PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   20' dual axle camper trailer (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830656)

JUDGE3 06-22-2019 08:59 PM

20' dual axle camper trailer

contemplating a small-ish 20' camper. must be dual axle. anyone have such an animal? recommendation of one? brand?

I like the smaller ones for better access to nice wooded camping spots rather than being surrounded by trailer after trailer. iv'e had the larger 5th wheels and really don't desire that much trailer anymore. last year used a Kodiak truck bed tent and portable AC and enjoyed that but my wife wants more amenities.

hears a pic of my favorite campsite at beautiful beaver lake Arkansas. been going there since 1982! shaded, beautiful lake view, boat ramp 50 yards over from it.

Simple Man 06-23-2019 08:11 AM

New, or used?

Hammertime Mike 06-23-2019 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We bought a twenty footer a couple years ago, basically for the same reasons. The dual axle also was an absolute must, Our twenty footer gives us more access to remote camp sites and you can easily haul it with a half ton pick up. Good luck on your search.

JUDGE3 06-23-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Man (Post 6035310)
New, or used?

I guess were mostly looking at these 2 new.

the Jayco featherlight 17xfd is really neat with the tent pop outs gives you a lot more room.

but the winnabago micro Minnie has neat features to.

both are only 7' wide designed to tow easily behind the airstream of your truck. simple and easy. nothing fancy.

love boating and camping. most relaxing thing for me, dare I say I would give up my Pontiac before giving up my boating. my side of the family's from Arkansas. i'm a hillbillly.

68 461 Bird 06-23-2019 11:10 AM

You mentioned the boat ramp, do you pull a boat behind your 5th wheel? I don't think you can pull a boat behind a bumper pull camper.

JUDGE3 06-23-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 461 Bird (Post 6035335)
You mentioned the boat ramp, do you pull a boat behind your 5th wheel? I don't think you can pull a boat behind a bumper pull camper.

mercy no. boat stored near the lake. back home in off season. only going to pull a small camper.

I had a 28' 5th wheel and a crew cab one ton pick up 19 years ago, no boat then. actually did not really enjoy the 5th wheel. to big for remote camping that we enjoy and a real pain getting around. prefer the simple stuff.

years ago had a in the bed truck camper. hassle when you want to run into town.

Simple Man 06-23-2019 01:25 PM

Both made in Middlebury Indiana. Both are decent units. more Amish work at Jayco, if it matters....

GT182 06-23-2019 04:23 PM

I like that Jay Flight Mike posted. I could probably pull it with my 2000 4x4 V8 Jeep GC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 461 Bird (Post 6035335)
I don't think you can pull a boat behind a bumper pull camper.

Don't say that. I saw a older retired couple from Kentucky pulling a boat behind a camper, behind they're mid 2000s bumper pull Chevy 4x4 pickup. They were heading North to the St. Lawrence River to go fishing. I asked the same question on if it was legal. They said they'd gotten no tickets and that it was legal in Kentucky. Other than that I've :noidea:

OG68 06-23-2019 04:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Been looking at these lately. A little pricey but appears to be built very well from what I could see. Aluminum framing.
www.golittleguy.com

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...7&d=1561321303

JUDGE3 10-17-2020 08:37 PM

Winnebago Micro Minnie

we wound up with a model 2108 murphy bed micro minnie. had to order it and wait because winnebago shut down like many other factory's. its a 2021, only 20' 5" and only 7' wide so visiabilty is great the slide out makes it feel much bigger. dry weight is right at 4,000 lbs. very easy towing and parking. has enclosed/heated tanks cold weather package and what winnebago calls the off road package, raised axles and all terrain tires.

already reserved our spot in yellowstone national park next year. smaller campers are recommended there. I just know I want to be in a hard shell camper i'm not into bear encounters. went with a honda 3000si portable generator. very very quiet running and more than enough power to run the 15,000 btu ac unit and all else.

easy to spot me, I put the 70-72 front bumper 'bird on back and a nice big KC CHIEFS spare tire cover complete with license frame KC CHIEFS SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS on back. :clap3:

Baron Von Zeppelin 10-17-2020 09:33 PM

Congrats on the new home away from home.
Hope you get a lot of enjoyment with it

I have an 82 Fleetwood Wilderness i use a lot.
Camper body is approx 18 feet, maybe 22 feet from bumper to tongue.

Your campsite on the lake is really nice too.

JUDGE3 10-18-2020 01:03 PM

we ordered ours in march, got it late june. in the march time frame we got a huge discount due to the whole u-know-what thing just beginning.

parts shortage and build delays are there for sure. our dealer ordered a lot at that time in anticipating todays market and has several on the lot. we were willing to travel out of state to get one but didn't mind waiting till June. the price variance in different parts of the country is unreal.

ours is 20' 5" including to the tongue

JUDGE3 10-18-2020 01:17 PM

.....22' 5" bumper to tongue.......19' camper

got our rv port thru alans discount carports from north Carolina.

68lemans462 10-19-2020 05:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I prefer the hybrid models myself as the pop-out beds take up no space inside the camper. I just upgraded from a Rockwood ROO 21SS to a 23SS during the past month. Paid $11k for the trailer and it is a 2014. Sold the 2009 21SS (booked for $8000) for $12,500! Some people have more money than brain$ and there is low inventory for campers right now especially used ones.

The 23SSis 24' long and 4,500# dry. Feels big inside and PLENTY of space for everything you need plus 2 queen beds, one on each end and a big slide out.