PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   77-81 Firebird & Trans Am TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=441)
-   -   How to set clock and presets on '79 8 Track Stereo (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400503)

Torre 03-19-2004 09:48 AM

Sorry for the stupid question but I just purchased another '79 TA and it has a working 8 track stereo. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to set the clock or the station presets.

HELP.

Torre 03-19-2004 09:48 AM

Sorry for the stupid question but I just purchased another '79 TA and it has a working 8 track stereo. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to set the clock or the station presets.

HELP.

TURBO80T/A ROB 03-20-2004 02:54 PM

it should be in you manual. If you don't have one someone should be able to look it up for you

Torre 03-22-2004 08:10 AM

Wow, thanks.

Anyone else?

Brian Baker 03-22-2004 08:57 PM

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, clock and station presets? As in digital? I wasn't aware a digital stereo was available in 1979.

Clock on a 1979 was in the dash, next to the tach.

FrequentFlyer79 03-23-2004 12:47 AM

Jumping the gun from your description that you are talking about a Delco digital stereo...The 79 owner's manual does show a picture of a digital display stereo. While most of the other stereos have instructions listed, for the digital one it states "Other Radio Options: If your car is equipped with a GM Delco Citizen's Band radio, or a radio-clock featuring digital display, please refer to the separate booklets supplied with those units."

If this is a Delco unit do you need the owners manual radio pages/pictures? Some pictures and info may transfer over.

Kristin
(btw I'm new here; have had my daily driver & only car 79 S/E for 14 years, and yes, there's PY parts on it)

[This message was edited by FrequentFlyer79 on March 23, 2004 at 12:17 AM.]

Torre 03-23-2004 06:41 AM

Thanks for the replies.
My car is the 10th Anniversary model with the factory 8 Track-AM/FM Stereo. It is digital with digital tuning and station presets. It also has a digital clock.

The clock works but the time is wrong. The stations are already preset to crappy stations.

All I want to do is adjust the clock and save my favorite stations. I have tried the easy stuff (hold down the button, hold one button while pressing another, etc.) but I just can't figure it out.

Dens71TA 03-23-2004 10:33 AM

On my '84 Delco radio I press the Set button and then the Hour and Minute(Seek and Scan on some Delcos) buttons.

FrequentFlyer79 03-23-2004 12:31 PM

The manual says "although a wide variety of features is offered, the following basic controls are common to all systems"...and goes on to list setting presets as follows:..1) manually tune to the desired stations 2) choose the button you wish to use. Pull it straight out, then push it back firmly until it stops 3) do this for each of the five buttons.

Hope that will help with the stations.

Brian Baker 03-23-2004 02:43 PM

LEarn something new every day. I had no idea Delco had a digital stereo in 1979.

mrpontiac80 03-23-2004 08:06 PM

Hi,

I also have the digital stereo in my 80. Its very simple. To set the hour you pull out on the scan button. To set the min. you pull out the seek button. To set the radio stations you pull out the button you want to preset while on the station. Hope this helps!

mrpontiac80 03-23-2004 08:12 PM

Brian Baker,,, Here is apic of the digital. I also assume that Torre's stereo looks like this only with red digital readouts...

mrpontiac80 03-23-2004 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brian Baker, here is a pic of my digital stereo. I assume Torre's is similar only with the red digital face...

Brian Baker 03-23-2004 09:14 PM

Thank you for sharing that. My 79 had the AM/FM cassette (which I still have, just not in the car), but it was "analog".

Torre 03-24-2004 06:47 AM

Michael and everybody, that was it!
You pull out the buttons. It worked very easily.

Man, I would have never thought of that in a 100 years.

Thanks a ton!

FunHuman 03-16-2024 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpontiac80 (Post 1854136)
Hi,

I also have the digital stereo in my 80. Its very simple. To set the hour you pull out on the scan button. To set the min. you pull out the seek button. To set the radio stations you pull out the button you want to preset while on the station. Hope this helps!

Did you ever think 20 years ago almost to the day you would have answered somebody's question sitting in a parking lot in their 79 Trans Am that they just bought. Trying to figure out how to set the clock. Thanks from the future.

P@blo 03-17-2024 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunHuman (Post 6492357)
Did you ever think 20 years ago almost to the day you would have answered somebody's question sitting in a parking lot in their 79 Trans Am that they just bought. Trying to figure out how to set the clock. Thanks from the future.

Cool story, thanks for updating. :D

Warren Seale 03-21-2024 01:31 PM

The digital 8 track tape player was available in 79 only in the TATA. They all came with it. It was one of the earliest applications for that model. It became a common offering across many GM car lines during the first half of the 80s. The cassette version was also available during that time.

68ragtop 03-24-2024 07:49 AM

I enjoy reading these older threads & I am not sure if I saw this one back in 2004 or not? But makes me wonder how much trouble it was for Delco to make the radios this way for memory. The old school mechanical radios like the one in my 68 to 78 have to have the button pulled out & then pushed in to mechanically memorize its position. Delco went through a bit of extra work on these early digitals so everyone would know how to store favorites, without having to look in a manual on how to do it. Then everyone moves forward & this attribute is lost over time & a head scratcher as to why they did it that way at all.

Kind of like ignition switches being on the steering column. Was moved there from the dashes to lock the steering as an anti-theft idea. In later years the cars that have mechanical stye ignition switches. locks were replaced with ignition kills, locking modules, etc. But the keys remained on the column because thats what everyone was used to. Thats finally starting to fade away to E-start buttons on the dash, but its still lingering with mechanical style switches in many models.

Kinda fun to think about.