PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   T-37 on Roadkill (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843776)

Chief of the 60's 09-02-2020 11:41 AM

T-37 on Roadkill

Did anyone catch it last night?

They pulled a rock solid T-37 out of a junkyard that was in there for 30 years. Got it running and driving with little issue.

They said it was a Roadkill failure because it didn't die and that it was probably the best car they ever had. :pound: :clap2:

ZnbOlds455 09-02-2020 11:56 AM

Recorded it. Plan on watching this weekend. Those guys do some dumb stuff, but it's fairly neat how they go about it.

433lemans 09-02-2020 12:01 PM

Saw it too. Surprised they didn't destroy it. They were close to it when they drove up the Knievel jump site and got over the edge. Suppose it'll end up with a diesel or a cheby engine or some other weird combo down the road? Sounds like they plan to do something to it in the future.

433lemans 09-02-2020 12:07 PM

OOPS! Sorry ZnbOlds, didn't mean to spoil it for you.

Sirrotica 09-02-2020 12:33 PM

I almost forgot I recorded it, I'm watching it now, 1970 400 with headers, bonus. Almost a GTO.

Freiburger never has much interest in Pontiacs, but he seems to like this one. Finnegan is stoked...LOL

Long tail 400 with a Q jet, so probably out of Bonneville.

I guess they don't know how to shim the starter as it's screaming every time they crank it.

So someone put a new timing chain and gears and left the fuel pump eccentric out, nice, and the guy did the engine swap and never figured out what the problem was.
Must be nice to get all the free new tires and wheels ya want. Then they go put a crabby edelbrock carb on with a upside down adapter plate. Then they forget to hook up the modulator line, what geniuses. A shoe maker would be proud of them with all the cobbling they do.

Betting if they do work on it in the future it will end up like most of the A body chevelles do, with a LS in it. Every reality car show on TV does the same thing with everything, LS transplant.

Stuart 09-02-2020 01:23 PM

That episode has been rerun on TV a number of times, but it is pretty good. They've had a few Pontiacs on the show - the very first episode had a 1972 Catalina, and there was another episode with a 1967 Safari (I think a Bonneville.) Finnegan owns, or at least used to own, a first generation Firebird but I haven't seen much on any of his shows about it recently.

george kujanski 09-02-2020 01:28 PM

I saw it and questioned what they did to repair the QJ. It was spewing fuel.....why not change the needle/seat while the top was off the first time?

Sometimes I wonder about the "pros" on these car shows.

george

Sirrotica 09-02-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by george kujanski (Post 6174880)
I saw it and questioned what they did to repair the QJ. It was spewing fuel.....why not change the needle/seat while the top was off the first time?

Sometimes I wonder about the "pros" on these car shows.

george

It may also have been a gas logged float that sat and dried out, then got heavy after being exposed to gasoline again.

george kujanski 09-02-2020 03:15 PM

Sure, but pros would know that about a car sitting for years, no?

George

Sirrotica 09-02-2020 04:43 PM

Pros......................LOL

Chief of the 60's 09-02-2020 05:24 PM

Wow! A pretty critical group in here. I guess they could have just left that Pontiac in the boneyard, did "another" Chevy and everybody would have been happy and singing Kumbaya. :rolleyes:

gtospieg 09-02-2020 05:41 PM

Old episode...but what a sweet find.

433lemans 09-02-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's (Post 6174957)
Wow! A pretty critical group in here. I guess they could have just left that Pontiac in the boneyard, did "another" Chevy and everybody would have been happy and singing Kumbaya. :rolleyes:

Lol. If they had done another chuby, most of us probably wouldn't have watched it. GLAD THEY FOUND AND SAVED IT! :thumbup:

Ram4king 09-02-2020 08:04 PM

Most likely a scripted episode. I dont believe that car was sitting there for 30yrs.

Drag Star Le Mans 09-03-2020 02:31 AM

Like Stuart said this is an old episode and shown a few times. I have been to that yard several years age on my way back from Speedweek. The place is amazing as far as wrecking yards go. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that car was there for 30 years. Lots of old iron the looked like the T-37 there, sunburnt but straight.

Chief of the 60's 09-03-2020 08:01 AM

The Spectrum TV Guide listed this episode as "NEW", although I have seen that turn up on the guide for other shows that may have only been new on Motor Trend.

FYI: I just did a quick search and I'm seeing this was aired sometime in 2019

Bob's GTO 09-03-2020 09:08 AM

When Freiberger was gloating about their success in getting this car to stay running, did anybody catch Finnegan slamming the last two Roadkill failures because they were both Fords? LOL

bdk1976 09-03-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's (Post 6175104)
The Spectrum TV Guide listed this episode as "NEW", although I have seen that turn up on the guide for other shows that may have only been new on Motor Trend.

FYI: I just did a quick search and I'm seeing this was aired sometime in 2019

The roadkill episodes they show on TV are old ones. Brand new episodes are released to their streaming service.

bdk1976 09-03-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's (Post 6174957)

No doubt. Of all the (mostly horrible) car shows out there roadkill and roadkill garage are among my favorites. I’d love to see some of those from the peanut gallery try their own hand at a youtube series if they think they can do better.

george kujanski 09-03-2020 12:15 PM

I can do better. I can setup a distributor that's not 180 out. I can try to start a car with the PCV hose connnected instead of unconnected. I can make sure the vac hose to the modulator is connected. I can fix up a QJ with new innards as long as the top is off anyway.

Sure, a lot of that is scripted just for TV..... but my opinion is that the guys are knowledgeable enuf to not make those silly mistakes. Could be it's done on purpose. Perhaps I expect too much from TV, just my mindset.

In my profession, if i screw up the cost could be tens of thousands of $. I tend to be more deliberate in what I do, and double check. it would be nice to have their luxury :)

George