PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   93-02 Wheels/Tires (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   Best Tires For Your 4th Gen Firebird? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704535)

Bugster455 07-25-2012 12:07 PM

Best Tires For Your 4th Gen Firebird?

What's been some of your experiences with different tire brands and your recommendations?

quicksilver97ta 07-25-2012 02:57 PM

I run Nitto 555's up front and they have been an excellent tire, traction, wear, noise, and shelf life, all appropriate for a front tire. Out back I'm running MT drag radials and they are excellect for traction when brand new however their shelf life is not so great. They will dry out and crack much faster than the nitto's. Nitto also makes a drag radial and I had a set prior to the MT's , not as sticky as the MT's but better shelf life.

Cammer-6 08-26-2012 06:26 PM

I like the BFG KDWS G force

Bugster455 08-26-2012 07:00 PM

My buddy owns a Goodyear Tire Business but he can get most any brand. I ended up going with Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500s. The Wife liked the tread pattern better than most other brands. They worked fine on the trip to and from The TA Nats this weekend so we'll see over the long run how they perform. Thanks for the input!

Captainofiron 08-27-2012 02:55 PM

Right now I am running Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Im pretty happy with them.
Back when I would race it I used the BFG Comp T/As but I dont think you can get those anymore

I didnt have good luck with the KDWS g-forces, not sticky at all

Cammer-6 08-27-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainofiron (Post 4717150)
Right now I am running Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Im pretty happy with them.
Back when I would race it I used the BFG Comp T/As but I dont think you can get those anymore

I didnt have good luck with the KDWS g-forces, not sticky at all

KD are for dry
KDW are wet
KDWS includes snow
but it also has the best wet weather which is what we need in Fla where it rains so much.
4 th gens tend to skate out from under you in wet weather so I need all the help I can get.

Captainofiron 08-28-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cammer-6 (Post 4717516)
KD are for dry
KDW are wet
KDWS includes snow
but it also has the best wet weather which is what we need in Fla where it rains so much.
4 th gens tend to skate out from under you in wet weather so I need all the help I can get.

Yea I understood what the nomenclature denoted and that is why I bought them, but they werent very good for me, they didnt last, and I had lots of problems with them, I had 2 that had to be warrantied because I got balls in the sidewalls

it snows here during the winter and rains in the afternoons during the "monsoon" season so I needed the WS part.

I have had much better luck with the Continentals, plus they are alot stickier in the dry than the BFGs and they are also rated for Snow and wet

mrrat1 09-07-2012 02:12 PM

Try the tirerack site........lots of info & comparisons to look at! Just punch in your size and check reviews & stats! Pick what suits your style and climate.
I've had many different brands on most of my cars and all have different characteristics that benefited each car. I've used summer only tires that wore out in 3 seasons, all weathers that lasted 5+ years.

Cammer-6 09-08-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainofiron (Post 4717875)
Yea I understood what the nomenclature denoted and that is why I bought them, but they werent very good for me, they didnt last, and I had lots of problems with them, I had 2 that had to be warrantied because I got balls in the sidewalls

it snows here during the winter and rains in the afternoons during the "monsoon" season so I needed the WS part.

I have had much better luck with the Continentals, plus they are alot stickier in the dry than the BFGs and they are also rated for Snow and wet

keep in mind that the stickier the tire the quicker it will wear out.

lugnutt 03-18-2014 09:35 PM

Tires

1 Attachment(s)
I have nitto drag radials. Everything I go thru gravel I hear it on the inner fenders. I have 315s on the rear, and the profile is too short. I don't like the gap between the tire and fender! I'd like a taller tire.

judgeman6970 03-20-2014 04:18 PM

285/40/17 Nitto 555's all around....