PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   69-71 Judges only TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=434)
-   -   Never say never.... I think? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812549)

north 12-04-2017 01:53 PM

Never say never.... I think?

1 Attachment(s)
Stumbled across this on the internet over the weekend. A Canadian sold Judge (originally from near me) that appears to have a power antenna.

I never thought I'd see one but it's possible the PHS been photoshopped but I don't see any sign of it..

north 12-04-2017 02:19 PM

Too bad the VIN is blocked, I'd be willing to pay for a new copy from GM of Canada to be sure it's legit.

1969 Ram Air 12-04-2017 04:38 PM

Very cool. Maybe you could only get this option on a Canadian Judge?

north 12-04-2017 04:43 PM

I have never seen any indication that 69 GTO’s sold in Canada (none made in Canada) had any different specs or option variations but perhaps an incorrect order coming in from GM of Canada (Canadian dealers didn’t deal directly with Pontiac) had a lesser chance of being rejected than one from an individual US dealer?

judger69 12-04-2017 07:42 PM

Pretty early Judge - Shipped Jan 28, likely an 01C or 01D cowl tag. Ordered a few weeks before that. Definitely not a pattern car. Lots of options.

Maybe ordered before they realized the problem of the antenna hitting the wing. Wasn't there a bulletin stating that they would not be allowed to be ordered together? What date was that?

north 11-28-2019 06:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I found the Canadian version of the documentation for this power antenna Judge.

Baron Von Zeppelin 11-30-2019 10:32 PM

Great find on those GM of Canada documents

GregP 12-02-2019 09:38 AM

Not to sidetrack the thread but how do you get the GM of Canada docs? Is it the same as PHS?

Bermuda Blue 12-02-2019 09:44 AM

https://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/

johnta1 12-02-2019 10:31 AM

And only if car was shipped to Canada or built there?

:confused:

GregP 12-02-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bermuda Blue (Post 6086800)

Thank you!

north 12-05-2019 12:28 PM

If I had a sold new in Canada GTO I'd get both the US and Canadian info packages. You get more info on the Canadian info packet but you don't see the actual document just a letter from whomever transcribed the info so I'd still get the PHS document too, that why you have first hand access to an actual GM document.

GregP 12-05-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by north (Post 6087907)
If I had a sold new in Canada GTO I'd get both the US and Canadian info packages. You get more info on the Canadian info packet but you don't see the actual document just a letter from whomever transcribed the info so I'd still get the PHS document too, that why you have first hand access to an actual GM document.

I contacted them and the cost is $140 including postage. I have the PHS so I'm not really sure how much more info I will get, other than the selling dealership in Canada. Anyone else get one and does it have additional information I wouldn't have already?
My 69 Judge was built in Pontiac and shipped to a Canadian dealership May/June 69.

north 12-05-2019 01:09 PM

If I could only have one of the two packets I’d take the PHS one .

Up to you if you’d want to spend $140 to find out the original dealer. I’d guess it was worth it if you were trying to track down earlier owners.

yak 12-06-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by north (Post 6087920)
If I could only have one of the two packets I’d take the PHS one .

Up to you if you’d want to spend $140 to find out the original dealer. I’d guess it was worth it if you were trying to track down earlier owners.

my canadian documents from vintage vehicle services told me the original selling dealer...

gtohurstjudge 12-09-2019 12:39 PM

I saw some pics online a couple of years ago of a Carousel Red Judge
convertible inside a barn covered with dirt and bird poop that had been sitting there since the late 70's. It belonged to the original owner's family and it was
a very loaded up car with options like power windows and seat, power trunk release, A/C. wood wheel , tilt column and yes it had a rear power antenna that the family claimed had been there since it left the factory. The build sheet
was not pictured it but it was claimed to be a totally legit special ordered Judge.
Interestingly, the very first Judge prototype built by Royal Pontiac where they
converted the Limelight green Ram Air IV hardtop press car had a power antenna. I added a power antenna to my car 45 years ago and I love it. Actually
you can raise the antenna up quite a bit before it interferes with the spoiler.
I did this because the noise the front fender antenna made at highway speeds with the top down was very annoying.

Baron Von Zeppelin 12-09-2019 04:54 PM

That barn car eventually got documented , and was not a Judge Convertible.

That was the one stored with the top down. iirc
Think it panned out as a YS car , also.

gtohurstjudge 12-09-2019 05:02 PM

Yes, that sounds like the car.......the top was down and the whole car
covered with decades worth of grime.

north 12-09-2019 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Clearly power antennas were not offered on Judges, somehow this Canadian car slipped through, perhaps by accident? I suspect that because they were only building pattern cars at that time they hadn't formalized any conflict restrictions with options and this one sneaked in under the wire.

On a sort of related subject I had many years ago a 68 GP, it had a factory power antenna that got mangled a few times. Unlike the rest of the 68 fullsize Pontiac's the 68 GP had unique rear sheetmetal that included a very wide rear trunklid that was trapezoidal (wider at the bumper end than at the backlight end). So if you left the antenna up the antenna would rub against the trunklid as you opened it. Worse if it was half way up you'd catch the top of the mast closing the trunklid.

Obviously the problem with an antenna interacting with a judge spoiler is even worse.