PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-72 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=436)
-   -   Top vent cable for kick panel (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833374)

Petegto 08-22-2019 09:25 PM

Top vent cable for kick panel

Where does the top cable connect to on a 72 Gto non air car kick panel? The cable has a Z end to it. I assume it will attach to the top air vents but don’t see a lever to hook up to. I have the bottom cable that has a round end hooked up that will open the vent door.
Thanks; a picture would help.

gto4evr 08-27-2019 10:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There's a round vent welded into the cowl. in that round hole is a flapper gate that has an arm sticking out of it and it clips into the hole. If you don't see the arm sticking out of the side of that round area by the vent, the flapper might be missing. Do you have the dash off or are you trying to see from underneath?

here's a pic of the right side installed and a pic with the dash off and the flapper valve removed from the cowl.

Petegto 08-28-2019 06:53 AM

Top vent cable

Thanks so much for your reply.
No my dash is already installed and trying to connect the cable from underneath the dash; what a pain trying to do.
Now that you sent me the picture I do see the lever hanging down but this must be fun to hook up trying to bend the cable and installing the kick panel at the same time but I’ll give it a shot.
Thanks again; the driver side must be more fun lol.
Peter

Petegto 09-10-2019 07:20 PM

Vent for kick panel

Sorry I got the pictures you sent but I can’t seem to hook up the Z hook on the lever you showed. Maybe I’m just stupid but it’s appears the cable is to short and this is a original cable that came off this car.
Do I try to hook up the cable first and then try in insert the kick panel or in reverse? I tried for awhile but can’t get it to reach; about a 1” short and bending the hell out of the cable.
Thank you

tjs72lemans 09-10-2019 08:25 PM

If it's like my 55 Chevy, you have to hook the cable to vent, install kick panel and fasten cable to dash.

gto4evr 09-11-2019 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petegto (Post 6060621)
Sorry I got the pictures you sent but I can’t seem to hook up the Z hook on the lever you showed. Maybe I’m just stupid but it’s appears the cable is to short and this is a original cable that came off this car.
Do I try to hook up the cable first and then try in insert the kick panel or in reverse? I tried for awhile but can’t get it to reach; about a 1” short and bending the hell out of the cable.
Thank you

it's been ages since I installed one but I'd say I had the clip on the cable where it went through the kick panel off so the cable could move around some (obviously loosen the screw on the hold down bracket first too so the cable can move through the first fold on the Z bend through the eye on the arm) also, make sure it's pushed in all the way and that the lever on the flap is pulled down to the open position to shorten the distance. are the cables in the correct positions? as in the lower one should run the lower vent and the upper one should run the upper vent. I seem to recall there's a molded flap on the back side of the kick panel that directs the cable upwards at a pretty sharp angle. Those things are brittle as hell so be careful with them. One easy way to save them once the plastic jacket cracks in a few places is to cover the entire section of broken plastic pieces with shrink tube to hold it all in place. I've saved a few cables that way. Once the pieces are completely broken and fall off the wire, you're screwed because the cable likes to bend there without support. if you look close at my first picture you can see that I did the shrink tube trick on that sleeve.

Best way is to have the entire kick panel loose, get the upper cable started, then pull it down and mount it.

Petegto 09-11-2019 09:38 AM

Thank you for all your help; I’ll try that today that cable must have to go in just right or it won’t connect properly. I spent back acking hours on this and scratched up the panel too.
Thanks again
Peter

Petegto 09-13-2019 06:24 PM

Top vent cable

Gto4evr need help again;
Sorry one more question I can’t get this to work; so do you remember if the longer cable with the round loop end goes on the bottom of the kick panel or lower opening and the Z end cable being shorter goes on the top opening that opens ands closes the dash vents. I can swear that the cowl cable was the longer one and was inserted in the top hole of the kick panel but I had this car all apart and can’t remember.
Thank yo sorry to bother you again.

gto4evr 09-15-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petegto (Post 6061761)
Gto4evr need help again;
Sorry one more question I can’t get this to work; so do you remember if the longer cable with the round loop end goes on the bottom of the kick panel or lower opening and the Z end cable being shorter goes on the top opening that opens ands closes the dash vents. I can swear that the cowl cable was the longer one and was inserted in the top hole of the kick panel but I had this car all apart and can’t remember.
Thank yo sorry to bother you again.

pete, yes, the round loop one controls the lower door, slides over that post and should be located in the bottom position of the two cables, the Z end cable goes up to the upper door flapper and should be located in the upper of the two positions on the kick panel. I'm thinking from memory it was a real pain in the ass to get connected with the dash in place. might help if you take the glove box liner out so you can get your arm in there from a different angle. Try taking the clip off that holds the cable into the kick panel so the cable can flex up at an angle to get the Z end started in the lever, (with the kick panel still loose) then after you've got it started try to pull the cable body back in and get that clip snapped back on to hold in before then mounting the kick panel. The lower loop end cable is easy to attach after the fact with that grille out.

Dennis

unruhjonny 09-15-2019 10:13 AM

from what I recall on pretty much all GM vehicles I have taken apart - the panel that the cable attaches to needs to be off in order to get appropriate slack to connect to the upper vent;
I believe the cable length is such that it prohibits the ability to connect/disconnect the upper vent flap with the panel installed.

Petegto 09-15-2019 02:18 PM

Top vent cable

Dennis thank you I got it finally on the passenger side now for more fun on the driver side. I know this is much harder but I’ll get it now.
Thanks again
Peter

Petegto 09-15-2019 02:22 PM

Top vent cable

Ultimate Warrior thank you for your response I got it now.
Thanks
Peter

gto4evr 09-17-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petegto (Post 6062230)
Dennis thank you I got it finally on the passenger side now for more fun on the driver side. I know this is much harder but I’ll get it now.
Thanks again
Peter

Peter, no problem. the left side will be tougher, you'll have to take the parking brake pedal off the firewall to get the kick panel cover off and those two nuts are a pain to get at with a fender in the way, more so if you've got a power brake booster in the way too. Don't forget the little hold down clip pulling the cable to the side of the cowl, it holds the cable tight there to prevent flexing and cracking the outer shell.

'ol Pinion head 09-17-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gto4evr (Post 6062860)
Peter, no problem. the left side will be tougher, you'll have to take the parking brake pedal off the firewall to get the kick panel cover off and those two nuts are a pain to get at with a fender in the way, more so if you've got a power brake booster in the way too. Don't forget the little hold down clip pulling the cable to the side of the cowl, it holds the cable tight there to prevent flexing and cracking the outer shell.

Having been up North in the winter pulling nice unfaded uncratched colored interior plastic, have had fits on more than one occasion removing those parking brake bracket nuts. At some assembly plants, the Fisher Body guys managed to get dumdum or bodyshutz all over those two nuts. TONS of FUN when it's below zero.