PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=424)
-   -   No power to blower motor (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835878)

tjs72lemans 11-23-2019 09:38 PM

No power to blower motor

This car was apart and am getting it together. I tested the blower motor and it runs good and quiet. I installed a new high blower relay (was missing). Turned key forward to run and no speeds on switch work to blower with dash switch slid over to heat (A/C car). Fuse is good. Could the switch be bad?

Stuart 11-23-2019 10:04 PM

What make, model and year is the car?

"QUICK-SILVER" 11-24-2019 12:45 PM

Did you check both ends of the fuse with a test light? Looks good doesn't mean they are good. Accessory power, from ignition switch, goes through the fuse first then to the fan switch.

If your confident there's power going to the fan switch....Go under the hood and see if power is making it to the blower resistor.

just a starting place
Clay

tjs72lemans 11-24-2019 09:18 PM

This is a 72 Lemans.

..Go under the hood and see if power is making it to the blower resistor.
You mean to the high blower relay? That is where the blower motor wiring comes. Or, is the blower resistor tied into this too? I did replace the blower resistor with new also.
I'll check the fuse with a test light.

"QUICK-SILVER" 11-25-2019 09:09 AM

Blower resistor regulates current for fan speeds other than high.

High fan trips the blower relay and sends more power to the fan. That power comes from the back of the alternator.

Yes it's all tied together with a single wire going to the fan motor.

Clay

tjs72lemans 11-25-2019 08:35 PM

Thanks for that info.

tjs72lemans 11-30-2019 11:02 AM

My fuse tests good. No power to any one of the three terminals on the blower motor resistor with ignition in run mode. Does that send me back to the switch on dash to look for power?

johnta1 11-30-2019 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check that there is 12 volts at fuse terminal.
(that terminal to ground with VOM should be 12 volts)

If 12 volts there check that the wire to connector on switch has 12 volts.

If all have 12 volts then switch is bad.

:confused:

tjs72lemans 12-01-2019 08:25 PM

I have 12 volts at the fuse. But, using my test light at the brown wire going to switch was just a tad below 12 volts. I had a hard time unplugging the lead, so I poked the wire with my test light and checked the voltage off the test light. So, I assume my reading of 11.97 was because some of the power was going to light the test light. Does the switch need 12 volts to work or should it work at 11.97? Does this also mean the switch is then bad, not flowing current through it?

johnta1 12-01-2019 10:15 PM

11.97 v is good.
If the wire coming out of the switch has no voltage, the switch is bad?

:(

johnta1 12-01-2019 10:19 PM

Can you see the wiring connector coming out of the switch?
Should be three wires I think?

See if any of those have 12 volts with switch on.
Usually though if resistor is bad, it would still have high speed at blower.
(high uses 12 volts)

tjs72lemans 12-02-2019 06:26 PM

I have the radio out and the glove box out so I can view from the front with a light and my hand through the glove box to grab wires. If I remember correctly, there were two wires going in (one brown) and there were some other wires next to it (I believe grey for one). I was going to ask what color would be the power out to check. At least before I go through the hassle of tearing the heater switch out of dash.

johnta1 12-02-2019 08:41 PM

Brown is power for the blower.
Gray/grey is usually a light bulb power.

:)

tjs72lemans 12-03-2019 09:38 PM

Brown is power for the blower (coming out of the switch or going into the switch)? Because I tested a brown wire that led into the switch, but I assumed that was not power coming out. How do I know?

johnta1 12-03-2019 11:08 PM

Correct, brown to switch, then 3 wires come out but think black is one of them for high. (black would be 12 volts, other colors less voltage)

tjs72lemans 12-07-2019 10:53 PM

I found some issues that need to be addressed. I found I do have power to the blower motor resistor. But, only if I unplugged the high blower relay. Apparently I have the wrong relay, as it doesn't give me a any blower speed. I get nothing from that. My fan has four speeds and I get the first three without the relay. If I plug in the relay I get no power to blower motor resistor.

tjs72lemans 12-14-2019 08:58 PM

Update

I got the correct high blower motor relay and I now have high on blower motor, Woohoo! But, for some reason I don't have low. I actually have a fan on low, but it's the same speed as switched to the level two. So, my switch has 4 speeds, but one and two are the same speed. That's fine I guess, since the low I had before with the relay unplugged seemed like it wouldn't blow much air anyway. Just not sure why that happened.