PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   EFI Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=570)
-   -   EFI on '67 GTO 400ci (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872802)

RS16017 03-26-2024 10:56 AM

EFI on '67 GTO 400ci

Looking at an edelbrock Go Pro 4 system for my wife's '67 GTO. Her car is running a slightly modified 400 Pontiac. I want something dependable that she can drive without issues. Is this a good choice?

65madgoat 03-26-2024 12:10 PM

If you are in to replacing the intake and distributor, then sure. Decent deal for their kit.

But a lot simpler to just add a fitech on the car. I prefer Fitech over Holley efi kits as all fitech replacement parts are just GM/VW etc parts that can be sourced at any parts store. The Holley units have proprietary parts on their throttle body.

Then you need a new fuel delivery system too. But for a driver, well worth the investment going EFI.

JLMounce 03-26-2024 12:16 PM

Don Johnston at DCI swears by the Go Pro 4 system and uses it in many of his builds.

The ECU is a nice piece and the system uses quality OE grade harness connectors etc. Considering you get an intake manifold and distributor along with the system, the price point is really decent.

I have run a FiTech 30001 system for over 10 years. It's been incredibly dependable. In that time the only thing I've had to replace relating to the system was the main harness connector. The very early units underestimated the fuel pump amp draw and had an undersized connector and fuel pump wiring. I replaced the connector with a GM weatherpack connector. That cost $40.00 and took an hour of my time to replace. Otherwise the system has functioned flawlessly for 10 years and about 30,000 miles.

Most of these entry level EFI systems all have the capability to work well and last a long time. The installation and the fuel system is vitally important for that though. You should plan on completely redoing the fuel system from the tank forward. You want an EFI ready fuel tank with an internal sump, a quality fuel pump in that tank and I still prefer to run a supply and return line from the tank to the engine and back. Stay away from frame mount in-line pump systems or those reservoir systems you add to your factory fuel system. The tank and in-tank pump will initially cost a little more, but you'll thank yourself when you don't have to mess with inadequate fuel.

You should also take care of any electrical issues the car may have before installing an EFI system. If you have any charging issues, electronics that are non-functional, corroded wiring etc., all of that needs to be taken care of first. Adding EFI to a car with poor electrical will cause more headaches than it's worth.

Then make sure the exhaust is in good shape with no leaks. This is another critical item to success with EFI. Exhaust leaks prior to the oxygen sensor or within about 18" behind the sensor will create a poor running system.

If you've got a good foundation to start with and don't cut corners on the install, I think going with a Pro Flow 4, Sniper, FiTech, FAST etc are all going to do what you want them to do.

pont3 03-26-2024 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLMounce (Post 6494514)
Don Johnston at DCI swears by the Go Pro 4 system and uses it in many of his builds.

The ECU is a nice piece and the system uses quality OE grade harness connectors etc. Considering you get an intake manifold and distributor along with the system, the price point is really decent.

I have run a FiTech 30001 system for over 10 years. It's been incredibly dependable. In that time the only thing I've had to replace relating to the system was the main harness connector. The very early units underestimated the fuel pump amp draw and had an undersized connector and fuel pump wiring. I replaced the connector with a GM weatherpack connector. That cost $40.00 and took an hour of my time to replace. Otherwise the system has functioned flawlessly for 10 years and about 30,000 miles.

Most of these entry level EFI systems all have the capability to work well and last a long time. The installation and the fuel system is vitally important for that though. You should plan on completely redoing the fuel system from the tank forward. You want an EFI ready fuel tank with an internal sump, a quality fuel pump in that tank and I still prefer to run a supply and return line from the tank to the engine and back. Stay away from frame mount in-line pump systems or those reservoir systems you add to your factory fuel system. The tank and in-tank pump will initially cost a little more, but you'll thank yourself when you don't have to mess with inadequate fuel.

You should also take care of any electrical issues the car may have before installing an EFI system. If you have any charging issues, electronics that are non-functional, corroded wiring etc., all of that needs to be taken care of first. Adding EFI to a car with poor electrical will cause more headaches than it's worth.

Then make sure the exhaust is in good shape with no leaks. This is another critical item to success with EFI. Exhaust leaks prior to the oxygen sensor or within about 18" behind the sensor will create a poor running system.

If you've got a good foundation to start with and don't cut corners on the install, I think going with a Pro Flow 4, Sniper, FiTech, FAST etc are all going to do what you want them to do.

As always, a knowledgeable, informed, understandable, objective response. This post will effectively eliminate ninety percent of the headaches for novices if they take heed. Thank you! I always appreciate your "no nonsense" approaches whether it be suspension, driveability, braking, handling........you know your ****.

Formulajones 03-27-2024 09:19 AM

The Edelbrock setup is tune limited to just really basic stuff so as long as you're ok with that and the engine is a mild build it'll work fine.

As far as the sniper stuff goes from Holley I'm not sure where the rumor started about proprietary parts but that's not the case. They use the same IAT, TPS stuff that gm and Chrysler uses. I can go to any parts store and buy what ever I may need.
In fact the Holley site even provides the replacement part numbers so no reason to base your choices on that.

Red Box Rebel 06-02-2024 04:40 PM

Been running the Edelbrock ProFlo4 for more than two years and it is an excellent system. I would go with an in-tank fuel pump since it makes the process and plumbing much easier.

62posbonny 06-02-2024 05:57 PM

I have to agree that the Pro Flo 4 system functions very well. I have had mine on for 2 years and it has been great. On a higher performance engine than I have, perhaps additional tuning capabilities would squeeze out the last 10-20hp, but i am happy to trade that for the simplicity this system offers.

gassman_67 06-30-2024 04:26 PM

I use a PF4 on my Kaufman 461, 552 HP, runs great!!!

HWYSTR455 07-01-2024 06:17 AM

Pretty sure Edelbrock uses Motec to package their' ECUs, top-notch. I can't say anything about the limitations or specifics but know many have been happy with them.

The Holley Sniper2 addressed some EMI/RFI issues, and a few other items. It's about the best entry level TBi 'replacement' EFI system. I can't think of any reason to use something different for an entry level/mild system for a conversion.

Formulajones 07-03-2024 08:24 AM

Just to explain the pro flo being tune limited a little further so as not to confuse anyone.

When I say that I mean the basic stuff can be tuned, stuff that gets the car up and running, idling etc... But if you need to get more involved with the tune on engines that are more rambunctious and need more attention you are locked out of some of the more finite things. You have to send the computer back to Edelbrock or possibly via remote tuning and they can make those changes for you but lets be honest, that just becomes a pain in the a$$.

Friend of mine had this very issue on his 68 bird and I don't recall what part of the tune he couldn't access but he had to deal with Edelbrock on it a couple of times and it still wasn't right so the system came off and he switched to a Holley setup.

But like I said, most guys switching over to EFI aren't very tune savvy and don't care, on top of that they have basic mild engine builds that don't require a lot of fancy tune tricks so a bolt on system with a basic canned tune will work for their purposes most of the time. Those are the success stories we hear about.

krisr 07-04-2024 12:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sniper2. As long as you're not really clumsy with the wiring and running it over the plug leads etc, it'll start and run out of the box once you tell the ECU what the motor is. Mine has been flawless and it looks factory.

HWYSTR455 07-04-2024 07:37 AM

The guys that have dizzies at the front of engine were the ones that had a lot of EMI/RFI issues, but Holley added shielding to the Sniper2 to correct that.

They listened to the community and for the most part was addressed well with the updated Sniper2, just took a while, probably due to the bean-counters and manufacturing changes.

Once everything is hammered out sure the product lines/offerings will be reduced, which will ease 'consumer confusion' and help with costs too.

Formulajones 07-04-2024 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 (Post 6512777)
The guys that have dizzies at the front of engine were the ones that had a lot of EMI/RFI issues, .

Yeah you're right, and I always found that interesting why the distributor in the front affected the sniper more than a distributor in the back. I mean the computer is mounted on the side of the unit which ends up being in the middle of the engine anyway, and all the wiring comes out of the rear of the unit.

Shucks on both of our snipers (the first generation of sniper) (chevrolet and Pontiac) I ran all the wiring that comes out of the rear of the unit right past the MSD distributor and coil on both cars in order to get it to the firewall and out of sight as quick as possible. You'd think that would cause all kinds of EMI/RFI but I get none on either car. One even had a 20 year old set of taylor plug wires up until recently and it worked fine.

Lee 07-05-2024 10:57 AM

David Page was the head of FAST, before the merger with Edelbrock. I took the FAST 2-day installer course several years ago, and Mr. Page was the instructor.

After the merger, he was promoted to head the supercharger program at Edelbrock. Awhile back I asked him about the ProFlo4 in comparison to the FAST EZ 2.0. He mentions that the learning algorithm is different between the two systems, but overall he was impressed with the PF4 systems.

I know a local guy who has ran the PF4 on his Pontiac for quite a few years now, and is very happy with it.

I have the FAST XFI Sportsman (same throttle body as the EZ 2.0) on my own 455, and it has worked great. You can self tune it if you wish, and you can also tune the self-tuning parameters if desired.

Whatever system you use, spend the few hundred extra bucks and get the matching distributor. These systems work much better with a matching ignition system.