PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Rear armrest ashtray (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847425)

fbody_mike 01-11-2021 01:15 PM

Rear armrest ashtray

I need to modify my rear armrests in my 72 to fit the rear ashtrays. Can anyone with the rear ashtrays measure the distance from the front of the armrest to the edge of the chrome bezel, and also from the side to the edge of the bezel. If you have an armrest without the tray in it, the dimensions to the edge of the hole would also work.
The ashtrays I have are original to the car, but the original armrests were rotted and tossed out years ago, now I want to modify my replacements.

Thanks guys!

3tas4me 01-11-2021 07:00 PM

Maybe someone could explain how best to cut the opening for the ash tray when using a standard interior panel.

fbody_mike 01-11-2021 07:53 PM

Yeah, any advice on that would be helpful, I was going to go at it with a Dremel and small cutting disc.

Formulabruce 01-11-2021 08:43 PM

I cut them with a small "air saw" . If nobody finds the dims, I will dig one out and measure

unruhjonny 01-12-2021 06:53 PM

I am finally getting to the bottom of my extra parts, and yesterday I found a shoe box that contained a pair of these.

fbody_mike 01-12-2021 07:07 PM

I had to take some steel wool to mine to clean them up, I could not find any part numbers though other than the letter K stamped on the out of site edge of the bezel part.

unruhjonny 01-12-2021 07:47 PM

hmm, interesting thought.

If no one posts dimensions, i will go the the garage (where i moved said shoe box last night) after work, and measure them.

unruhjonny 01-13-2021 12:38 AM

Just a stamped "K" as mentioned;
these are tight measurements to the tray under the lip;
2-5/8" x 1-3/4+ (maybe 1-25/64")

The top/outer lips measures:
2-7/8" x 2"

fbody_mike 01-13-2021 12:50 PM

Thanks unruhjonny, but what I am still looking for are the measurements to help locate the hole I have to cut into the armrests. Since we both have K stamped ashtrays I will measure mine to see if they are the same. I have some pictures from the internet that I can approximate but there is that old saying "measure twice, cut once".

Thanks again,

unruhjonny 01-13-2021 12:55 PM

oh - sorry for my misinterpretation!

Maybe find someone who has a car with them, and PM them for measurements?

Do the undersides show any rough template of where they should be?

I have often found in situations like this, the underside of the panel should have markings.

burd 01-13-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbody_mike (Post 6214079)
I need to modify my rear armrests in my 72 to fit the rear ashtrays. Can anyone with the rear ashtrays measure the distance from the front of the armrest to the edge of the chrome bezel, and also from the side to the edge of the bezel. If you have an armrest without the tray in it, the dimensions to the edge of the hole would also work.
The ashtrays I have are original to the car, but the original armrests were rotted and tossed out years ago, now I want to modify my replacements.

Thanks guys!

I have a templet

fbody_mike 01-13-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burd (Post 6214978)
I have a templet

That's great! Any chance you can throw a ruler on it and take a photo?

RAJ7395 01-13-2021 05:18 PM

Did factory cars come with ash trays or were they always added later??

I've got two rear arm rests with ashtrays and I figured they were junk.

unruhjonny 01-13-2021 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAJ7395 (Post 6215009)
Did factory cars come with ash trays or were they always added later??

I've got two rear arm rests with ashtrays and I figured they were junk.

I believe that cars with deluxe interiors started getting them after, or around 1971.
I don't recall seeing them in untouched standard interior cars.
I know for a fact the '73 Formula I had (deluxe interior) had them.