PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   66-67 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Any reason to keep line lock? Opinions (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833064)

KGTO 08-13-2019 02:02 AM

Any reason to keep line lock? Opinions

1 Attachment(s)
Used to run my 67 at the track, now it's on a rotisserie and will likey never go to the strip again. Bigger brakes and making it more driveable. Running new brake lines and thinking of eliminating the plumbing for the line lock. I'd like to keep all the lines in the OEM manner, even with the headers.

Any reason I should plumb it back in?

Keith Seymore 08-13-2019 06:36 AM

My vote would be no.

Just something else to go wrong.

K

Carmine 08-13-2019 07:07 AM

I would say no also. If you feel you'll never need it again, then why keep it, Carmine.

Chief of the 60's 08-13-2019 09:36 AM

Skinny tires, the car never going to be used as it was intended..... Take it off and donate it to a muscle car guy.

B.T.W.: Wrapping pipes almost guarantees them to crack.

KGTO 08-13-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's (Post 6050636)
Skinny tires, the car never going to be used as it was intended..... Take it off and donate it to a muscle car guy.

B.T.W.: Wrapping pipes almost guarantees them to crack.

I read that too, have you seen it happen? The mufflers/tails back are now ceramic coated. Was looking to keep some of the heat down, although the body is getting Lizard Skin...

Chief of the 60's 08-13-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGTO (Post 6050673)
I read that too, have you seen it happen? The mufflers/tails back are now ceramic coated. Was looking to keep some of the heat down, although the body is getting Lizard Skin...

I have seen it on headers, not on exhaust systems. But then, I have never seen anyone put it on an exhaust system.

JSPONT 08-13-2019 11:51 AM

Had that wrap on my down pipe for 6-7 years, no issue yet.

KGTO 08-13-2019 11:52 AM

I had it on zoomies on the blown alky car, didn't have years of use though

Mister Pontiac 08-13-2019 01:33 PM

My only thought for keeping it is if you actually want to use it as a "hill holder" occasionally when driving. Or if you have the urge to do impressive stationary burnouts from time to time... ;)

Seriously though, I took it off of my 67 GTO recently as well. Realized I didn't need it often enough to justify the issues I'd had with it. So probably fine to let it go.

:)

KGTO 08-13-2019 01:49 PM

Haha... I prefer 3rd gear side stepping the clutch burnouts anyhow :) Seriously though I could probably back off the proportioning valve and let it loose power braking it if I really need to.

lust4speed 08-14-2019 01:54 AM

I kept it on my '67 manual trans car when it went back to street duty and use it as a hill-holder. Only have a couple bad hills with traffic lights in my area, but it never fails some ding-a-ling will pull up within a couple feet of my rear bumper when I'm waiting at the light.