10:19 AM

i'd check the exhaust for restrictions, convertor, muffler [ mouse or bees nest?] ect. also make sure the choke is working properly. if the problem clears up after the choke plate opens up check the primary choke pulloff. it should hold vacuum and pull the choke plate open about a 1/4". mike

'ol Pinion head 04-19-2002 10:57 AM

Another possible problem area to ck on the '80 Turbo 301's is the vacuum harness. Swelled up, dried out small hoses will create vac or pressure leaks. Ck the the molded rubber plug, & hoses coming out of PEVR to carb, & all other small hoses.

68ragtop 04-19-2002 01:25 PM

you hit it right on the head! I was looking over the vacuum lines & some where cracked, some where just breaking down. I replaced ever line, & it runs perfect. That is one fussy engine. Can't belive what a difference.

Thanks for all the help!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

chaz069 11-19-2014 04:43 PM

Try the 301 garage forum. Thats all they play with. chaz069