PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Three On The Tree... (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833246)

spartazoo 08-18-2019 09:44 PM

Three On The Tree...

Who has seen a three on the tree GTO? I saw a base 66 for sale a few years ago. Needless to say, I was shocked.

ID67goat 08-18-2019 10:01 PM

Not a GTO, but I have a 70 firebird with 3 on the tree.....

Jeff Hamlin 08-19-2019 05:23 AM

This has been researched by a board member and it was shown that '66 was the only year to do this
and that just over 400 were assembled this way.
I myself have never seen one.
However after owning a '66 Drop-Top OHC Sprint with 3 on the column can say I wouldn't want one ;)

The Champ 08-19-2019 07:48 AM

Not on a GTO, but I owned an Opel Rekord in Germany with a 4 on the tree. Had a typical 4 spd pattern. To get to reverse you had to push a button on the end of the shifter, pull towards you and then push up....

gtohunter 08-19-2019 10:03 AM

Had a 70 ford country squire (family truckster) with manual steering, 351 with 3 on the tree. A beast to drive !

Elarson 08-19-2019 10:23 AM

I learned to drive and took my driver's test in a Brand F car with 3 on the tree. Good times.....thanks Mom!! I'm sure that whole arrangement would be a mystery to modern young drivers.

Eric

62cat 08-19-2019 10:28 AM

My first car was a 66 GTO 2sp auto on the column.

TAKerry 08-19-2019 10:34 AM

To the OP, never seen one. I have driven several though, 53 chevy, 67 f100, 70 Econoline, loved that shifting on the column. I saw a funny t shirt, had a 4 speed gear pattern and said "millennial anit theft device", 3 on the tree would def. be a mystery. Then again starting a model a or even driving a model t is impossible if one doesn't know the science involved.

62cat 08-19-2019 10:40 AM

First 3 ott I drove was a 51 Ford Victoria with a flathead.

OG68 08-19-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Champ (Post 6052770)
Not on a GTO, but I owned an Opel Rekord in Germany with a 4 on the tree. Had a typical 4 spd pattern. To get to reverse you had to push a button on the end of the shifter, pull towards you and then push up....

Several decades ago a friend had an early 60s Econoline window van with a 4 Spd on the column. Shifted like a regular four spd only sideways. Found out later this was a light duty English or German Ford four speed (Dagenheim?).

Hikin Mike 08-19-2019 11:05 AM

Can't say that I've seen one. My second car was a 66 Chevelle 235 w/3-speed on the tree. Fun, only recently learned how to drive a manual and drove my "new" car home. My dad was BEHIND me so in case I stalled in a hill, he'd rather me hit his car (company car) than a random driver.

unruhjonny 08-19-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartazoo (Post 6052684)
Who has seen a three on the tree GTO? I saw a base 66 for sale a few years ago. Needless to say, I was shocked.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin (Post 6052747)
This has been researched by a board member and it was shown that '66 was the only year to do this and that just over 400 were assembled this way.
I myself have never seen one.

Interesting;
I have come to understand that the column shifted three speed manual was reserved for 'low output' engines/drivetrains or trucks;
I wonder what happened for the 1966 model year that this became a thing - but was quickly remedied.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ID67goat (Post 6052694)
Not a GTO, but I have a 70 firebird with 3 on the tree.....

Some might think it sick of me, but this is something I'd I'd actually like to have, should ever means and opportunity align;
I realize this was relegated to base/Esprit models with either the inline six, or a 350-2bbl engine - but it would make an interesting, if not stylish cruiser ;)

Baron Von Zeppelin 08-19-2019 01:45 PM

Have seen a handful of 64-65 Tempest/Lemans with 3 on Tree -
but never encountered a GTO with it.

Quote:

Who has seen a three on the tree GTO? I saw a base 66 for sale a few years ago.
True Base by default was Buckets and 3 on the Floor, no console - GTO
Tree Climber or Bench Seat would have been two no-cost special order/ammended order alternates.

Do you remember if it was Bench or Buckets ?
Tree Climber with Buckets would be the hands down winner for oddest 66 GTO ever built, probably. Bench probably more likely - but any 3-Tree GTO is a prime candidate for the title.

unruhjonny 08-19-2019 02:27 PM

I wonder (not knowing early GTO base equipment) if the "floor shift" was maybe moved from base equipment?

Stuart 08-19-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unruhjonny (Post 6052910)
Interesting;
I have come to understand that the column shifted three speed manual was reserved for 'low output' engines/drivetrains or trucks;
I wonder what happened for the 1966 model year that this became a thing - but was quickly remedied.

Here is a link to the 1966 Pontiac Performance brochure: http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati...rmance-20.html It says the column shift three speed was standard, or a heavy duty floor shift three speed could be ordered. So, that would indicate the column shift transmission was not heavy duty - I don't know specifics for A body cars, does that mean a Saginaw transmission instead of an available Dearborn transmission?

edited to add: Interestingly, the link also has data on the Sprint OHC6, which had a three speed floor shift as standard. :)

ponyakr 08-19-2019 05:04 PM

Like a lot of old country boys, I've driven LOTS of vehicles, with 3-on-the-tree.

We had a Stude car & truck with it. Also had Ford cars & trucks, as well as Chevy & GMC trucks. Also took driver ed in a big Ford, with it. I'd already been driving for over 10 years. But, taking driver ed made my insurance cheaper, for my Dad.

I still remember how the new drivers, especially the girls, would make the car jump & jerk & go dead, some much worse than others.

TJ also took driver ed in a stick Ford. So, she didn't have any problem at all driving 4-speed Muclecars, or the 1-ton car haulers we had. On the street, she didn't have any auto trans street vehicles from '75 thru 2005. Bought a floor shift auto trans '06 Tacoma, which she still has.

But, I've never driven a Pontiac with a tree stick, and have never even seen one, that I remember.

Simple Man 08-19-2019 05:14 PM

Saw a 67 LeMans 4 door HT with 326/3 on the tree a few years ago. Nice lo miler, should have bought it.
Learned to drive a stick with a 71C10 250/3 on the tree. Dad also had a 69 Dodge D100 with a slant 6 and a 3 on the tree.

unruhjonny 08-19-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 6052946)
Here is a link to the 1966 Pontiac Performance brochure: http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati...rmance-20.html It says the column shift three speed was standard, or a heavy duty floor shift three speed could be ordered. So, that would indicate the column shift transmission was not heavy duty - I don't know specifics for A body cars, does that mean a Saginaw transmission instead of an available Dearborn transmission?

edited to add: Interestingly, the link also has data on the Sprint OHC6, which had a three speed floor shift as standard. :)

Interesting (I just took a minute to look at the link);
The details page you linked definately shows that a three-on-the-tree is standard, yet on page 16 (here) it shows a "Standard heavy-duty 3-speed with Hurst shifter..." middle colum, far left!?

This must have been a goof up on the part of PMD.

EDIT:, I just took a bit longer, it looks like that was the 2+2 options splash page;
The GTO one is on page 08-09 (here), and it clearly shows that floor shifted three speed as being extra cost;
Still seems silly.

The Champ 08-19-2019 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ponyakr (Post 6052980)
But, I've never driven a Pontiac with a tree stick, and have never even seen one, that I remember.

The second car I ever drove was my brother's 1950 Pontiac with a 3 on the tree back in about 1969 - 70...

Who knew that in 40+ years later, I'd actually be working on the same car?

My brother parked the car in 1972 and he passed away in 1993. My sister-in-law kept the car thinking one of her boys might want it until 2011. She lost her storage and asked me if I wanted it. I wasn't sure, but I trailered it home and got it started (on 40 year old gas) with just a battery, six spark plugs and a fan belt.

Ultimatley, after I got it running and safe to drive, I got my nephew to agree to take it. That's what his mother really wanted and I had my fun bring it back to life.

The photo was taken after I got it cleaned up and running. It's 100% original paint and the interior is actually in very good condition.

The car is now in Phoenix with my nephew.

unruhjonny 08-19-2019 05:38 PM

That's really cool!!

Hopefully your nephew learns to really appreciate it, and doesn't just sell it to the first seemingly serious offer...