PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   61-66 Big Pontiac TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=428)
-   -   1962 dash wiring question - ground (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842864)

webfoot 07-30-2020 05:10 PM

1962 dash wiring question - ground

I pretty much have my entire fuse block reinstalled. (I had it rewired)

There is only one (so far) I am unable to tell where it goes, and I am assuming it is the main interior ground. It is a large (~12 gauge or so) with a big brass ring terminal on the end. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Also, due to the size of the wires involved, I take it the main power for the entire car comes through the similarly sized red/yellow wires that run through the ammeter? In other words, if you ammeter is no good your car no workie?

Another unrelated (but semi-electrical); how do I remove the switches in the door jamb?

DiamondJim 08-01-2020 09:19 AM

I’ll look at my 62 later today. Seems like a remember a ground coming from inside through the firewall and grounding under a bolt on the voltage regulator

webfoot 08-01-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondJim (Post 6166099)
I’ll look at my 62 later today. Seems like a remember a ground coming from inside through the firewall and grounding under a bolt on the voltage regulator

Id sure appreciate it.. the wire is definitely long enough to go outside.

pfilean 08-02-2020 12:34 PM

The large brass ring terminal should be a clue. Sounds like something that could only bolt to the starter solenoid or the large terminal lug on the horn relay. That's about the only place with a thread that large for the wire loop to go on. As the starter solenoid should only get a battery size cable on the lug that large we can rule that one out. That leaves the terminal lug on the horn relay as a connection point. There is a large wire on that lug as well as the main battery cable and the battery cable going on to the starter solenoid, That large wire (number 8 or 10) is usually yellow and goes directly to the ammeter.

But as this car is likely your convertible there should also be a wire on that terminal at the horn relay that feeds the power top. If you also have power windows or power seat there could also be additional wire to power those connected at the horn relay

webfoot 08-03-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfilean (Post 6166371)
The large brass ring terminal should be a clue. Sounds like something that could only bolt to the starter solenoid or the large terminal lug on the horn relay. That's about the only place with a thread that large for the wire loop to go on. As the starter solenoid should only get a battery size cable on the lug that large we can rule that one out. That leaves the terminal lug on the horn relay as a connection point. There is a large wire on that lug as well as the main battery cable and the battery cable going on to the starter solenoid, That large wire (number 8 or 10) is usually yellow and goes directly to the ammeter.

But as this car is likely your convertible there should also be a wire on that terminal at the horn relay that feeds the power top. If you also have power windows or power seat there could also be additional wire to power those connected at the horn relay

For sure it seems like it maybe goes to the firewall with a bolt and star washer. The lug on the horn relay is for + connections so I better not hook it up to that!

Yes it is for the convertible. Not sure what the wire which feeds the power top looks like yet, I better look at the wiring schematic.

webfoot 08-06-2020 02:23 PM

I found a hex screw with star washer to the left of the brake booster, so I used that to attach this ground wire to. It may be where the cylinder head to firewall ground goes but I think those are usually found on the passenger side.

Luckily I had left the hardware in the hole it came from.

DiamondJim 08-06-2020 04:41 PM

I’m positive my 62 has a ground wire coming through the firewall grounded to a screw that mounted the voltage regulator. I remember putting it back in when I removed the regulator