PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Keyless entry (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863301)

64speed 12-07-2022 11:02 PM

Keyless entry

Anybody have it or install it? What kit did you use?

Formulajones 12-08-2022 07:02 AM

I've worked on those systems before.
Don't remember the brand but customer brought in a 40 ford with it and it wasn't working right.

After 2 days of fiddling and fixing a bad wire job the controller had to be replaced. I quickly became "not a fan"
Lol

Just more gadgets and gizmos that fail and cost money.

67drake 12-08-2022 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulajones (Post 6391694)
I've worked on those systems before.
Don't remember the brand but customer brought in a 40 ford with it and it wasn't working right.

After 2 days of fiddling and fixing a bad wire job the controller had to be replaced. I quickly became "not a fan"
Lol

Just more gadgets and gizmos that fail and cost money.

I agree. I’ve never installed one myself, but my first thought was “Another gizmo that will go out on you.” Plus most aftermarket things these days are pretty much junk IMO.

The Champ 12-08-2022 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 64speed (Post 6391666)
Anybody have it or install it? What kit did you use?

When you shave the door handles off your wife's '72 Camaro, you have no choice but to go with keyless (and handleless) entry.

We put this in the car about 20 years ago and I don't remember where I got the kit. It's worked well after I switched out the original door poppers with bigger ones (the Camaro doors are very heavy). Since then, they've been very reliable.

I did not do the install. I don't like messing with wiring and am willing to pay someone to do stuff that I'm not good at.

I'm sure that there are good kits to do the simple task of just unlocking the doors vs actually opening the doors via a key fob.

Half-Inch Stud 12-08-2022 09:19 AM

The 95-97 Towncar keyless works well. Controller is in the driver door. Maybe that system lifts out with its own harness.

Stuart 12-08-2022 10:46 AM

There are any number of them, I suspect they're all about the same as far as performance is concerned. There are some that just control central locking, plus there are some that include remote starting, and some that include an alarm system, so you have to pick which type you want. If it's for your Tempest you'll need to get a kit that includes actuators. I see on Amazon you can get a kit for under $30 so it will be a cheap experiment. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=central+locking+system+kit

ta man 12-08-2022 11:04 AM

I have a Electric Life kit in my car works well. I also have the trunk on a remote.

Formulajones 12-08-2022 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Champ (Post 6391702)
When you shave the door handles off your wife's '72 Camaro, you have no choice but to go with keyless (and handleless) entry.

We put this in the car about 20 years ago and I don't remember where I got the kit. It's worked well after I switched out the original door poppers with bigger ones (the Camaro doors are very heavy). Since then, they've been very reliable.

I did not do the install. I don't like messing with wiring and am willing to pay someone to do stuff that I'm not good at.

I'm sure that there are good kits to do the simple task of just unlocking the doors vs actually opening the doors via a key fob.

Ha, that's what the 40 Ford was, shaved handles, so taking it out and filing it in the round can wasn't an option. He brought it over complaining he couldn't get in the car :pound: Luckily it was a 4 door so he had 3 other chances. The passenger rear was the only door that worked so he had to climb through the car.

I mainly see this stuff on the pre-war vehicles. Those street rod guys like this stuff for some reason.

The Champ 12-08-2022 11:30 AM

FJ

Once I upgraded the door poppers, the Camaro's doors have operated just fine for over 15 years. We are very happy with them.

I would think that a simple keyless entry system, that has only a fraction of the complexity of what's required for shaved door handles, would be as reliable as what my factory keyless entry systems have been for the last 20 years. Assuming a proper installation, of course.

Formulajones 12-08-2022 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Champ (Post 6391732)
FJ

Once I upgraded the door poppers, the Camaro's doors have operated just fine for over 15 years. We are very happy with them.

I would think that a simple keyless entry system, that has only a fraction of the complexity of what's required for shaved door handles, would be as reliable as what my factory keyless entry systems have been for the last 20 years. Assuming a proper installation, of course.

Yeah I didn't build this particular car, I was just the one stuck fixing all the issues Bleh, My least favorite thing to do is go back through a car someone else built.

Anyway, it's still working fine, been a few years now. I'm actually restoring one of his other cars as we speak.

64speed 12-08-2022 04:18 PM

I am just fishing for ideas. This car truly is my regular (not daily) driver. I had 3800 miles on that engine already when I blew it up so I suspect I will drive it a good bit more when its a little tamer and some things are just convenient

Formulabruce 12-08-2022 04:18 PM

I use a MES system , and have used Electric life. NO keys touch my paint. Trunk is on remote as well as doors. At cruise in or car show I dont worry about my wife or others attempting to get into the trunk. Can be also programed to lock the doors when in gear, or hooked to a security system. Under 100 bucks, well worth it.... BUT. Will drain battery over a long winter sitting.

chuckies76ta 12-08-2022 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice color. May I ask, What brand rims are those? I like.

Brentco 12-09-2022 04:48 AM

I’m generally not a fan of putting modern stuff in these cars on principle, but a few years back I decided to install a keyless entry system, just for kicks. Now I couldn’t live without it. Everything is tucked away so no modern gizmos are visible, but it makes the experience of driving the car so much more seamless. I’ve used a couple of those dirt cheap Chinese keyless systems off of Amazon — $30 or less. They’re all essentially identical products, and they have all worked great for me. No reliability issues, always worked flawlessly, and from a very impressive distance. I have it wired in so both the key fob and the interior switch can control the doors, and I even have it wired to flash the lights on lock/unlock.

The Champ 12-09-2022 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckies76ta (Post 6391869)
Nice color. May I ask, What brand rims are those? I like.

After a 5 year search for the "right" rims for my wife's Camaro, I spotted the brand new (at the time - 2017), Billet Speciaties - Win Lite's. When I ordered them, I was told by my sales rep it was the very first set they had sold.

https://3stepsolutions.s3-accelerate...e-6d6d50e801f8

https://www.billetspecialties.com/st...eter-brs02-17/

Because she had most al of the chrome/stainless on her Camaro powdercoated satin black, she wanted a polished rim with black highlights.

She hates any of the traditional 5 spoke rims,

We went with 17x8 fronts and 17x9 rears with 235/45/17's and 275/40/17's.

The attached photo is with the old 16x8 Centerline 500's that we put on back in 2001. After 15 years of polishing around all those rivets, I needed something easier to polish!

chuckies76ta 12-09-2022 08:52 AM

Thank you for posting. Nice looking car. Nice you and your wife have cars.

NeighborsComplaint 12-10-2022 06:02 PM

Take the car to an auto alarm shop and have them install a basic keyless entry kit. I think it's smarter to leave the install to them. The auto salons in-town here all use Viper brand. The passive system is their best seller but I would think with a vintage car you'd want the "point and click" show.

Formulabruce 12-11-2022 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint (Post 6392264)
Take the car to an auto alarm shop and have them install a basic keyless entry kit. I think it's smarter to leave the install to them. The auto salons in-town here all use Viper brand. The passive system is their best seller but I would think with a vintage car you'd want the "point and click" show.

I will 100% disagree ..
1. Would I want a kid doing my classic like they can rip off door panels on new cars? Why let someone take apart a car they know Nothing about? Hack, hack...
2. The Viper systems are for Modern cars and have way more cost and features than needed.
3. The MES system and others like it are so simple. A Relay behind glove box( Trunk) and and the controller by the fuse box and like 3 wire install.
4 NO car alarm place is going to take the time to research Anything on our older classics. So they gouge door panel? IF you can replace it its 9 months out and 500 bucks...... No thanks...
No offense Neighbors...

NeighborsComplaint 12-11-2022 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulabruce (Post 6392419)
I will 100% disagree ..
1. Would I want a kid doing my classic like they can rip off door panels on new cars? Why let someone take apart a car they know Nothing about? Hack, hack...
2. The Viper systems are for Modern cars and have way more cost and features than needed.
3. The MES system and others like it are so simple. A Relay behind glove box( Trunk) and and the controller by the fuse box and like 3 wire install.
4 NO car alarm place is going to take the time to research Anything on our older classics. So they gouge door panel? IF you can replace it its 9 months out and 500 bucks...... No thanks...
No offense Neighbors...

I had just the opposite experience when the car salon near me installed my stereo. They replaced the kick panels with my pre-loaded component speaker panels. Removed the passenger seat and installed my low profile powered subwoofer without a scratch. They even honored my request to connect both my rear quarter mounted power antenna and in-windshield antenna. They neatly fitted my head unit in a small console I adapted to mount inside the glove compartment. They're all gear heads and do this custom stereo all day long and were excited to work on a classic muscle car.

Your issue is thinking all shops operate like BestBuy. You just have to look around to see whether or not the know what they're doing. You can also remove your own door panels if that is a concern. I chose to provide them a precut glovebox liner, fitted console and unmounted glove box door, figuring reassembly would be more intuitive, not that it was brain surgery anyway. They looked at my less than perfect cut in the glove box back (which you'd never see) and proceeded to test fit, enlarge the opening slightly and then hot glue windlace molding around the opening to eliminate any gap. I was impressed.

Formulabruce 12-12-2022 10:03 AM

I can see this, but most shops are all about the money and custom work is Not an option, nor do they have the skill.
I am hoping it wasnt too pricey. Glad it worked out for all you needed and your kick panels have plenty of gray caulk/ sealer around the big air intake area, especially where the cable for vent goes...