PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=420)
-   -   Leak After New Install (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840735)

Koppster 05-17-2020 03:23 PM

Leak After New Install

4 Attachment(s)
For those not following, I had a weep-hole leak and decided to replace my pump with an aluminum Flowkooler, new hoses and a new Stainless Steel divider plate.

I uses Permatex ultra grey very lightly on the thin gaskets that came with the Flowkooler and very carefully torqued all 11 bolts to 15 foot lbs. I let it set for 2 days before putting 50/50 in it and after about 3 minutes it started leaking.

Bad gasket? Divider plate?

Thanks,
Rick

dataway 05-17-2020 05:41 PM

You don't have the divider plate trapped between the pump housing and the timing cover do you?

Koppster 05-18-2020 10:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I can't see a smoking gun, the plate looks a little bent but it should have cinched up with torque. Any thoughts, observations?

Koppster 05-18-2020 10:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More pics

439gto 05-18-2020 11:15 AM

Bolt bottoming, or tight in the threads?

Koppster 05-18-2020 11:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 439gto (Post 6142159)
Bolt bottoming, or tight in the threads?

Ya know what, you may have nailed it. I ordered a new set of bolts from Ames and all 9 of those type bolts were exactly the same size. My old bolt set had 1 of the 9 shorter than the other 8 (see image).

See the pics, with the same size bolt in all 3 holes one shows more threads than the others when hand tight. When I swap that bolt with the shorter from my old install it goes in much further hand tight.

dataway 05-18-2020 01:21 PM

Nice call 439!

Koppster 05-18-2020 02:05 PM

I compared the Flowkooler to my old pump and it seems to be the same height at the bolt mounts. I am planning to put it back together using the short bolt in that one hole, hope it doesn't leak.

Koppster 05-18-2020 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 69TempestCustomS (Post 6142274)
it could be that the bolts are bottoming in the holes?are you using a stainless divider plate? it looks like one.

if your using a stainless plate. return it. explain why it does not work. get a carbon steel one and hope they start producing one of the proper alloy that does not warp badly and work harden so badly that it cannot flatten and seal.

I am using the stainless steel but to your point, I am considering using the plate I had in there with my old pump. See the attached picture, there is some minor pitting I wire brushed but I believe it would be okay...thoughts?

Koppster 05-18-2020 05:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Looks the same as the steel plate I pulled out.

Koppster 05-20-2020 10:51 AM

Not quite ready to declare victory, I need some expertise.

Everything is back together, torqued and I let it set overnight before adding back some distilled water. I checked out pressure tester from O'Reilley's and it has been sitting rock steady at 16 psi for over an hour.

My question is, since the system has been drained should I have ran the engine for a while before the pressure test to circulate H2O throughout? I'm guessing there is about 4.5 gallons in the system now.

Thanks,
Rick

Pepi 05-21-2020 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koppster (Post 6142834)
Not quite ready to declare victory, I need some expertise.

Everything is back together, torqued and I let it set overnight before adding back some distilled water. I checked out pressure tester from O'Reilley's and it has been sitting rock steady at 16 psi for over an hour.

My question is, since the system has been drained should I have ran the engine for a while before the pressure test to circulate H2O throughout? I'm guessing there is about 4.5 gallons in the system now.

Thanks,
Rick

I don't think that would be necessary. If there was a lot of air in there, it just would have taken a lot more to pump it up because the air compresses. If it is holding for an hour all is good.