PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Body Shop TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Tack rag on base coat? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841603)

tjs72lemans 06-17-2020 09:00 PM

Tack rag on base coat?

For the painters here. Do you guys use tack rags after spraying base to get the overspray dust off or go ahead and spray clear without touching? I remember using a tack rag on a paint job and causing light scratches.

n20ta2 06-17-2020 09:38 PM

I dont touch it at all, unless your having an issue with dry spray there should be no need in my experience.

400 4spd. 06-17-2020 10:24 PM

I'm one who tacks between coats on an all over or a blend. Just be sure you allow plenty of time for each coat to dry and use a low tack style over base. I use the Specialty brand (PPG) blue rags. Not too gummy and don't streak.
YMMV.

Murf 06-18-2020 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 400 4spd. (Post 6151781)
I'm one who tacks between coats on an all over or a blend. Just be sure you allow plenty of time for each coat to dry and use a low tack style over base. I use the Specialty brand (PPG) blue rags. Not too gummy and don't streak.
YMMV.

Hey 4004spd, I tried it once on metallic base & it felt like it was catching on the metallic particles. Would you have any suggestions?

1. I am an inexperienced painter.

2. I was using the standard old style tack rag.

Your help would be welcome.

Thanks
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PurelyGTO68 06-18-2020 03:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjs72lemans (Post 6151746)
For the painters here. Do you guys use tack rags after spraying base to get the overspray dust off or go ahead and spray clear without touching? I remember using a tack rag on a paint job and causing light scratches.

I inspect and then clear without touching. My thought process is that any potential light layer of overspray will reactivate and flow out nicely. Seems to work okay for me.

tjs72lemans 06-18-2020 09:36 PM

Thanks. I have done it both ways. Not sure if one way was better. My thought was overspray or dust doesn't stick, so does the clear have a hard time bonding as well. Then, I have noticed fine scratches from the tan tack cloth. I felt this was causing more problems than it was worth.

PurelyGTO68 06-19-2020 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjs72lemans (Post 6152095)
Thanks. I have done it both ways. Not sure if one way was better. My thought was overspray or dust doesn't stick, so does the clear have a hard time bonding as well. Then, I have noticed fine scratches from the tan tack cloth. I felt this was causing more problems than it was worth.

I am not sure which way is best either. Usually the more I touch something the more I risk screwing something up so less is more in my case. :)

MUSLCAH 06-26-2020 11:37 PM

Yup....like 400 spd....I tack off in between coats..and use the not so sticky Gerson Basecoat tack rags. If you can tack it...you can whack it.