PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=424)
-   -   Battery light doesn't come on in run position (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635296)

gto65conv 06-04-2010 04:31 PM

Battery light doesn't come on in run position

65 GTO, battery light stopped coming on in run position; light does come on when starter is engaged and also in Acc position. I have changed alternators. Battery is fully charged even after driving for an hour with lights on.

I've searched the forums but didn't find anything with an external regulator.

Bill H 06-04-2010 06:02 PM

Light on!

The battery light isn't supposed to be on when the car is running. It usually comes on if the alternator/the alternator diodes or the regulator have a problem. It should come on when you turn the key to on/Acc, goes off when you turn to start and should stay off when the car starts.

I'm sure someone smarter can explain why.:D

gto65conv 06-04-2010 07:16 PM

OK, my bad for describing it that way.

As I recall when you I turn ignition off to on, idiot lights should come on prior to engaging starter. My battery light doesn't come on until the starter is engaged and then goes off when I let go of the key. Therefore when the engine is running I don't know if the system is charging or not.

wytnyt 06-04-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gto65conv (Post 4009208)
OK, my bad for describing it that way.

As I recall when you I turn ignition off to on, idiot lights should come on prior to engaging starter. My battery light doesn't come on until the starter is engaged and then goes off when I let go of the key. Therefore when the engine is running I don't know if the system is charging or not.

this is how its supposed to work
remove alt.belt,,,start the car and see if it comes on
gotta love these dummy lights:)

LPete 06-05-2010 03:19 PM

With the key on, engine off, ground the brown wire at the voltage regulator. If the charge light comes on, the voltage regulator is bad (it should be grounding that wire when the alternator isn't charging). I believe the brown wire is pin 4 of the regulator.

Edit: It wouldn't hurt to add a temporary ground to the regulator -- if the regulator isn't grounded, it can't turn the light on.

gto65conv 06-06-2010 11:33 AM

Nice bright red light when I ground the brown wire.

Shopping for a new voltage regulator, any recommendations as to brand or source?

Thanks!

shawn e. 06-06-2010 01:39 PM

Don't get a "made in China" voltage regulator!

Shawn

shawn e. 06-06-2010 01:43 PM

I bought the Chinese 18$ regulator lasted a few weeks spent the extra 40 bucks for the "Made In USA" Echlin regulator and am happy!

Shawn

gto65conv 06-06-2010 02:37 PM

Yeah, had my share of chinese too.

The NAPA website and my local store don't have listings for any 65 regulators. Anyone have an Echlin stock number?

GoetheJim51 02-25-2024 02:17 PM

1965 GTO Battery Light DIM

My !965 GTO frame off restoration has all new harnesses plus a hard wired rally harness for added gauge cluster, 110amp Alternator with TI Voltage Regulator. Everything works seemingly as it should except the Battery light which is DIM on IGN 1. Voltage when opposite wire is grounded to car as follows:

PINK BROWN Battery Light​
ENGINE OFF, ACC POSITION - 9.67V 9.67V Light Off

ENGINE OFF, RUN POSITION - 12.38V 10.50V Light *DIM*

ENGINE STARTING - Light Bright
ENGINE RUNNING - 14.46V 14.43V Light Off

Any help would be greatly appreciated as after 22 years I'd like to drive this thing. Thank you in advance for your input.

GoetheJim51 03-03-2024 04:10 PM

Hello fellow 65 GTO Convertible guy! I'm just finishing my frame off 65 restoration and ran into a problem like this thread, hoping you might help. I am down to one issue now after replacing the V regulator as you suggested when it didn't ground and grounding the temp gauge. Gen/Battery light stays on while cranking, otherwise, it's dim on ACC and bright on IGN 1 (not running) and off when running. All new harnesses but added rally gauge harness, alarm system and Pertronix I with full 12V wire. Any ideas would be appreciated.