PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   68-69 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   69 GTO convertible Deluxe bucket seat belts (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835650)

7T-GOAT 11-15-2019 08:58 AM

69 GTO convertible Deluxe bucket seat belts

1 Attachment(s)
I'm upgrading my seat belts in my 69 GTO ragtop from standard to the deluxe brushed stainless. Ragtops only get one buckle per bucket seat, as apposed to two on a coupe. Couple questions...

Are the bucket seat deluxe buckles and their male ends the smaller size?
Also is the buckle (female end) attached to a non-adjustable belt?
What's the over all length of the female belt, anchor to buckle?

Pic shows both types of seat belts...Thanks

kk68 11-15-2019 10:01 AM

In your photo, the larger buckles look like the bucket seat lap belts which are paired with the retractable males. The smaller buckles look like they are for the shoulder belts.

7T-GOAT 11-15-2019 10:09 AM

Deluxe belts

Yes I understand that. But for some reason (I've been told and seem to remember) that when you have a convertible that came with deluxe belts, the bucket seats took the small buckle and the rear bench seat took the larger buckles. I'm trying to confirm if this is correct.

Brewster 11-15-2019 10:33 AM

My 69 car has small up front with bigger ones in the rear seat. Dont recall without looking about retractables?

7T-GOAT 11-15-2019 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mark Simiele's back seat. I sent him a pm to find out what the front buckles look like.

gto4evr 11-15-2019 11:47 AM

the small buckle deluxe belts for the front are on locking retractors hence non adjustable straps. The rear belts are the bigger buckles with adjustable straps

early 69 deluxe retractors had a knob on them to lock the retractor, later 69 was a self locking retractor without the knob.

7T-GOAT 11-15-2019 06:34 PM

Good info gto4evr, thanks. I can't find any pics of this set-up. Any pics out there?

north 11-15-2019 07:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my 69 LeMans ragtop. In the first pic you can see the small buckle for the driver and right passenger that connect to the self adjusting retractors. The tongue (male) you see is for the optional shoulder belt (they are reversed on a ragtop-buckle outboard).

The rear lap belts (and the center front on bench seat application) use the manually adjusting larger buckle-tongue units. Note that these larger deluxe tongues are not interchangeable with the non-deluxe ones, they have a different shape and won't work properly if mismatched.

On convertibles with optional front shoulder belts (they were offered with or without deluxe belt option) the tongue bolts inboard at the driveshaft hump and the buckle bolts to the top frame mounting bracket, there is a small keep that bolts onto the rear armrest to keep them from flying around when not in use.

7T-GOAT 11-16-2019 04:44 PM

Then small deluxe buckle it is. Thanks North and the rest of y'all.

Mark Simiele 02-23-2020 12:26 AM

Tom, my apologies. Haven't been on here for a few months and just saw this. It looks like you found out what you needed. If you need help with front seat photos let me know. Hope you got the belts in with no issues.