PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Quarter mile fun (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839249)

455abody 04-02-2020 10:33 AM

Quarter mile fun

1 Attachment(s)
With this strange quarantine situation I was starting to get a little stir crazy Sunday evening. I had been reading some really good back issues of High Performance Pontiac magazine regarding engine builds and quarter mile shoot outs. Seeing as I had my motor rebuilt around the holidays and have around 400 miles on the rebuild.I thought it would be safe to click off a quarter mile on a lonesome mid western road. Armed with my Gtech and a 70 455 Goat I clicked off a 13.72 at 101 I know that's not blistering fast but for pretty much a stock motor I was happy with that and had a blast! Enjoy your Pontiacs this spring! Brian

RocktimusPryme 04-02-2020 10:47 AM

That is the one big thing the quarantine has really ruined for me. Last year I clicked off a mid 8 in the 1/8th but at 88 MPH. In November I hooked up subframe connectors and added some M/T drag radials with new lighter Race Stars. Was looking forward to a 12 second type number this year.

67droptop 04-02-2020 11:03 AM

Nice car!

cnc 04-02-2020 12:05 PM

Yes same here this issue has delayed our track around here with the revamping it was planning -repave of the 1/4 and refresh the shut down,replace barriers, lighting, PA system .etc. new owners took over and this is there plan..
They are also going back to Orignal name too.....St Thomas Dragway
New Owners also own Grand bend Motorplex .

694.1 04-02-2020 12:31 PM

Great color combo.
Report back when you are in the 12s :)

Formulajones 04-02-2020 12:31 PM

You guys don't have any tracks open?

I was just at our drag strip for a little fun and they informed me this beer virus won't be affecting them. Basically everyone is in their own car anyway so the social distancing isn't a problem.

Place was packed with cars, we raced for 6 hours and never had any issue, or even the need of getting close to anyone.

694.1 04-02-2020 01:46 PM

Of course they had to shut down the Grand Canyon...The great outdoors is pretty confining. :confused:

AG 04-02-2020 02:10 PM

Love the color combo. What is the motor combo?

Keith Seymore 04-02-2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme (Post 6125781)
That is the one big thing the quarantine has really ruined for me.

This quarantine is actually helping me. My car is not yet back together; my first race was supposed to be this weekend but has been postponed indefinitely.

Gives me another month to catch up.

K

Formulajones 04-02-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 694.1 (Post 6125845)
Of course they had to shut down the Grand Canyon...The great outdoors is pretty confining. :confused:

Yeah that one confused me too, then I saw the backlog of people trying to get in on the news, it was crazy. I guess people want to get out of the house and decide a trip up there is a good idea. Problem was everyone had the same idea, lol. So they closed it.
We are lucky to be backed up to state land with 1,000's of miles of trails up in the mountains so we can escape when we want without the need to drive up to the grand canyon.

RocktimusPryme 04-02-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 6125857)
This quarantine is actually helping me. My car is not yet back together; my first race was supposed to be this weekend but has been postponed indefinitely.

Gives me another month to catch up.

K

I get a little bit of that too. I’m putting together a straight axle drag car for Drag Week. Wanted it to be running before the tracks open. I just might make it now.

cnc 04-02-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulajones (Post 6125825)
You guys don't have any tracks open?

I was just at our drag strip for a little fun and they informed me this beer virus won't be affecting them. Basically everyone is in their own car anyway so the social distancing isn't a problem.

Place was packed with cars, we raced for 6 hours and never had any issue, or even the need of getting close to anyone.

Grand bend I just looked at the schedule opening May9th by the looks of things...will it open not sure....????
St thomas they were planning I think this month to start with the pavement ...not sure if that's still a go either....
Good to see you are out and having some fun...

Formulajones 04-02-2020 09:47 PM

I keep forgetting you guys are up in Canada. Probably still snowing up there?

OCMDGTO 04-03-2020 07:34 AM

Nice car 455! Tracks are shut down here

Cliff R 04-03-2020 07:47 AM

Track are shut down but Law Enforcement is not doing traffic stops to avoid contact with someone who might have the virus. You should be able to do PLENTY of full throttle runs without worrying about getting locked up for it!.........Cliff

cnc 04-03-2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulajones (Post 6126034)
I keep forgetting you guys are up in Canada. Probably still snowing up there?

No no snow...lol....we r north.....but not that far north......;)

Formulajones 04-03-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff R (Post 6126131)
Track are shut down but Law Enforcement is not doing traffic stops to avoid contact with someone who might have the virus. You should be able to do PLENTY of full throttle runs without worrying about getting locked up for it!.........Cliff

Wow, have you guys been hit hard with that stuff out there in Ohio? I haven't heard from my relatives out there as of late.

They did a state wide shut down and quarantine here in Arizona at the beginning of this week, but if you look at the list of businesses they consider essential to stay open, it's pretty much everything, so it's business as usual here. Even the golf courses are open here. Crazy.

The only thing that has really changed around here is that food is carry out only.

HWYSTR455 04-03-2020 10:38 AM

13.72 is respectable, that's right around what Road & Track registered back in the day.

Minor tuning should bring that down some, like timing and carb tweaks. Could probably knock off a half a sec.

Nice car!