PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Interior TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   Drilling through carpet (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691382)

TheMonkey 02-26-2012 11:57 PM

Drilling through carpet

Any tips on drilling through carpet without having it unravel? Need to screw down shifter boot. Was thinking about using short piece of 3/16 stainless brake line as a collar around drill bit, but thinking there might be a good trick someone knows?

b-man 02-27-2012 12:24 AM

I would think you'd want to cut a small slit in the carpet first with an X-Acto knife, then insert the tube through the slit before drilling.

TheMonkey 02-27-2012 12:30 AM

Yes that's what I had in mind.

60man 02-27-2012 02:38 AM

Or you can use a good sharp awl punch to "poke" a hole in sheet metal which I prefer when using sheet metal screws. Provided it won't distort the surface too bad....Just a thought..

steve v 02-27-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60man (Post 4563665)
Or you can use a good sharp awl punch to "poke" a hole in sheet metal which I prefer when using sheet metal screws. Provided it won't distort the surface too bad....Just a thought..

x2

I use a small pick or awl for small screws, larger holes for seat belt bolts etc you'll need to cut an opening w/a knife.

mviker 02-27-2012 07:42 AM

I spotted a post a couple weeks ago that had a member mentioning he used a hot iron or soldering gun to melt a hole in the carpet , then dril through that. If I remember right, he was installing seatbelts. Said it worked like a charm. Makes sense to me.

65WJ 02-27-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mviker (Post 4563690)
I spotted a post a couple weeks ago that had a member mentioning he used a hot iron or soldering gun to melt a hole in the carpet , then dril through that. If I remember right, he was installing seatbelts. Said it worked like a charm. Makes sense to me.

X2 on the Soldering Iron.

patrick

chrisp 02-27-2012 03:16 PM

Punch 1st. then tape the drill bit so it does not grab the carpet , winding it around the bit so it does un-wind .

GT182 02-27-2012 06:32 PM

Xs 3 on the soldering iron..... works great. You can use it for larger holes like the seatbelt bolts. Just be very careful you don't catch anything on fire. And watch your fingers..... that melted carpet will stay hot and very stickey for a few minutes.

East 02-27-2012 07:09 PM

Heated screwdriver

As stated previously, using a soldering iron or heated rod of some kind works well.

On a similar note, when I installed my headliner, I used the method of attaching all the screws first, then installed the headliner. Afterwards, I used a heated piece of metal and very carefully touched the screw heads allowing them to pop through the headliner. I was then able to attach the coat hangers, seat belt clips, and visors.