PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=530)
-   -   Searching for 1971-1981 owners of my GTO hardtop VIN: 242371Z111902 (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846010)

71HT111902 11-19-2020 08:14 PM

Searching for 1971-1981 owners of my GTO hardtop VIN: 242371Z111902

I've posted similar information in another forum. No results yet, so I thought I might try the 'Southwest' forum hoping someone from the areas of Dickinson, Garland and/or Dallas might be able to assist.

I am the owner of 242371Z111902.

The Lucerne Blue and Dark Blue interior '71 GTO has a 400 ci, turbo 400 auto trans, 3.23 rear gear, and was built in Fremont, California. It was sold new at Gay Pontiac in Dickinson, TX, near the Gulf Coast of Texas. The car was ordered and came with a console mounted 8-track tape player and full-length body side moldings. The GTO has a '68 Dual Gate in it which someone installed before 1981. It is an A/C car with a factory-ordered formula steering wheel as well. Hopefully, these options might assist with the description to a possible former owner).

When I found the GTO in 2016 in Hampstead, Maryland (just North of Baltimore), it had been in Maryland for 2-years. The title listed the owner as a resident of Texas. With a little internet research I was able to find the Texas owner. He owned the car since 1981 and was from Garland, Texas. I've corresponded with that owner "John" during the last 4-5 years and he provided some useful information.

At the age of 15, John and his dad Milton purchased it in 1981 for $500.00 from an individual who had the GTO sitting in a department store parking lot in Garland, Texas. The prior owner had wrecked the GTO shortly after he had bought it, hitting a telephone pole. John doesn't think that the previous owner ever titled the GTO. The 15 year old, without a lot of funds, found junk yard parts, and replaced the Endura nose with one from a '72 LeMans (with GTO option package) and '72 LeMans hood (with the GTO option package). He drove the car through high school, and then primed it, readying it for paint. As bad luck would have it, on an icy day an International Harvester truck slid into the rear of the GTO. The GTO was then placed in the family garage where it stayed for the next 30 years.

The title that I received with the car listed John's dad Milton, but also listed who I believe to be the previous titled owner: Lynn Walker, Jr. from Dallas, Texas. When Walker owned the GTO his license plate read "KEX-121".

When I stripped out the interior I found a build sheet under the package tray, and another build sheet on top of the gas tank. beside the trans tunnel and the passenger bucket seat I found an Exxon gasoline receipt and the signature for a person named "G. Caldwell". The license plate recorded on the receipt read "KFW-144.

So, the car was sold in Dickinson, TX, and through various owners moved 269 miles North to Dallas and then another 18 miles East to Garland in the next 10 years (from 1971 when sold new until purchased by "John" in 1981.

I'm hoping someone from those areas remembers the car and can help me find and speak with the owners before John took possession in 1981.

Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.

I can place a current photo of my GTO as well as "before" photographs if someone can help explain to me how to do this.

Scott