PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Timing (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838090)

chuckies76ta 02-17-2020 01:36 PM

Timing

Hi: Looking for opinion on those of you who lock out your mechanical timing and use a crank trigger.

After locking out the timing on the distributor at lets say 34 deg, I can use an MSD 8987 which will retard the timing for starting.

What I would like is a box that's comes programmed or that I can program for a timing curve for street use. Then I wouldn't need the 8987 for starting.

Is there such an device available?

Thanks
Charles

cgeise 02-17-2020 06:38 PM

usually when you retard the timing to start -- ya knock the damn teeth off the flexplate

Gary H 02-17-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgeise (Post 6111738)
usually when you retard the timing to start -- ya knock the damn teeth off the flexplate

That's not been my experience. It's made my car FAR more easier to start versus the locked in timing. Just one man's experience though,

cgeise 02-17-2020 07:59 PM

yea my son and I both experienced this -- 15 to 1 so we don't do it anymore

Mike Davis 02-17-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

I had that problem only at 12:1. Never had a problem with flex plates until I put a Digital 6 plus in the car and did the start retard. After 2 flex plates in 4 months I went back to just straight locked at 36 degrees. Get the engine spinning and hit the ign switch.

OCMDGTO 02-17-2020 08:13 PM

I'm always locked out at 37* & no issues starting

Scott Stoneburg 02-17-2020 10:17 PM

I have been knocking 20* out with a start regard for 10 to 12 years. Never knocked any teeth off the starter. Street car so it get hot starts on a regular basis. Timing is locked at 34*

slowbird 02-17-2020 11:04 PM

Just another options, i run around 16:1 compression and don't use a start retard. I have the starter on a push button and ign on a switch. I just get it turning over, then flip the ign on and she fires right up. Been doing that for 10yrs now without issues.

Jack Gifford 02-18-2020 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckies76ta (Post 6111617)
... those of you who lock out your mechanical timing and use a crank trigger...
... What I would like is a box that's comes programmed or that I can program for a timing curve for street use...
... Is there such an device available?...

Not for the same reasons as you (long story) but yes, I'm using the Crane TCU (timing control unit) with a crank trigger on the Pontiac in my GMC. The TCU isn't terribly expensive ($150?), is compact, and works well. It's quick and easy to set up an advance curve, and offers a couple of different choices for amount of vacuum advance.
I have it mounted inside the cab- it's a pleasure to tweak the advance curve without opening the hood!

chuckies76ta 02-18-2020 10:12 AM

Thanks guys. Jack, I will have to read up on that unit.

Ok, So I have found a MSD 6AL-2 that's programmable. #6530. From what I understand you can program (via computer to controller) a Run Retard Curve. So you lock timing out at lets say 34 deg then retard the timing to say 18 deg for start and run or idle, and it starts advancing the timing according to rpm back to your locked out timing.

You kinda have to think backwards. Your Total is locked at 34deg and the controller retards timing according to rpm or where ever you plot on graph. You eliminate you mechanical advance and use the 6530 box to control timing. You can use different trigger devices. Ex: Crank trigger, ECU, Points, Magnetic pickup, Hall Effect.

Anyone out there using one?

Thanks
Charles

chuckies76ta 02-18-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

That seems weird. I don't understand why that would happen if your retarding timing for starting. Maybe has to do with controller? Can you explain.

Thanks

Speargun 02-18-2020 11:32 AM

I ran the MSD 6 Digital. It can be set for start retard, program timing curve, N2O retard, and other stuff. The software is pretty intuitive and easy to set, but it can only be adjusted with a laptop. You can download the app from MSD & play around with it to see what it can do.

steve25 02-18-2020 01:15 PM

To achieve the highest HP numbers does anyone here with a Ign box that can do such, set it up to retard the timing once the motor reaches peak torque?

Jack Ferris 02-18-2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve25 (Post 6112010)
To achieve the highest HP numbers does anyone here with a Ign box that can do such, set it up to retard the timing once the motor reaches peak torque?

My 88 Camaro is set up that way. Its set up a bit old school with a switch on the shifter that activates a high speed retard rpm selector in high gear.

chuckies76ta 02-18-2020 07:11 PM

So according to this box it has a Launch Activate, a Burnout Activate, and a Retard Activate. Also can attach a MAP sensor.

Charles

firechickenman 02-18-2020 11:49 PM

I have the MSD 6530. It's a nice little ignition controller. You can set 3 different RPM limits - one for burnout, launch and top end. You can set the timing curve by RPM. A MAP sensor will plug right in and you can also use that to control timing by boost. You can have it pull timing at launch or for nitrous.. If you haven't looked through the instructions yet, here they are: https://static.summitracing.com/glob...s/MSD-6530.pdf

chuckies76ta 02-19-2020 08:29 AM

Thanks for the info. I already downloaded the instructions. Looks like a nice controller. I'm basically just gonna use it for the timing curve as I'm gonna run a Crank trigger.

Thanks
Charles