PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Industry Stuff (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=473)
-   -   Anyone Remember Rubber Trunk Mats? '68 GTO (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834229)

Red Box Rebel 09-23-2019 10:26 PM

Anyone Remember Rubber Trunk Mats? '68 GTO

When I bought my first GTO in 1974 it was a '68 GTO and it came with a real rubber trunk mat with a black & White hounds tooth pattern.

I am wondering why I cannot find a new rubber trunk mat. With all the GTOs and other Pontiac family A-Bodies and F-Bodies out there, you would think SOMEONE would reproduce the RUBBER trunk mat.

So, everyone needs to call the major parts houses that sell A-Body parts and ask them to find a supplier for real rubber hounds tooth trunk mats.

Rubber is just nicer than vinyl. If someone still makes them, please let me know.
Thank you

JimFB400HO 09-26-2019 07:45 PM

Have you looked at the NPD mats?

C-TMR-415AA Trunk Mat Rubber Aqua And Black Houndstooth 1-Piece
and
C-TMR-415AG Trunk Mat Rubber Gray And Black Houndstooth 1-Piece

dhutton 09-28-2019 09:29 AM

Great way to rust out your trunk floor trapping moisture. Trunk mats are a bad idea imho.

Don

bkmont 10-02-2019 08:38 PM

Have you tried these guys?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Pontia...AAAOxyW7tRh09b

Red Box Rebel 10-27-2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkmont (Post 6067845)

Thanks. I will check it out!

Red Box Rebel 10-27-2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhutton (Post 6066333)
Great way to rust out your trunk floor trapping moisture. Trunk mats are a bad idea imho.

Don

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. If you have water getting into your trunk, you have bigger problems than having a rubber trunk mat.

dhutton 10-28-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Box Rebel (Post 6076149)
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. If you have water getting into your trunk, you have bigger problems than having a rubber trunk mat.

I was referring to condensation. Constant cycles of heating and cooling will cause moisture to accumulate under the mat. It has nothing to do with leaks....

Don

unruhjonny 10-28-2019 12:31 PM

Many years ago, I found a nearly mint rubber trunk mat in a 1970 full sized (Canadian) Pontiac;
I bought it, and cut it to match the stencil of a 1973 Firebird trunk mat.
I recently threw most of it out because it had fallen apart... I kept a bigger chunk of it though to compare against my intended eventual replacement mat.

chuckies76ta 11-01-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Box Rebel (Post 6076149)

You really need to listen to Don. He's right about rubber mats causing rust on the trunk floor. The rubber doesn't breathe.

I've seen it first hand. Causes tiny rust pin holes. Whole trunk floor had to be replaced.

Red Box Rebel 11-01-2019 04:53 PM

Dry, no Olives and certainly not stirred or shaken!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckies76ta (Post 6077605)
You really need to listen to Don. He's right about rubber mats causing rust on the trunk floor. The rubber doesn't breathe.

I've seen it first hand. Causes tiny rust pin holes. Whole trunk floor had to be replaced.

I do not doubt that he is correct, but I like the rubber over the vinyl and can keep the trunk floor in rust free condition with the proper coatings. Where I live in Texas is a dry enough climate that we do not have the rust and humidity problems they have in Houston and the Eastern part of the USA.

1965gp 11-23-2019 12:02 AM

Your not BS’ing about the humidity in Houston. There are days I can go in the garage and the entire floor is wet. This is with an epoxy coating so I think the condensation just lays on top rather than soaking into the concrete

1965gp 11-24-2019 10:27 PM

I put the trunk at in my 72 Firebird that I bought from Ames and was surprised that it had a jute backing? I would think that would retain water and cause rust problems later on? Is that what was originally offered?

unruhjonny 11-25-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965gp (Post 6084586)
I put the trunk at in my 72 Firebird that I bought from Ames and was surprised that it had a jute backing? I would think that would retain water and cause rust problems later on? Is that what was originally offered?

wow!?

I thought that the trunk mats were the same through to 1972;

I have only two good points of reference;
1) three owner, single repaint only, but otherwise completely original 1971 Trans Am
2) a painfully original 1970 full sized Pontiac that I removed the trunk mat from

both were a thin but heavy, rubber mat with no backing.
The second example, I actually bought, and used a 1973 Firebird trunk mat as a pattern to re-cut an place in my car.

I know that by 1973 the trunk mat should have been a jute material, at least it was that way on Firebirds.
A couple years later the material changed again to a thinner rubber skin backed black "carpet" trunk mat (I always liked these ones).

1965gp 11-25-2019 10:30 PM

I mean it looks nice and honestly the only water the car will see is from washing so it should be fine. I was just surprised that was a factory option

Half-Inch Stud 09-10-2020 08:36 PM

A great product would be a houndstooth carpet, no rubber.

Firedup6975 09-10-2020 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhutton (Post 6066333)

Don

This happened to me. Moisture got in my tail lights, and started rusting my trunk floor. I caught it in time, and cleaned it up, and re sprayed with spatter paint. I no longer use the mat. I put a blanket on the trunk floor now for my chairs and cleaning tote that I can easily remove or it will absorb moisture and I can simply hang it out to dry and let the trunk air out.

gokitty 09-13-2020 02:10 PM

To combat the heat/cold condensation problem,I purchased an inexpensive (Big Lots,Walmart,etc) velour/soft blanket. Laid it under the the vinyl repop trunk mat and cut it to pattern after the vinyl mat. Water no longer is trapped...the blanket "breathes" and the blanket is not visible. I hang a water dessicant bag (Lowes,etc) from the trunk rod(s)to absorb water vapor and replace it when necessary. Result? Dry trunk. No rust.

lust4speed 11-17-2020 02:37 PM

The '65 Bonneville 2dr HT I purchased a few years ago was owned by a doctor and his wife in Sedona, AZ. Nice dry place and the car was rust free -- right up until I brought it home and lifted up the rubber floor mat. Trunk floor was pitted through and will need to be replaced. The rear window wasn't sealed and the weekly car washes allowed the water to drip down into the trunk and under the floor mat where it never dried out.

71 T/A 11-28-2020 03:30 PM

I've used carpeting in 2 cars and it never rusts.

OG68 11-28-2020 05:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to determine if my original 68 rubber mat is black and white or Aqua. I'm thinking Aqua but...
Late Fremont car with spare tire cutout.

Last photo is from early 80s