PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Anyone bake Sourdough Bread ? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870351)

MUSLCAH 11-12-2023 07:22 PM

Anyone bake Sourdough Bread ?

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 623209

Anyone else gone to the dark side of Sourdough?

When the temperature drops....I fire up another passion ...and no one refuses a slice or loaf or Sourdough.

Half-Inch Stud 11-12-2023 07:28 PM

Yea, finished a Korean drama called "Bread, Love, and Dreams". Well half thru it we got motivated to MAKE BREAD! We made a sour dough. It turned out very good.

I want to use beer yeasts for future batches.

Skidmark 11-12-2023 09:35 PM

Man that looks good!

1966Lemans 11-12-2023 10:13 PM

I started making sourdough during Covid, but realized I can't eat that much bread �� But I do have a several year old starter that I wake up every few months, and make some. It's "sleeping" in the refrigerator otherwise. Up until now, I've been baking it like a baguette, because I didn't have a dutch oven, but my wife just bought me one. So, I guess I'll be waking up the starter for Thanksgiving. Your's looks great!
--- Jay

MUSLCAH 11-12-2023 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1966Lemans (Post 6466723)
I started making sourdough during Covid, but realized I can't eat that much bread �� But I do have a several year old starter that I wake up every few months, and make some. It's "sleeping" in the refrigerator otherwise. Up until now, I've been baking it like a baguette, because I didn't have a dutch oven, but my wife just bought me one. So, I guess I'll be waking up the starter for Thanksgiving. Your's looks great!
--- Jay

Yup...that’s when I started too.

My Starter will be 2 years old next month ( December).....

I haven’t killed it yet...lol

will slow gto 11-13-2023 03:00 AM

Nice looking loaf! Our starter is almost 2 years old as well. Surprisingly I can’t find a picture in my phone…One thing we’ve tried recently is spreading rice on the bottom of the Dutch oven (below the parchment paper) to keep the bottom of the loaf from burning. We rarely buy bread anymore but we’ve been going through quite a lot of butter

necdb3 11-13-2023 08:24 AM

Just made 3 gallons of chile, does that count?

Half-Inch Stud 11-13-2023 08:48 AM

Top rack to avoid bottom burning. Yet i like the burnt bottom, its roasty. Cup of water in oven for the crispy shell.

MUSLCAH 11-13-2023 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud (Post 6466769)
Top rack to avoid bottom burning. Yet i like the burnt bottom, its roasty. Cup of water in oven for the crispy shell.

What do you bake your bread in / on ..?

I used an enameled cast iron Dutch oven.

But looking at one of those Challengers.

burd 11-13-2023 10:04 AM

I do it in the bread machine. It’s a process, you gotta do the starter, you know it’s good sourdough when the roof of your mouth gets shredded, lol
With the wine, are you kidding me, yum. Good looking loaf there.

TAKerry 11-13-2023 10:15 AM

I thought I was the only guy that baked bread! I have been wanting to do sourdough but havent stepped up to the challenge yet. Winter is my go to time as I use the heat from the fire place to let the loafs rise a bit before baking. Hoping to get some more practice in soon. Nothing beats a freshly baked loaf of bread!

Something else I enjoy is making pasta, beef ravioli in particular. I found out a few years ago, IF I want to eat I had to learn how to cook. My wife doesnt!!

MUSLCAH 11-13-2023 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAKerry (Post 6466789)
I thought I was the only guy that baked bread! I have been wanting to do sourdough but havent stepped up to the challenge yet. Winter is my go to time as I use the heat from the fire place to let the loafs rise a bit before baking. Hoping to get some more practice in soon. Nothing beats a freshly baked loaf of bread!

Something else I enjoy is making pasta, beef ravioli in particular. I found out a few years ago, IF I want to eat I had to learn how to cook. My wife doesnt!!

Once you get into sourdough.....the possibilities are endless.

Sourdough pancakes are the best

Also make sourdough spaghetti

The best fried chicken w / sourdough starter.

On and on .....

vertigto 11-13-2023 05:55 PM

I haven't made it, but sourdough bread is pretty much all I eat these days.

Half-Inch Stud 11-13-2023 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUSLCAH (Post 6466785)
What do you bake your bread in / on ..? I used an enameled cast iron Dutch oven. But looking at one of those Challengers.

You've mistaken me for an expert. I hobo my way thru with a glass or metal depending on the shape. The last batch was a flat cookie sheet (recommend)

4dblnkldude 11-13-2023 08:24 PM

I buy it at the local bakery. A starter? Explain...

MUSLCAH 11-13-2023 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 623279

And......the money shot

MUSLCAH 11-13-2023 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude (Post 6466905)
I buy it at the local bakery. A starter? Explain...

A “Starter” is made from equal parts of Flour & water...that’s all.

It is a process to get it going ...about 10-14 days.

But once you get it up and running....your set for life...as long as you feed it.

The flour and water mixture grab the natural yeasts that are in the air....then the magic happens.

There is no need for commercial yeast ( store bought) anymore.

The Starter is your yeast for sourdough to make it rise.

Tons of you tube videos on it

Half-Inch Stud 11-14-2023 08:47 AM

Well, there are many starter possibilities in brewer's yeast and bacteria sours. These go beyond "baker's yeast".

White labs has the most organized selection of yeasts and sours.