PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tri-Power Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=569)
-   -   I think I'm done with the foam air filters (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842531)

Rich-Tripower 07-19-2020 01:39 PM

I think I'm done with the foam air filters

I was inspecting the foam air filters yesterday and found them to be falling apart. They also don't do a great job of actually holding the oil on the filter element, it eventually drains down into the base and makes a mess (and yes, I only oil them lightly but evenly). Given the cost and questionable effectiveness of the foam filters I think I'm going to switch to GM paper filters and be done with it.

When we restored the car we went with the reproduction foams that do not have the AC logo. Are the reproductions with the AC logo any better? They cost more than twice as much.

I like the look of the foam filters, but if they don't work all that well and don't last the expense seems to not be worth it.

Old Man Taylor 07-19-2020 02:27 PM

I gave up on the foam a long time ago.

Kenth 07-19-2020 03:13 PM

I have always considered the foam filters show items only.

389 07-19-2020 04:54 PM

There a lot of fun after a back fire lol..

bob d 07-19-2020 05:37 PM

Foam Filters

When we rebuilt my tripower. I bought Napa Gold 2032 filters. They work great.

Jerry H. 07-19-2020 08:19 PM

I agree with Kenth. You can still buy the AC replacement paper filters.

mgarblik 07-20-2020 06:18 PM

I love the look of the foam elements. I had no problem with the AC imprinted foams falling apart. But they don't trap dirt and work nearly as well as paper. If I was driving the car much, I would use paper.

Dick Boneske 07-21-2020 11:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The foam filters made by REM often come apart at the seam. I've had good success re-attaching the ends with 3M weatherstrip adhesive (black). You'd think after all these years, they'd use a better glue. I believe the same material is used for the ones marked with AC as the earlier ones. I have some made by Paul Rodkey that may use a different media.

There has always been controversy about the effectiveness/air flow ability of foam vs. paper. The OEM foam was much more dense than the repro product.

Since we drive our cars mostly to shows, we leave the foams in place at all times. I believe paper is more effective in removing dirt from the airstream, but someone else will have to chime in on airflow.

Rich-Tripower 07-22-2020 11:43 PM

Paper filters on the car now, they look good. Foams were getting worse than I was even aware.

Bob Timmermans 08-02-2020 05:28 AM

The fact that most production cars use paper filters is reason enough for me to not use foam.
If there was any upside on foam it would get used in production,

Only usefull in short dirt track races , were you wash them after every race.

chrisp 08-02-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower (Post 6163332)
Paper filters on the car now, they look good. Foams were getting worse than I was even aware.

The 1st or 2nd design ? In what way ?

Rich-Tripower 08-02-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisp (Post 6166315)
The 1st or 2nd design ? In what way ?

The foam was falling apart.

chrisp 08-03-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower (Post 6166329)
The foam was falling apart.

Must have been the 1st. maker REM that has the glue seam & no lip top & bottom to seal the screen , Is that the one ?

Dick Boneske 08-03-2020 08:43 AM

Nearly all the REM foams separate at the seam. There is no lip like the OEM foams, diameter is smaller, and the foam cells are much larger than OEM.

I believe there are no surviving OEM foams today. I had some NOS ones in boxes that crumbled when removed from the box.

I remember seeing a comparison of air flow between foam filters & paper showing paper better than foam in every way except appearance. Anyone else have info on this?

Rich-Tripower 08-03-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisp (Post 6166548)
Must have been the 1st. maker REM that has the glue seam & no lip top & bottom to seal the screen , Is that the one ?

Yes, the ones without the AC logo. The seams are fine, but foam itself is just coming apart.

chrisp 11-06-2020 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower (Post 6166574)
Yes, the ones without the AC logo. The seams are fine, but foam itself is just coming apart.

A/C inside double circle ? or just plain A193C ? Post a picture.

Goatracer1 11-06-2020 06:24 PM

I always use the K&N filters. They look better than the dirty paper ones and have never had a problem with them. I have 3 NOS AC paper filters incase I ever want a show car.

Tom Vaught 11-07-2020 10:07 AM

I was hitting the Junk Yards, in the later 1960s (68-70) and the Tri-Power units I saw in the yards for the most part had the screens and the top and bottom lids on the Tri-Powers intact and the foams would be completely gone from the intakes. They just fell apart, even in the 60s.

I have run the, I believe) AC220C Paper filters forever. Thanks for the Napa Gold 2032 filters information.

Tom V.

Rich-Tripower 11-08-2020 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisp (Post 6193076)
A/C inside double circle ? or just plain A193C ? Post a picture.

Here's what they looked like on the car before they started falling apart. The foam was just crumbling in my hands.

chrisp 11-10-2020 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower (Post 6193995)
Here's what they looked like on the car before they started falling apart. The foam was just crumbling in my hands.

They are the 1st design made by REM 7 are very poor quality.