PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   66-67 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Air vent pull knobs, replacements? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834318)

66sprint6 09-26-2019 08:02 PM

Air vent pull knobs, replacements?

I'm noticing that the knobs under the dash in my '66, that you use to pull open the air vents (non-A/C car) have faded chrome and now look like black plastic. Has anyone ever switched them out? I'm just wondering how to remove them without damaging anything and if replacements are available.

nashcar 09-26-2019 09:13 PM

As I remember replacements are readily available. I replaced mine on my Firebird. The old ones just crumbled when I removed them. When I installed the new ones I put epoxy in them and pushed them on, still good after ten years.

GT182 09-26-2019 11:04 PM

My originals are so old they're white. The replacements are chrome plastic and are really replacement radio knobs, but look pretty good. I have a set but haven't put them on yet. I want new kick panels first. Just make sure you either use a really good glue or heat [not too hot] when you push them on. I was told to use heat but be very very careful.

Jeff Hamlin 09-27-2019 05:53 AM

IIRC just like the parking brake handle they are pushed onto a barbed shaft thus making them almost impossible to remove without damaging.

I always use a dremmel type tool to cut them off and be done with it.

FWIW the metal radio knobs make a nice substitute for the old electroplated chromed plastic ones.

GT182 09-27-2019 09:46 AM

Thanks Jeff, that info is good to know. Now I can change mine and no worry about them coming off. No glue, No heat. :D

TROYBOYONE 09-27-2019 03:32 PM

As Jeff stated, I too used the chrome radio knobs as replacements. Looks great and easy to get and attach.

GT182 09-27-2019 08:55 PM

I don't mind the chrome reproduction plastic knobs for the air vent pulls, but not on the radio.... unless it's absolutely necessary. The metal radio knobs to me are a must for the radio. And it's too bad that no one can make them. Actually it's the same thought for all the dash knobs.

TROYBOYONE 09-27-2019 09:27 PM

GT182: Leave the radio knobs where they are...go to a swap meet and buy original radio knobs..use them as replacements for the plastic vents. Radio knobs are fairly easy to find.

GT182 09-27-2019 10:51 PM

Troy, we don't get many swap meets around here with Pontiac parts, let alone parts for a 66 GTO. Tho I'm always looking. So for now plastic will have to do. ;)

Jeff Hamlin 09-29-2019 06:36 AM

FWIW;
RESTOPARTS offers '66 METAL dash knobs.
Jegs has them listed.

Half-Inch Stud 10-02-2019 08:29 PM

Certian 68 radio/dash knobs are exact to the vent knob.

Pull old vent knob off.
compare to your stash of Headlamp or radio knobs
Carefully press nice knob on

SR-71 10-03-2019 09:07 PM

No Pontiac swap meets!?!?!? Move to Ohio they have huge Pontiac swap meets :)