PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   68-69 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Mouse in cowl 68 A body (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872384)

nytrainer 03-04-2024 07:14 PM

Mouse in cowl 68 A body

Noticed a mouse nest (looks like seat cotton padding) balled up under the chicken wire atop the cowl vent. I’ve never seen this cowl section cut open and wondered if this plenum exits under the car somewhere. I know (assume?) cowl plenum feeds air to the kickpanel vents and main dash ventilation. The car in question is a 68 a-body with a/c so does not have kick panel vents. Interested in how he (they?) got in?
Warrant is posted. Dead or Alive.

OG68 03-04-2024 07:39 PM

There's a drain hole at end of the rocker panel below the quarter window. Should have a rubber flap over it.

nytrainer 03-04-2024 07:57 PM

Thanks Ed. I assume one on each side. Is it hidden behind the heel of the fenders or would I see this flap/exit just looking under the car. I’d like to flush out the cowl in case there’s crap plugging it up

OG68 03-04-2024 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just ahead of the rear wheel opening. Wrap your fingers under the body and you can feel the flap or opening.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...9&d=1709605951

Cammer-6 03-05-2024 08:01 PM

I would trap it inside the car or smoke it out.
Poisoning may leave you a stinky mess that you cant get to.
Use dryer vent hose into a bucket full of water with dish washing soap
at the outlet and direct smoke into the cowl.
They will smell smoke and get the babies out.

nytrainer 03-05-2024 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cammer-6 (Post 6490397)
I would trap it inside the car or smoke it out.
Poisoning may leave you a stinky mess that you cant get to.

I used an old snap trap with peanut butter that was a little rusty. Placed it next to his nest. Unfortunately the rust prevented the trap from shutting so he dined on my dime. Not a trace of the PB remained lol. Bought a new $3.00 trap so now that he has a taste for the PB I’ll get him tonight.
Curious about smoking him out. What would be used to make the smoke? Something like they use for beekeeping?
Funny thing as I was returning back to house from the garage something caught my eye. A groundhog emerged from under the shed and sat upright surveying the yard. We’re on 1.5 acre (so are the surrounding properties) and this is the first time in 30 years that I’ve been here that I saw one. For a largely overpopulated and overbuilt area we have quite the animal population. Deer, fox, raccoons, hawks, ospreys, possum, pheasant, turtles, ducks, geese and the other usual cats, bats, rabbits and mice. Amazing what my security cameras pick up on the regular.

dataway 03-06-2024 03:00 AM

You live in a real nice neighborhood, of course they want to hang out at your place :)

Last year we trapped 37 mice, up to 8 so far this year. Most in the sheds, some in the house. We'll typically have a couple of good catch years, then they kind of disappear for a couple of years. Then the cycle starts over.

I worry that I never see any in the shop ... makes me think all the paint and chemicals I keep in there are scaring them off ... and probably killing me :)

nytrainer 03-06-2024 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Johnny when you settle in Tennessee your mice will be easier to spot. From the knowledge I obtained from Saturday morning cartoons I believe down there the mice all wear hats.

Mr Twister 03-06-2024 12:22 PM

I play talk radio constantly. I think it helps drive them away.

Greg Reid 03-06-2024 01:33 PM

I've had good luck dribbling peppermint oil around my carpets. Smells nice too. Rodents hate peppermint, spearmint, mint in general.

bluejudge 03-06-2024 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Reid (Post 6490552)
I've had good luck dribbling peppermint oil around my carpets. Smells nice too. Rodents hate peppermint, spearmint, mint in general.

If you look up grandpa Gus they have pouches you can put around the car and spray them every few months, not sure if you know that company. They have a peppermint spray too. If you don’t want to keep spraying the carpet.

Entropy11 03-06-2024 04:03 PM

I still use those flexible scented urinal mats. I’ve never used anything more effective. The nice part about the scented repellent options is that it will drive the mice out and not kill them in the car.

Supposedly mice don’t want to be in any place with a strong smell because they lose the ability to detect the scent of their predators (their own smell must not apply? lol). They also hate flashing and strobe lights, especially blue in color.

Greg Reid 03-06-2024 04:11 PM

I'm not real fond of flashing blue strobes myself!

OG68 03-06-2024 05:54 PM

:3gears: :police: :police: :police:

Cammer-6 03-07-2024 05:27 PM

I had squirrels chew thru the screen in eaves and get in the attic.
I blocked off all the other vents(old license plates worked fine)
and used metal dryer vent pipe to connect the exit hole with a 30 gallon trash can
Opposite side of roof I connected a shop vac hose to the eaves vent.
Metal coffee can with cotton rag with a little oil in it
Suck the smoke off the can making sure not to get any embers.
Dang squirrel went down the tube(dryer vent) hit the bottom of trashcan and bounced out
I never knew they could jump 3 ft straight up.
Mr.Ruger made quick work of that one.

indymanjoe 03-07-2024 05:44 PM

I have had great success with dryer sheets in the trunk and in the car over michigan winters. Never found a trace of mice in my car. the garage its stored in i have found traces but never so far in or on the car..we actually keep a bunch in our hunting cabin as well and though the neighbors have mice issue we do not.