PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   64-65 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Body and Frame Alignment (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838256)

TransAm400 02-24-2020 10:19 AM

Body and Frame Alignment

1 Attachment(s)
We just got the body back on the frame for my dad's 65 GTO. We were able to get it lined up enough to get all of the body bolts in. I know my F Body has holes used to align the subframe and body structure. Do A bodies have holes that can be aligned by pins or should we just use a tape measure to get it as straight as possible?

428goat 02-24-2020 11:37 AM

I would think if you got all the body bolts in you are pretty close to being right on a A body. By the time you get them all in there is not a lot of movement left. You could try measure from the side of the frame to the rockers on both sides. I don’t know how much movement you will get with all the bolts in already. I did 2 frame offs and never had a problem.

mrennie 02-24-2020 03:28 PM

Not sure in that year of A body, but 70 A body has alignment holes down the driver side of frame. 1 under cowl, 1 near trailing arm mount, and one at rear of frame.

I used them when I put my body on frame and confirmed that body was parallel to frame, but it was certainly not centered...was shifted over one way by over 1/2".

I think they are useful to get body located front to back, but I would use a tape measure to get frame centered side to side or else you may have uneven tire clearance on one side if running wider tires.

geeteeohguy 02-24-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 428goat (Post 6113828)
I would think if you got all the body bolts in you are pretty close to being right on a A body. By the time you get them all in there is not a lot of movement left. You could try measure from the side of the frame to the rockers on both sides. I don’t know how much movement you will get with all the bolts in already. I did 2 frame offs and never had a problem.

This^^^. On an A-body, if all the bolts are in, and they all fit the same, you are good to go----it's aligned. If not all will fit, you will have shift or possibly damage. All bolts in= aligned body/frame.

Tom Vaught 02-25-2020 12:06 AM

I had a Circle Track race shop check the frame (for my 64 GTO) for proper dimensions prior to taking it to Scott Tieman and Scott said the body dropped right on the frame perfectly. So using the factory shop manual dimensions should get you real close if you have a frame that had never been in a accident and if not under the vehicle..

Tom V.

dld 02-25-2020 11:19 AM

More important on a F body than a A body . In ether case do a X dimension measurement from corner of core support to the cowl . The fender mounting bolt holes are good place to measure from. If this is not square you will have issues getting good fender and hood alignment