PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   66-67 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Vice Grip Garage '67 GTO (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858983)

geeteeohguy 05-28-2022 04:18 PM

Vice Grip Garage '67 GTO

Derek on Vice Grip Garage (youtube) is 'bringing back around' a burgundy/black '67 GTO hardtop that has been sitting since 1982. The owner is a disabled Vietnam veteran and he does not know his son has taken the car to have Derek get it back on the road. I watched the first part last night, and it's a very worthy project. Check it out and subscribe to the channel if you haven't already. Dereck is a very humble guy and a real gearhead. His videos are highly entertaining, at least in my humble opinion. :)

ZeGermanHam 05-29-2022 11:36 AM

I enjoy Vise Grip Garage and watched this episode when it premiered on Friday. Looks like a very solid and complete car that hasn't been monkeyed with. It sounded at times like there was some bearing noise coming from one of the engine accessories (water pump would be my guess). I'm sure Derek will get it all sorted out, and I'm looking forward to the future episodes. His claim of 0-60mph in 5.2 seconds is, shall we say, optimistic.

geeteeohguy 05-29-2022 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam (Post 6345536)
I enjoy Vise Grip Garage and watched this episode when it premiered on Friday. Looks like a very solid and complete car that hasn't been monkeyed with. It sounded at times like there was some bearing noise coming from one of the engine accessories (water pump would be my guess). I'm sure Derek will get it all sorted out, and I'm looking forward to the future episodes. His claim of 0-60mph in 5.2 seconds is, shall we say, optimistic.

Motortrend ran a test with a 4 speed car and an auto car in 1967 and did 0-60 in 4.9 seconds with M&H street/strip tires on the back and a set of 3.90 gears.

That said, the 335HP, AC/Auto equipped VG Garage goat likely has 2.93's out back so it would be a lot more leisurely getting to 60!

One issue I've seen with these Pontiacs that sit more than 20 years, is the timing covers dissolve around the water pump plates internally from electrolysis, and you can't tell anything is wrong but the thing will get HOT.
We'll see if Derek runs into that....there's a good chance he will. I've seen it more than once, and in dry CA, too.

turbo69bird 05-29-2022 05:08 PM

Feel like all that stuff is so scripted but happy a vet is getting some help w his car.

Sloan66 05-31-2022 04:40 PM

Very solid car, good story to go with it. That brake system ought to be interesting....

77 TRASHCAN 05-31-2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeteeohguy (Post 6345606)
Motortrend ran a test with a 4 speed car and an auto car in 1967 and did 0-60 in 4.9 seconds with M&H street/strip tires on the back and a set of 3.90 gears.

That said, the 335HP, AC/Auto equipped VG Garage goat likely has 2.93's out back so it would be a lot more leisurely getting to 60!

One issue I've seen with these Pontiacs that sit more than 20 years, is the timing covers dissolve around the water pump plates internally from electrolysis, and you can't tell anything is wrong but the thing will get HOT.
We'll see if Derek runs into that....there's a good chance he will. I've seen it more than once, and in dry CA, too.

It got hot, once in the video. He thought it had air in the coolant, and that he had it fixed....We will know more about that in coming episodes!!!!
Man, his move to Tennessee will allow him to do much more work and do it easier. Some of those frozen Minnesota videos make me cringe, especially when its craazing cold IN his shop.

77 TRASHCAN 05-31-2022 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloan66 (Post 6346056)
Very solid car, good story to go with it. That brake system ought to be interesting....

Yeah, with the stuck brake pedal, I was guessing the good old 4 piston calipers seized all up!!! (I hope it has disc)