PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   G8 Interior Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=510)
-   -   Unintended Ignition Key Rotation Recall (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830480)

1969GiPper 06-14-2019 08:46 AM

Unintended Ignition Key Rotation Recall

Have any of you G8 owners had the Unintended Key Rotation Recall done on you G8? If yes what does the repair consist of and what does the key/fob look like when you got it back? I’ve been getting reminder notices from GM to bring my G8 into a dealer to get the recall done. However based on what I’m reading it sounds like the dealer will be taking the “flip” key feature away and just giving me a “fixed” key back. Is that correct? What about the “rigid” non-flip spare key/fob that came with the car when new?

1969GiPper 11-11-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1969GiPper (Post 6032551)
Have any of you G8 owners had the Unintended Key Rotation Recall done on you G8? If yes what does the repair consist of and what does the key/fob look like when you got it back? I’ve been getting reminder notices from GM to bring my G8 into a dealer to get the recall done. However based on what I’m reading it sounds like the dealer will be taking the “flip” key feature away and just giving me a “fixed” key back. Is that correct? What about the “rigid” non-flip spare key/fob that came with the car when new?

Still looking for feedback on what the ignition key recall repair consists of.

Dick Boneske 11-11-2019 05:42 PM

A friend who got the same notice on his '09 told me the replacement key fob is a non-folding one. He has no idea why GM recalled the original fobs.

1969GiPper 11-12-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Boneske (Post 6080596)
A friend who got the same notice on his '09 told me the replacement key fob is a non-folding one. He has no idea why GM recalled the original fobs.

Something about in an accident a driver’s right knee under certain conditions hitting the key fob and turning off the ignition causing air bags not to deploy. Heard you get your original key fob back but the flip key feature has been removed. Instead they give you a regular type key that doesn’t stick out of the lock as far. Harder for your knee to hit.

camerjeff 12-28-2019 09:18 AM

Sorry late to this thread, but we had the recall done over 1 year ago, I was told they replace the key cylinder, and replace the folding keys with a non folding type. They also program the new keys to work with your car.
I would post a picture of the new keys, but I am away from home for work until the 30th. If I remember I will post a couple of pictures when I return.

Pepper Judge 12-28-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camerjeff (Post 6094933)
Sorry late to this thread, but we had the recall done over 1 year ago, I was told they replace the key cylinder, and replace the folding keys with a non folding type. They also program the new keys to work with your car.
I would post a picture of the new keys, but I am away from home for work until the 30th. If I remember I will post a couple of pictures when I return.

Interesting; no recall notice received in Canada. I will have to follow up with the dealer. Recently replaced a fob too.

Did the dealer replace all fobs?

Thanks.

camerjeff 01-02-2020 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the Picture of the Post recall key fobs. And yes they replaced both of our original fobs.