PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Too many irons in the fire (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837179)

64speed 01-15-2020 12:03 AM

Too many irons in the fire

I am currently paying for chrome work ,bodywork, and the transmission.i am thinking about diverting money that I am spending on the trans and making minimum payments on it cause it doesn’t seem to me like a good idea to have a beautiful paint and chrome with nothing to put in it.

Half-Inch Stud 01-15-2020 09:52 AM

sympathies.

Chief of the 60's 01-15-2020 10:48 AM

Been there, done that. Welcome to the car restoration world. Budget? What budget.

OG68 01-15-2020 10:53 AM

Yep. I have my car coming out of paint and engine completion at the same time. Plus taxes coming up shortly. Perfect storm. At least the engine is already 75% paid for.

"QUICK-SILVER" 01-15-2020 11:30 AM

Sounds like what you're thinking is going to cause what you don't want to happen.

Good chef knows how to cook a big meal where everything gets done at the same time.

Clay

bdk1976 01-15-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64speed (Post 6100484)
I am currently paying for chrome work ,bodywork, and the transmission.i am thinking about diverting money that I am spending on the trans and making minimum payments on it cause it doesn’t seem to me like a good idea to have a beautiful paint and chrome with nothing to put in it.

That's the rub. DIY or pay through the nose. I'd even do my own chrome if I didn't think I'd turn my property into a superfund site!

JLMounce 01-15-2020 05:58 PM

You're in need vs want land. Needs come before wants.

Isn't this car supposed to end up as your daily driver? Seems to me, it would be hard to drive a car without a transmission. But just look at that chrome!

If it was me, I'd be prioritizing the things that actually get the car running and driving.

amcmike 01-15-2020 07:38 PM

I prefer getting the drivetrain sorted before I start throwing money at the body unless I have enough to do it all at once. Otherwise it's a very expensive piece of art. Then all you can do is tow it to shows and keep the hood closed.

64speed 01-17-2020 09:39 PM

The painter does not want the engine in the car cause he is doing the firewall. I want to get the car back totally assembled so I can just wire it up and put in the interior. I have no talent for body work. The body is almost ready to paint but it will be slow because I am making monthly payment

JUDGE3 01-17-2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdk1976 (Post 6100691)
That's the rub. DIY or pay through the nose. I'd even do my own chrome if I didn't think I'd turn my property into a superfund site!

bingo

I like my car to be worth more than I have in it from day one.

tooski 01-17-2020 10:22 PM

My projects are drivers also. I don't want the high end (dollar) show car paint job. I am working on the drive train and mechanicals to make the car safe and driveable. That way, if I get bogged down on the trim, paint, interior, and minor details, I can still drive them instead of wallowing in a funk in front of the TV.

JUDGE3 01-17-2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooski (Post 6101504)
My projects are drivers also. I don't want the high end (dollar) show car paint job. I am working on the drive train and mechanicals to make the car safe and driveable. That way, if I get bogged down on the trim, paint, interior, and minor details, I can still drive them instead of wallowing in a funk in front of the TV.

wallowing in a funk...…….lol, dig it!

that's good stuff! :)

n20ta2 01-18-2020 08:57 AM

I'm so glad I'm able to do my body,paint and engine myself or I couldn't afford it with all my stupid work Insurances lol. Currently waiting for my torque plate to come in the mail so my block can go to the machine shop. Just finished up my th400 last week. Kit was 300. Plus the convertor.

LATECH 01-18-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLMounce (Post 6100713)

Isn't this car supposed to end up as your daily driver? Seems to me, it would be hard to drive a car without a transmission. But just look at that chrome!

If it was me, I'd be prioritizing the things that actually get the car running and driving.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:first:

Tom Vaught 01-18-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

ALSO AGREE, THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been working on the 64 for many years collecting parts to make it the way I want it. Not original by any means. I have since 1964 to enjoy that production system. Today I want Modern Systems in a car that looks totally stock if I do not open the Hood or the vehicle is going down the road.

455 engine, Doug Nash Trans, 9" Ford Rear, BETTER BRAKES/STEERING/SAFER SEATS. But I collected a lot of those parts over the 50+ years.

Only in the last 6 months have I added "labor" to the majority of the parts collected.
(The work was done by ONE SHOP.)

Not finished yet but I only have to deal with one area of the car work at a time. Much easier to figure the work vs cash needed in that method.

JMO

Tom V.

Tom Vaught 01-18-2020 01:28 PM

Key Deal though is that YOU ARE WORKING ON THE CAR! GOOD JOB!

Tom V.

64speed 01-18-2020 03:12 PM

As Dabo Swinney says “perfection is the standard” I will drive this car everyday but I want to be at car shows and open the hood and hear people say holy s h I t. Attention to detail is very mportant to me but I have put my touches on it. I have the machine turned GTO bezel AMD speakers in the vent panels also have speakers for the package tray. I want people to look in at the interior and see the big 5 speed shifter standing proudly in front of the bench all surrounded by the factory radio playing songs off my iPhone. Then their is the big honking 9 inch out back with the aluminum center section with 3.70 gears. Interior and exterior appear as new in factory colors

Murf 01-18-2020 03:16 PM

It may be a little late to help you but my dad always told me “Plan your work, then work your plan.”

Best wishes
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

242177P 01-18-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64speed (Post 6101711)
... but I want to ...
I want people to ...

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...ZUWW644SR.jpeg

Tom Vaught 01-19-2020 10:05 AM

Do WHATEVER make you happy.

Tom V.