PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-72 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=436)
-   -   1972 GTO 1 of 10 455HO Post Coupe (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607693)

gto4door 08-13-2009 07:58 PM

1972 GTO 1 of 10 455HO Post Coupe

5 Attachment(s)
Some members here probably remember back in October 2007 Lloyd-TX started a thread titled “Stirrin’ the pot”. For some of the new members here they will probably enjoy learning about this car and looking at the pics. No need to go back and find or read that thread as it is posted below. It took awhile (close to 2 years), but last month I kept my promise (Lloyd bailed out) and finally made the 3-1/2 hour journey to the piney woods of East Texas to visit Billy and Janet, the owners of an 80+ car collection that was started in the mid-seventies.

The purpose of the trip was to verify whether or not one of their cars is 1 of the 10 rare GTO 455HO Post Coupes built in 1972 and help assess the value of the car. Throughout the 28 years Billy and Janet have owned this car, numerous people have stopped by their place of business to inquire about buying that “old Pontiac”, claiming it is a Lemans and only offering to give $500 bucks for the car. From what I heard, a prominent Dallas area GTO collector/appraiser once came out and told Billy the car was not a real GTO.

I can certainly understand why the car is misunderstood, as ’72 is a very confusing year since the GTO reverted back to an option on the Lemans hardtop and post body styles. And to further muddy the waters in ‘72, you could order the Endura option on any Lemans (except the Luxury Lemans) giving you the appearance of a GTO.

After seeing this car in person, I can say with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY, this is 1 of the 7 automatic “x code” GTO 455HO post coupes built in 1972 (it also helps having the PHS). Not only is this GTO a rare post model, it is somewhat of a factory freak as it is a bench seat car, ram air optioned and was ordered with the wire wheel covers (the car must had been a sight to see when new). Other than the drive train being out of the car and apart, this GTO is not too molested and pretty solid (except rear window area under vinyl top). Car has a good history and comes with extensive paper work. Attached are some pics I took of the car. Enjoy.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=538932

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=557075&page=3

gto4door 08-13-2009 08:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some more pics……dig the patina ram air hood pan, PMD wire hubcaps sitting on front floor board. That is the original all morrokide bench interior. The Lemans emblem on door panel is a factory goof, as these should have GTO emblems.

Inagaddadavida_loca 08-13-2009 08:13 PM

Very cool!

I know a certain yellow Canadian one that I'd love to get my hands on...

gto4door 08-13-2009 08:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Notice in this pic that post cars do not have rear arm rest.

This car, the '72 GTO Post HO raced in the seventies by Sonny Rae and Terry Pope's '72 HO Post Coupe that was featured in HPP magazine are the only '72 Post 455HO GTO's that I have ever come across. Chime in if you know of any other '72 GTO 455HO Post Coupes out there.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...gto/index.html

gto4door 08-13-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inagaddadavida_loca (Post 3735750)
Very cool!

I know a certain yellow Canadian one that I'd love to get my hands on...

A Canadian built '72 post GTO?.....that has got to be rare! Any pics available of that car?

mike nixon 08-13-2009 09:42 PM

I like that car, low key. I'd repair the rust and drive it as is.

MIke

marxjunk 08-13-2009 10:28 PM

I saw a triple black 4 spd POST GTO 4 spd car in the late 80s at the car craft nationals at st louis international raceway...real x code, i looked

PB 08-13-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gto4door (Post 3735743)
Some more pics……dig the patina ram air hood pan, PMD wire hubcaps sitting on front floor board. That is the original all morrokide bench interior. The Lemans emblem on door panel is a factory goof, as these should have GTO emblems.

Remember that Juniper Green HO car I took pics of at Wagner's? I think it had Lemans door emblems too. I'll have to hunt those pics up and see..

68gtoMN 08-13-2009 11:54 PM

Really, Mr. Pat? Hunt away and POST them already. :D

PB 08-14-2009 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68gtoMN (Post 3735963)
Really, Mr. Pat? Hunt away and POST them already. :D

I just checked...must not have got that shot, but I do recall seeing them in that car. Strange factory happenings.

2002Z4CSS 08-14-2009 07:37 AM

Interesting car for sure. :)

johnmilza 08-14-2009 10:16 AM

So what are the owners going to do with it? Did they want verification as to what it is so they can sell it (they missed the peak in the market now that the economy is tanking) or are they going to restore it? If it was mine, I'd get it running and drive it as is. Sweet rare car.

OVERULD 08-14-2009 11:15 AM

Very neat car - thanks for the research and for posting. Question: I saw the window crank for the rear window - did they crank all way down same as on the Hardtops?

Love to see a photo of one with the windows all down and the vent windows cranked open.

BJ

The Boss 08-14-2009 11:32 AM

Does it have the Lemans door panel because of the vent window crank? Looks like the pull strap on the GTO panel would hit right about there.

How early of a built car was it? If it was one of the first ones down the line I can see a mistake like that happening.

gloryrestoparts 08-14-2009 11:33 AM

niiice

Quote:

Originally Posted by gto4door (Post 3735759)
Notice in this pic that post cars do not have rear arm rest.

yep. and the rear seat is wider too, since there are no armrests.

The Boss 08-14-2009 11:48 AM

By the EUN on the engine block I would put that block cast in early September some time - so was it a late September/early October built car?

Inagaddadavida_loca 08-14-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gto4door (Post 3735763)
A Canadian built '72 post GTO?.....that has got to be rare! Any pics available of that car?

I don't know where it was built, but it's owned by a Canadian on this board.

The Boss 08-14-2009 02:11 PM

Probably built at the Pontiac plant - I think most of them were.

gto4door 08-14-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmilza (Post 3736207)
So what are the owners going to do with it? Did they want verification as to what it is so they can sell it (they missed the peak in the market now that the economy is tanking) or are they going to restore it? If it was mine, I'd get it running and drive it as is. Sweet rare car.

The owners would like to sell the car. They are primarily into Chevrolets and would like to pair down the number of cars they own to a manageable level. Billy's original intent was to fix the car and get it back on the road, but time just passed him by and the car had sat in its current state for over 25 years.

Sometime in the early nineties Billy had ordered a part from the Purely PMD guys and they had told him "if it was the real deal, his car was a very rare GTO". Billy didn't think much of it then. But a few years ago when HPP featured Terry Pope's GTO on the front cover that had sparked Billy curiousity in the car again. Billy wants to sell, but wants to make sure the car goes to a good home and receives the restoration it deserves as well as getting a fair price for the car.

gto4door 08-14-2009 04:14 PM

This car was built at the Pontiac Plant last week of November of 1971. The car shipped out in December. It sat around on the original dealer lot for a long time and then was traded out to another Pontiac dealer in Shrevport, Louisiana. It was there the car finally sold to its new owner in late September of 1972.