PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   High Port crossover/ timing cover misalignment (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837132)

Dragncar 01-13-2020 05:23 PM

High Port crossover/ timing cover misalignment

Has anyone ever just made a water crossover that actually aligns with the hole in the timing cover. Just cut out the section and raised it up to match.
I do not see why it can not be done. Aluminum welding is not my thing but I could get my Lincoln 180 amp 220V welder ready to do the fabrication.
Cut up 2 aluminum crossovers and fab it together so it aligns up.
But it usually does not work well without a spool gun at least and no Tig at home. It would be ugly.
I could make one out of steel but it would not look good either.
KRE should just cast some up, I bet they would sell.
I keep hearing about the front cylinders running hot if I just plug the holes like most do. Pump gas engine, it would be a problem.
How much is the offset ? Looks like around 3/4" from the picks I have seen.

slowbird 01-13-2020 05:53 PM

Why would the front cylinders run hot because that's blocked? Not sure who you're listening to but i'd stop listening

GTOGEORGE 01-13-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowbird (Post 6099995)
Why would the front cylinders run hot because that's blocked? Not sure who you're listening to but i'd stop listening

Ditto!

GTO George

Skip Fix 01-13-2020 06:17 PM

The timing cover to crossover holes are just a bypass(Chevies actually have a hose there). So no big deal to plug it, maybe drill a couple of small holes in the thermostat if you are using one.

Hooter 01-13-2020 07:09 PM

I’ve had a that hole plugged on my street and race car for years with no issues.

firechicken 01-13-2020 08:04 PM

Mine is plugged no issues.
I wanted it plugged so all hot coolant from the heads had to go through the radiator instead of the hot bypass straight back to the engine.

Scott Stoneburg 01-13-2020 08:12 PM

I have also had the by pass hole plugged for years. I had no negative heating issues from plugging it. I do not run a thermostat, just a restrictor plate.

PAUL K 01-13-2020 10:51 PM

You can run without the bypass channel connected and you will have more uniform cooling... however if you're using a thermostat it won't open consistently. That issue can be solved by adding by-pass holes like Skip suggested.

Hooter 01-14-2020 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAUL K (Post 6100118)
You can run without the bypass channel connected and you will have more uniform cooling... however if you're using a thermostat it won't open consistently. That issue can be solved by adding by-pass holes like Skip suggested.

X2 on jacking up the thermostat without drilling holes in it. Took me a while to figure that out.

Dragncar 01-14-2020 12:31 AM

I understand people have been just plugging the holes and getting by. But I do not think it would be hard to make one work as intended either. Anyone ever make one ?

tom s 01-14-2020 11:10 AM

The question to your post is why.Just does not seem the "juice is worth the squeeze"Tom

Mark G 01-14-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom s (Post 6100247)
The question to your post is why.Just does not seem the "juice is worth the squeeze"Tom

Well said Tom ..lol

gtokid1968 01-14-2020 09:52 PM

If I am getting this straight, most of you guys are running lines from the back of the heads to the crossover under the thermostat and blocking the front holes that were for the crossover?

Hooter 01-14-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtokid1968 (Post 6100443)
If I am getting this straight, most of you guys are running lines from the back of the heads to the crossover under the thermostat and blocking the front holes that were for the crossover?

That’s what I do.

janderson 01-15-2020 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtokid1968 (Post 6100443)

What is on mine:
The crossover and timing cover are both plugged where they would meet.
Restrictor in crossover in place of thermostat.
-8 lines from rear of heads (connected above restrictor) to outlet housing.

chuckies76ta 01-15-2020 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janderson (Post 6100489)
What is on mine:

Any chance you could post pics of your setup. Thanks

chuckies76ta 01-15-2020 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6100152)
I understand people have been just plugging the holes and getting by. But I do not think it would be hard to make one work as intended either. Anyone ever make one ?

I though about this if I would have run the HP heads. My son is a welder and what I was gonna do was straight cut across the bypass, then lower it to match timing cover, then Aluminum weld together. I think it's an easy fab job.

chuckies76ta 01-15-2020 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooter (Post 6100454)
That’s what I do.

Can some of you guys explain the benefits of blocking the cross over, then running lines from the back of the heads to the cross over.?

Thanks

janderson 01-15-2020 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by janderson (Post 6100489)
What is on mine:

Only pic I have on my tablet.
If you need more detail, I can probably dig something up.

janderson 01-15-2020 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckies76ta (Post 6100516)
Any chance you could post pics of your setup. Thanks

Only pic that I have on my tablet.
If you need more detail, I can probably dig something up.