PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   61-66 Big Pontiac TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=428)
-   -   problem with 428 install in 65 catalina (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828722)

Txbobcat 04-11-2019 05:32 AM

problem with 428 install in 65 catalina

Got the 428 together and installing it in the 65 catalina. First the harmonic balancer is sitting on the sway bar
. I lower the sway bar then notice that the oil pan is sitting on the engine cradle. Mounts are hooked up but somehow I need to move that engine up about 1/2 inch to get it off the frame.
I have new motor mounts and the book says 65 thru 70 and the engine is a 69 so I thought all would be good. Oil pan is original to the 428. 65 oil pan seems to be bigger so what is the problem?.
At this point I am thinking about removing the motor mount frame piece and welding it 1/2 inch higher so it can clear the cradle and also moving the tranny up as well.
Before I do this wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with the same car and engine.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

AROWHED 04-11-2019 09:52 AM

Ran into this on my 65 GP with a 71 455 years ago. The 71 harmonic dampener is larger than a 65 dampener. I used 1/4" steel plates to shim between frame and bar mounts, slightly lowering bar. Or better yet, change to an Addco bar, which has a clearance bend, and is much better than stock for handling.
As for oil pan, try gently raising engine and add shims between mount and frame first. You may have to die grind the slot in the frame mount a little, for bolt clearance, as the engine moves up.

77 TRASHCAN 04-11-2019 10:01 AM

Has anything changed on how the trans sits on the cross member???

Txbobcat 04-12-2019 05:50 AM

I shimmed up under the motor mounts and fixed the problem

stevep 04-12-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN (Post 6012136)
Has anything changed on how the trans sits on the cross member???

Is it a problem?

389 04-16-2019 10:59 AM

Is the closed chamber 389/421 that bad? Those closed chamber heads love wide lobe separation cams...

Txbobcat 04-17-2019 07:22 AM

Had to quit for a few days. Tranny mount was broke ordered a new one. Have to go to work in Mo for a week or so. Will report back

MPKind 05-12-2019 10:46 AM

Use year correct parts for the oil pan, balancer and mounts. It will solve all the clearance issues. Addco bar works great with a stock setup.

Aftermarket pans all rub on the drag link. I welded a baffle in mine to keep the oil down, bought a new performance balancer from Tin Indian or Butler. Original 2 piece style. Never use a 50 year old balancer. The block doesn’t matter from 65 and up. all dimensionally the same on the outside.

The point is that the all these cars were fit with specific bolt on parts to fit a specific year and model beyond the long block. No trial and error or welding required.