PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   04-06 Engine Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=507)
-   -   Best Performance Increase (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527099)

Gary Drexler 07-10-2007 05:25 PM

Best Performance Increase

What would the best bang for the buck to increase the performance of an 04' GTO,
without compromising the integrity of the engine, or exhuast?

1) nitrous oxide kit (how much $$ to refill the bottles)
2) heads / cams pro performance package
3) cut out mufflers only and replace with straight pipes
4) reprogram factory computer settings with an SLP Predator

Will 07-10-2007 07:50 PM

Best bang for the buck is definitely going to be nitrous. No other mod you've mentioned is going to add 150+ horses at anywhere near the cost of a nitrous kit.

69LeManster 07-10-2007 11:20 PM

1. 4. 3. 2.

Verdoro 68 07-11-2007 06:52 PM

What exactly do you mean by compromise the integrity of the engine or exhaust? Pretty much everyone you listed has the potential to do so in some way.

Personally I'd start with headers and a cam. You can get a fair amount of horsepower there. Both of those require a tune too. Heads too if you have the money, but you'll get the most bang out of the first two.

SLP Predator will maybe get you 5-10hp. Check into getting a dyno tune instead. It costs about the same and will net you more. FWIW, I netted a whopping 5hp from my Superchips tune. That's with shorty headers, high flow cats, a cat back, ported throttle body and a cold air intake.

Nitrous will get you the most gain, but if you are going to run nitrous do you homework on the setup and get a specialized dyno tune to account for the nitrous shot. Plenty of folks have blown their engine without proper tuning. It pays to be careful.

75ta4spd 08-19-2007 11:12 AM

Magna Charger supercharger. The car will still drive as good as stock and still get 25mpg until you get it under boost, and then listen to the whine and hold on!!! I love mine.

Skip Fix 08-22-2007 11:56 AM

A computer tune will make a BIG difference in even every day driving. If it's an auto getting rid of the darned TM makes it ALOT more consistent and even chirp the 1-2 shift.

Might not add alot of HP but will improve the driveability and make it feel faster.

Dick Boneske 08-22-2007 06:01 PM

What's a TM? I have an '04 GTO and it chirps the tires on the 1-2 shift. Nothing was done to the car since it left the showroom except oil changes.

goatnut 08-22-2007 06:36 PM

torque management.

87LC2 09-30-2007 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Drexler
What would the best bang for the buck to increase the performance of an 04' GTO,
without compromising the integrity of the engine, or exhuast?

1) nitrous oxide kit (how much $$ to refill the bottles)
2) heads / cams pro performance package
3) cut out mufflers only and replace with straight pipes
4) reprogram factory computer settings with an SLP Predator

With these choices the only one to not compromise the engine or exhaust is the Predator.

David Holmberg 09-30-2007 10:47 PM

I'd do a heads and cam with headers with a quality tune from a shop.

Then if you want/need more power add the bottle or a blower/turbo setup. But a head and cam combo will sound great, run even better and put a large smile on your face with out having to fill up a bottle every other day. ;)